Rookie Pick #28 Welcome to Carlton ... Cameron Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Malthouse's Carlton /Collingwood 2.0

Getting+the+band+back+together.jpg

A new exciting era of collaboration for Carlton and Williamstown?

We take Wood off their hands whilst they agree to develop Northern Knights graduates Marcon and Currie for a year. We then rookie the 1992 born pair - a 180cm mid and a 194cm KPP.

Peter German is the new Nathan Bassett - you read it here first, folks.

A new exciting era of collaboration for Carlton and Williamstown?

We take Wood off their hands whilst they agree to develop Northern Knights graduates Marcon and Currie for a year. We then rookie the 1992 born pair - a 180cm mid and a 194cm KPP.

Peter German is the new Nathan Bassett - you read it here first, folks.
Except Peter German is not at Willi anymore. He will be coaching Coburg next season. Andy Collins (of the Hawthorn variety) will be coaching Willi next year.

Interesting reading on another Collingwood board.

People there claiming that Cameron Wood was unlucky - and that he never really turned in a poor performance (aside from his very last AFL game - against Cox & Natanui).

He was never given a solid run and despite performing well, was often dropped for weeks on end whenever Jolly was set to return to the side.

Cam Wood's 2012:

Round 6 vs. Bulldogs: 33 hitouts, 10 possessions
Round 7 vs. Lions: 32 hitouts, 14 possessions, 2 goals

then dropped until

Round 10 vs. Gold Coast: 25 hitouts, 23 possessions, 1 goal

then dropped for six weeks until

Round 17 vs. GWS: 22 hitouts, 11 possessions

then dropped until Round 22, the fateful day when he came up well short against Cox and Natanui. 12 hitouts, 8 disposals

then thanks for coming Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to have him on board. Rationale makes sense - need a ready-made, durable ruckman as insurance for Kreuzer and Warnock. Cam Wood is the man - excellent season at Williamstown and now probably hitting his prime. Warnock, and particularly Kreuzer are not as durable as some and it is likely that Wood could play around half-a-dozen games in the seniors next year even if Warnock and Kreuzer have relatively good seasons form and injury-wise.

I wonder if CFC will make a concerted effort to develop Kreuzer as a more effective part-time forward? By all reports Wood spent time forward this year and kicked a few goals (is a good kick) - Kreuz may be under a little pressure to better define (broaden?) his role in 2014. Can never, ever knock Kreuz's effort level, but I guess having ready-made players in the wings keeps up the pressure. Coincidentally, I expect the Northern Blues to have a very good year next year - no excuses Luke W.

Liked the "Blues Brothers" cartoon in the Hun!

People there claiming that Cameron Wood was unlucky - and that he never really turned in a poor performance (aside from his very last AFL game - against Cox & Natanui).

He was never given a solid run and despite performing well, was often dropped for weeks on end whenever Jolly was set to return to the side.

Put like that...

Maybe this selection has brought both Carlton and I Wood

Looks like your starting to come around to liking wood C4

Looks like your starting to come around to liking wood C4

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about him - and I never really watched him all that closely TBH.

Collingwood fans have commented that he often demonstrated the ability, just not the application, so I would back our team in trying to get the most we possibly can out of him.

His stats don't seem that bad, and I can live with the fact that he only cost us #28 in the rookie draft.

I'd hate for Kreuzer or Warnock (neither of which have the most robust bodies) and to have no solid body/key ruckman back up in place to feed our midfield.

... so yeah, I guess I have come around to the idea of Wood (then again, I thought getting Dylan McLaren was a good idea back in the day lol).

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about him - and I never really watched him all that closely TBH.

Collingwood fans have commented that he often demonstrated the ability, just not the application, so I would back our team in trying to get the most we possibly can out of him.

His stats don't seem that bad, and I can live with the fact that he only cost us #28 in the rookie draft.

I'd hate for Kreuzer or Warnock (neither of which have the most robust bodies) and to have no solid body/key ruckman back up in place to feed our midfield.

... so yeah, I guess I have come around to the idea of Wood (then again, I thought getting Dylan McLaren was a good idea back in the day lol).

Richmond had both Wood & Stephenson last pre season trying out for our Rookie listed Ruck spot which was eventually give to big O, So you would think that he is there or there abouts but just not at the top class but at a Rookie spot #27 These players are just gap fills just incase needed and not really considered to be long term players any longer.

Probably a reasonable backup up to the main Rucks in the event they go down

With the addition of Wood, we now have 17 players on our list who were originally drafted with first round picks :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back