Preview Rookie draft - picks 18, 36, 53 & 65

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Langford is a late bloomer, like his father and older brother. He is still in the mid to late stages of puberty.
I like your footer Wbby. I work with Huddo at Bupa. He's a champion bloke, very friendly, super popular within Bupa and clients, humble, loves a chat about the Hawks ...faultless!

i like Hardisty the best. A tough inside ball magnet with elite running skills who has already proven himself at senior level :eek:
Yes I like players who know how to get where the ball is. Its something you cannot teach a player, just instinct. However when he gets there hope he has the skill to execute, I think he has.

Welcome to our our newest aquistions at the club, good luck,work hard boys.I feel as though our recruiting guys may of done it again,only if i had a crystal ball.

Just for my information, can anyone educate me why there is a rookie draft? Why can't all candidates be selected from one giant pool and then treated as a larger squad? The rookies are paid less, but clubs could adjust the pay structure appropriately.

Basically Rookies get 1 year deals while national draftees get a minimum 2. Thats the main difference and the idea is there is more turnover on the rookie list and clubs are more likely to give someone a go if they only have to sign 1 year deal and cna pay them less, its also not counted in the cap. As to why they need to be upgraded to play, I guess its a money thing as they alsso get paid more once upgraded.

You could just have one draft and picks after say 70 can be given 1 year deals and paid less it would be the same thing I guess.

Welcome Lachie! Gotta lot of work to do in the gym however!
View attachment 95881
I think he has some work to do on his hairstyle too. I can imagine him in 6 years time looking back and thinking why did I think that looked good?

Get Duryea onto him and he can sort him out with a good haircut

Found this write up...
Jared Hardisty – 179cm – 85kg - Small Midfielder (Claremont)

Stengths: Disposal by both hand and foot, strength over the ball, ball winning ability.

Weaknesses: Pace at the highest level.

Hard as nails contested ball winning midfielder. Hardisty has a short and stocky body, but uses every ounce of it. Loves a contests and is always seen at the bottom of the packs dishing the ball out.

However i get the feeling that if his inside game isn't viewed as being strong enough he won't attract much interest from AFL clubs unless he proves he's a little more well rounded. He has improved his body shape and looks fitter in 2014 than he did last year. I hope he impresses in the U18 champs and gets picked up because he's beautiful long left foot on him that can be used to great affect and is an absolute competitor.

One of my favorites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he impresses in the U18 champs and gets picked up because he's beautiful long left foot on him that can be used to great affect and is an absolute competitor.

Sold me on the bolded bit :)

Hard as nails contested ball winning midfielder. Hardisty has a short and stocky body, but uses every ounce of it. Loves a contests and is always seen at the bottom of the packs dishing the ball out.

Meh, sounds like that kid who played for us in the 70s and a bit of the 80s. Ol' what's his name. Um... Kelvin Matthew's brother. Can't think of his name atm, maybe someone could research it for me? Do we want another one of those?

Meh, sounds like that kid who played for us in the 70s and a bit of the 80s. Ol' what's his name. Um... Kelvin Matthew's brother. Can't think of his name atm, maybe someone could research it for me? Do we want another one of those?
Not sure who you mean, but if he can knock out a couple of Cats, he would be useful.

Found this write up...

Stengths: Disposal by both hand and foot, strength over the ball, ball winning ability.

However i get the feeling that if his inside game isn't viewed as being strong enough he won't attract much interest from AFL clubs unless he proves he's a little more well rounded. He has improved his body shape and looks fitter in 2014 than he did last year. I hope he impresses in the U18 champs and gets picked up because he's beautiful long left foot on him that can be used to great affect and is an absolute competitor.

One of my favorites.

Can someone remind me if Diesel was left foot or right foot.

Found this write up...

One of my favorites.

Some were comparing him to Campbell Brown (body shape mostly I think) which is interesting because the main knock on him seems to be his lack of pace. Brown was one of the slowest players I'd seen for his size when he arrived at Hawthorn and in the end pace was probably one of his assets. Whatever Brown did worked and if Hardisty can do the same looks like he might make it. What can a player do to increase pace? Other than run down hill in a gale....

Lachlan Langford is the club taking a chance, 5 games of football and 2 training sessions is them taking a punt, i'm guessing this spot was Harry Dear's until Adel picked him?

Exactly. He isn't even some guy plucked from a country league, he's come from... just school football. It's a huge reach even for the rookie draft.

Good use of Jennifer Lawrence there...
I'm not one to actually be cheerleading whenever we sign a new player but comparing Hardisty to be a poor man's Hallahan is pretty ridiculous when Hardisty does all the grunt work Hallahan does plus has better disposal and better athletic ability covering the ground. Blakely was a surprise that he didn't go but for no club to pick him up at all, you would think his interviews must have went poorly.
Less ridiculous than the wild claims that he's the next Sam Mitchell already and only a problem if you don't rate Hallahan at all.

Considering only 1/4 rookies even make it as a footballer at this level it's really not that bad to be considered having a ceiling of a fringe-AFL player.

Some were comparing him to Campbell Brown (body shape mostly I think) which is interesting because the main knock on him seems to be his lack of pace. Brown was one of the slowest players I'd seen for his size when he arrived at Hawthorn and in the end pace was probably one of his assets. Whatever Brown did worked and if Hardisty can do the same looks like he might make it. What can a player do to increase pace? Other than run down hill in a gale....

Depends on what he already knows. Acceleration can be greatly increased with a simple piece of knowledge.

Speed can be increased to some extent regardless, and i've heard of at least one club working on player's running styles for efficiency and speed, so I assume they all do it.

Depends on what he already knows. Acceleration can be greatly increased with a simple piece of knowledge.

Love to be let in on the knowledge.......my son plays elite level soccer but acceleration and pace are the weakest part of his game.
If you've got something we could work with I'd appreciate the tip! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back