Roast Rope-a-dope

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the commentators get together this week and decide to use the term rope-a-dope at every opportune time in every game? Talk about a buzz word/ phrase for the week!

It is a boxing term, but get the meaning in footy and it has some validity, but I'm sick of hearing it. Oh boy oh boy wow wee, slow down on the rope-a-dope already!

I noticed it too. It sounds terrible. You can just picture them all sitting in the mid-week meeting down at channel 7 and the market research guy goes right fellas we need a new catch phrase! and here it is.... ROPE A DOPE! work it in at every opportunity possible.

For those interested, this is where the term originates from, the great 1974 "Rumble in the jungle", Muhammed Ali v George Foreman (Foreman was the 'dope') ...

... "Rope-a-dope" refers to acting in a way that makes your opponent burn a lot more energy than you do.

Didn't notice that either team today was doing that? :confused:

For those interested, this is where the term originates from, the great 1974 "Rumble in the jungle", Muhammed Ali v George Foreman (Foreman was the 'dope') ...

... "Rope-a-dope" refers to acting in a way that makes your opponent burn a lot more energy than you do.

Didn't notice that either team today was doing that? :confused:

At last an explanation...Thanks...I've wondered for years what it meant...but I seriously doubt any of our esteemed commentators know...

The term rope-a-dope is such a dynamic one.

I'm Catholic. We got Pope on a rope.
Don't think there's scope for rope-a-dope in footy though.
It was stupid phrase coined by mental short people when used in it's day.

Hmmmm is it just me or is the thought of soap religious figures on a rope washing genitals just a bridge too far from good taste

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back