Rookie Draft & PSD prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

13Beast

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2011
Yokohama
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What are your thoughts/advice/hot tips/eager desires on the rookie draft prospects?

Considering we missed out on Wines, and snapped up Mayes instead (who'll probably be a flanker/fwd before moving into the midfield at some indeterminable point in the future) and then two very mobile utility/fwds, we missed out on that hard-nut inside player for the engine room...So, I'd love to see somebody like Pongracic get picked. A hard-nut, contested ball-winner.

What are your thoughts/advice/hot tips/eager desires on the rookie draft prospects?

Considering we missed out on Wines, and snapped up Mayes instead (who'll probably be a flanker/fwd before moving into the midfield at some indeterminable point in the future) and then two very mobile utility/fwds, we missed out on that hard-nut inside player for the engine room...So, I'd love to see somebody like Pongracic get picked. A hard-nut, contested ball-winner.
Pongracic was my first thought too, very surprised he didn't get picked.
If only Clay Cameron had slid through.
Surely Dayle Garlett will get a run in the rookie draft? Elite prospective talent. You'd think a good cultured club could give him a chance.

Plenty available in the RD would really like Cachia from Norwood. He fills an inside need other than that I don't know much about him. Oh yeah he also played for Carlton.

Surely Dayle Garlett will get a run in the rookie draft? Elite prospective talent. You'd think a good cultured club could give him a chance.

Apart from the salary you pay them, I don't see much difference between having them on the senior list as opposed to the rookie list. Maybe being able to cut them after a year if it doesn't work? But you're still bringing a player into your club who you view as being potentially disruptive. Where they list on the club list is irrelvant if there thing you're worried about is club culture.

We'd have to cut someone to take on a rookie, wouldn't we? Michael, Newell, Wrigley and Clarke; isn't that our lot?

Nah, there's two rookie lists.

The normal rookie list can have four players. We've got Wrigley, Clarke and maybe Newell.
Then there's the "developmental" rookie list, which counts for Irish guys, NSW scholarship kids, zone selections for NSW/Qld, other international rookies and alternative talent kids (IIRC). It can have three players, and we've got Michael and maybe Newell on it.

So depending on where Newell fits in we've either got 2 normal slots and 1 developmental slot or 1 normal slot and 2 development slots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The normal rookie list can have four players. We've got Wrigley, Clarke and maybe Newell.
Then there's the "developmental" rookie list, which counts for Irish guys, NSW scholarship kids, zone selections for NSW/Qld, other international rookies and alternative talent kids (IIRC). It can have three players, and we've got Michael and maybe Newell on it.

So depending on where Newell fits in we've either got 2 normal slots and 1 developmental slot or 1 normal slot and 2 development slots.

This would be my understanding - potential for up to 3 if some were Qld zone selections. However rumour around among the local boys that as Lions financial situation poor may not fill all potential rookie spots this year? This would be a pity if true, as probably means a couple of local under 18's such as Boston, Bourke or one of the other potential local project players will miss out on an opportunity...

This would be my understanding - potential for up to 3 if some were Qld zone selections. However rumour around among the local boys that as Lions financial situation poor may not fill all potential rookie spots this year? This would be a pity if true, as probably means a couple of local under 18's such as Boston, Bourke or one of the other potential local project players will miss out on an opportunity...

The Lions have pretty rarely filled their rookie slots over the last five years for financial or other reasons so that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought those exemptions were ending.

Obviously depends who gets through the PSD. Of those left guys I would like us to consider include:

Garlett - top 5 talent. We have worked on puting together a mature group of kids. Back the them and the support staff in.

Rodda - KPD 196cm, 98kgs, runs a 2.91 20m, massive leg, good kid.

Colquhoun - not a world of difference between he and Macrae. I would back him to make it and well worth a rookie pick.

Hardy - mature 196cm KPF won the SANFL goal kicking. Fair chance he would impact at AFL level.

Warrell - hugely talented kid. Very like Simpson who went in the first round. Some off field issues but get him out of that environment and he should go alright I think.

Rioli - I liked him a lot in the NEAFL finals. Worth a punt.

Flaherty - NEAFL East Rising Star. Big KPF who I liked a lot at the Champs. Can play back and as a mobile target up on the wing as well. Plenty of worse players got drafted.

Llaine Wilkins - lots of athetic talent and some skill but lacks a bit in contested situations. Rookie draft was made for guys like him. Could be a very good pick up.

Leinhert - KPD likely still growing. Good pace and a big kick on him.

Jack Frost - another KPD. Was the form big defender in the VFL finals. Worked back from injury and looked the goods at year end.

Appleton - absolute magnet. Inside outside player who was exceptional at under 18 level in SA. Struggled a bit with the bigger bodies in seniors. If he adjusted he could be an excellent pick up. High ceiling.

Shane Nelson - small ball magnet with elite pace. Remodelled his game this year and took the WAFL by storm. Someone will rookie him surely.

Qlders

Bourke - only had one year in the under 18s and struggled a little bit. Was named in the top 25 talent before the start of the year though and if we gave him a chance he could come good.

Boston - not the biggest fan of his but the Qld slots are there to use and we may as well do so. Very nice kick but needs to win more of his own ball.

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought those exemptions were ending.

There are some changes - everyone used to have three (?) more rookie slots during the expansion years and those are now gone. We used to have three spots specifically for Qld rookies, but that's now been rolled into these all-purpose "developmental" slots.

Obviously depends who gets through the PSD. Of those left guys I would like us to consider include:

Garlett - top 5 talent. We have worked on puting together a mature group of kids. Back the them and the support staff in.

Rodda - KPD 196cm, 98kgs, runs a 2.91 20m, massive leg, good kid.

Colquhoun - not a world of difference between he and Macrae. I would back him to make it and well worth a rookie pick.

Hardy - mature 196cm KPF won the SANFL goal kicking. Fair chance he would impact at AFL level.

Warrell - hugely talented kid. Very like Simpson who went in the first round. Some off field issues but get him out of that environment and he should go alright I think.

Rioli - I liked him a lot in the NEAFL finals. Worth a punt.

Flaherty - NEAFL East Rising Star. Big KPF who I liked a lot at the Champs. Can play back and as a mobile target up on the wing as well. Plenty of worse players got drafted.

Llaine Wilkins - lots of athetic talent and some skill but lacks a bit in contested situations. Rookie draft was made for guys like him. Could be a very good pick up.

Leinhert - KPD likely still growing. Good pace and a big kick on him.

Jack Frost - another KPD. Was the form big defender in the VFL finals. Worked back from injury and looked the goods at year end.

Appleton - absolute magnet. Inside outside player who was exceptional at under 18 level in SA. Struggled a bit with the bigger bodies in seniors. If he adjusted he could be an excellent pick up. High ceiling.

Shane Nelson - small ball magnet with elite pace. Remodelled his game this year and took the WAFL by storm. Someone will rookie him surely.

Qlders

Bourke - only had one year in the under 18s and struggled a little bit. Was named in the top 25 talent before the start of the year though and if we gave him a chance he could come good.

Boston - not the biggest fan of his but the Qld slots are there to use and we may as well do so. Very nice kick but needs to win more of his own ball.

Thanks, Quigley. Great summary of the "who's who" available in the Rookie Draft.

Assuming the club uses 1-2 picks, who would be your ideal top candidates?

Personally, after drafting 3 quasi-forwards who can potentially play a number of positions, I'm thinking of going for a pure 'vanilla' one-position player - such as an inside ball magnet/endurance machine like Nelson (great work ethic and is hungry to get a chance at the big game), a talented speedster like Garlett (worth a punt on pure god-given talent alone) or a big, burly gorilla KPD like Rodda.

Then again, all my knowledge is gleaned from BF, and various media sources on the web. Never seen any play.

Interested to hear what people's thoughts are if we absolutely only had one or maybe two picks to use. And also, what people surmise the club might do...

Given our depth I'd go for either locals or roughies (like Justin Clarke). We don't need rookies that will be able to play in the next 1 or 2 years. The only experience I'd go after would be a ruck as backup.

A project like Aiiir Aiiir (spelling?) would suit us I think.

I know we've discussed before but can't remember what the outcome was but isn't the rookie list next year reducing from 8 to 6? Given the vets list has been removed and the primary list extended to 40 the number of veterans doesn't have an effect on rookie list sizes anymore? Therefore we have (depending on how our current rookies are classified) at least 2 regular spots and 3 qld zone rookies available. If Michael is classed as a QLD rookie then we have 3 regular and two QLD.

The memo from the AFL clearly states a maximum of 6 rookies and 3 alternative rookies. Am I missing something?

Also, how about Matthew Haynes? Apparently he is the fastest guy in the draft and plays on the wing. Now unselected, and through to the rookie draft.

Absolutely no chance you'll pick up Garlett.

I'd imagine Andrew Boston is one you'll definitely look at.

Justin Hardy's a big 196cm power forward who won the SANFL equivalent of the Coleman Medal this year, he'd suit you extremely well I think.

I was also confused by the memo given that several recent articles have clearly stated that clubs can have max 4 standard rookies next year. This seems to be supported by fact that several clubs have had to shuffle players between main and rookie lists over last month to try to have only 4 rookies - eg Geelong have ended up with 4 retained rookies which was stated as the reason they can't rookie list Bourke even if they wanted to, and its been reported that although essendon are considering offering Fields a father son rookie spot, they already have 3 rookies and another player they have committed to move to rookie list, so to list him they would have to put someone on main list given limit of 4 standard rookies

So my take on recent articles and what teams are actually doing with their lists is that the limit is 4 next year. Sure will all be clarified in coming days with final list lodgement due at end next week.

Therefore my take is the Lions can certainly have 4 + 3 working on the 4 max. Question will be if they are all filled - rumour is probably not?

As a keen supporter of local football in Qld, I think from a marketing / local interest / development point of view there is significant benefits to the Lions and Suns having a couple of Qld rookies if there are players felt up to it, even if they are speculative development players. After last night with Cameron the only Qld draftee, if neither the Lions or Suns take any Qld rookies after the state 18's had their best season for about 5 years and the NEAFL continues to develop, it would be quite deflating for all those involved in local footy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back