Toast Rookie pick #11: Welcome to the kennel Bradley Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
CUxs9XtUYAAWNTp.jpg

187cm/80kg raw, rebounding defender from WA.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-10-19/wa-draft-smokeys-strut-their-stuff
West Perth's Marcus Adams was one of the quickest over 20m while 18-year-old Brad Lynch, also from Swan Districts, registered scores in speed and agility at the elite end of the scale.

"In terms of pure football talent Brad is as good as we've had come through our system. Vision, skill awareness and ability to go off both sides of his body is actually quite special. I've been here since 2008 and I haven't seen someone with that sort of movement off both sides the way he can do it. So he's highly talented, has a good frame at 186cm to be a rangy wingman. His major issue will be his ability to win his own ball and that's something that will be a focus for him moving forward. On the outside, with time and space, he's certainly a special player." - Swan Districts coach Greg Harding

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-27/rookie-draft-selections
Pick 11 – Brad Lynch

Height: 187cm

Weight: 70kg

Club: Swan Districts

Raw rebounding defender from Swan Districts (W.A) who is composed under pressure and possesses excellent foot skills on both sides of the body. Tested in the elite category for both speed and agility.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsu:

Never heard of him but his coach does paint an interesting picture in that a lack of inside game is the main thing holding him back. Sounds like he's ridiculously athletic.

Wow, really like the look of him. Love that Dal keeps finding great athletes with crazy potential in the Rookie draft, like JJ and Dahlhaus. This kid looks like the perfect potential replacement for Bob. Same height, great speed and agility and foot skills either side.

Is it just me or does Dal like to go for late bloomers (physically). Seems a really smart idea, like Macrae, who grew 5cm or something after we got him. If this kid grows a few more cm we could potentially have a 190+cm athletic rebounding defender. Bailey Williams is in the same boat, grew 2cm in the last couple of months, maybe Dal is hoping he grows a few more cm and we get a 190+cm super talent.

Wow, really like the look of him. Love that Dal keeps finding great athletes with crazy potential in the Rookie draft, like JJ and Dahlhaus. This kid looks like the perfect potential replacement for Bob. Same height, great speed and agility and foot skills either side.

Is it just me or does Dal like to go for late bloomers (physically). Seems a really smart idea, like Macrae, who grew 5cm or something after we got him. If this kid grows a few more cm we could potentially have a 190+cm athletic rebounding defender. Bailey Williams is in the same boat, grew 2cm in the last couple of months, maybe Dal is hoping he grows a few more cm and we get a 190+cm super talent.

I'd say that Dal likes the late bloomers who come into their own later in the season. You know, the ones who have been building for an entire season when fatigue and stress is setting in.

Goetz is similar - suddenly emerging from obscurity. Dal snaps them up before they come at a prohibitive price.

The cynic in me sees this guy turning into another Fuller. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Btw that first photo is really unflattering. He looks grotty.
Upper cut, followed by a right hook.
Easty is looking forward to sponsoring you in 2016, Brad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From his highlights (find them here) he looks outstanding with ball in hand. I imagine his off-the-ball game will need a lot of work but he seems to have a lot of attributes to work with. Like the look of him.
It'd have to be terrible for him to last until the Rookie draft. He looks to have everything else.

I'd say that Dal likes the late bloomers who come into their own later in the season. You know, the ones who have been building for an entire season when fatigue and stress is setting in.

Yep, makes perfect sense. Drafting kids who are still growing (physically and mentally) is extremely complex and potentially very rewarding.
For example:
My best mate was a man child, 175cm or something and built like a truck as a 14yr old, his skills weren't great but his size for his age was off the charts. He made Calder Cannons as 15 yr old and dominated. On the other hand I was tiny in comparison, even though I had better skills, my size kept me as a forward pocket and I never got a look in for the Cannons. Just getting named in the bests was a highlight for me. But towards the end of u18's I had a huge growth spurt and in the space of a few months the tables turned completely. With size came confidence and all of a sudden I was 185cm'ish and was finally let to run in the midfield. I still wasn't even close to good enough to make Calder or anything like that (it was too little too late anyway), but I went from a small role player to actually making a contribution for our team most games.
My mate on the other hand didn't grow an inch and his skills started to get exposed because he didn't have a huge physical advantage any more. He eventually got dropped from Calder because he was too small -he was exactly the same height as when he was 14 (sub 175cm)- and ended up just playing local footy like the rest of us even though everyone was certain he would make the AFL when he was 15-16.

So I think Dal aiming for kids who have late growth spurts is genius. Kids like Bont and Macrae weren't even playing rep footy until very late growth spurts IIRC (David King had to beg to get Macrae a shot at the Charges after he had a late growth spurt as 18 yr old IIRC). Macrae continued growing even after being drafted as 187cm to eventually 191cm+.

In the end though a lot of it comes down to luck. Unlike the College>NBA/NFL system where you're drafting young adults (19-21) and you know exactly what you're getting physically, our system can produce some real surprises and I think Dal was ahead of the curve with his drafting aiming for late bloomers. Now everyone's following, like Melb this year with Oliver. If it wasn't for Bont/Macrae's success I doubt Melb would have used pick 3 on a kid who didn't even play in the Championships.

The cynic in me sees this guy turning into another Fuller. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Btw that first photo is really unflattering. He looks grotty.

I remember seeing Fullers vid and going wtf? It was just clip after clip of him getting the ball sideways in space and banging it long.

These vids show a bit of zip, initiative with ball in hand and ability to navigate traffic. huge difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back