Rumour Ross Lyon to coach Carlton from 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its unlikely but not impossible.

Pav and Sandi are nearing the end...and nothings impossible since we don't know much about Ross Lyons personal life. Maybe he'd rather live in Melbourne? Good friends with people at Carlton? Business opportunities? etc etc. He's already sprung a surprise while still in contract by jumping ship to Freo from Saints in the first place, so there is previous form.

I don't think it would take Carlton 5 years to play finals again with Ross at the helm. Reckon he could do a bit of Hinkley at PA magic and turn us around pretty quickly. Our list isn't that bad, players just look rubbish with the game plan and lack of effort.
Your list is in horrible shape, it would take so much effort for Ross to build Carlton up.

I don't think it would take Carlton 5 years to play finals again with Ross at the helm. Our list isn't that bad

Ross+Lyon+AFL+Rd+14+Geelong+v+Fremantle+O0qZJV42Tccl.jpg

This is a long shot!! Ross Lyon does not rebuild a team. He takes a good list and makes it better. The players after a few years under him then fall apart. Look at St Kilda and what he has done at Freeoo I do not want him at Carlton as we need someone that will bring the club together and nurture young talent. Lyon is a leach that suxs the blood out of a team for his own ego.

Not gonna happen. Ross Lyon is a predatory coach that hasn't the heart or courage to build a list. The way he deserted St Kilda was shameful and while I don't care about Freo one way or the other I simply don't think Ross Lyon is a good development coach. Seems to me he's carrying on the finest Sheedy and Malthouse traditions of taking credit for all the good and deflecting the bad elsewhere. Not a development coach..watch him scuttle away from Freo and leave them for dead when the window closes. He'll be sniffing around the dogs GWS and Gold Coast..watch and see

Yes, Mr Hird is a gift that keeps on giving to EFC in so many ways. You must be spewing dude.

I was one of the few that wanted Bomber but it didn't happen.

As stupid as it sounds I think there is a slim chance of Bomber coaching Essendon if Hird gets the flick.the club would probably have to flick the people he doesn't want to work with but it's a possibility he will look at it like he has unfinished business.

I was one of the few that wanted Bomber but it didn't happen.

As stupid as it sounds I think there is a slim chance of Bomber coaching Essendon if Hird gets the flick next year.
Crikey who knows. I don't think Hird is worth a cracker, no love lost between him and Bomber but they kiss and cuddle in public. Be good and keep swing'in.

Not gonna happen. Ross Lyon is a predatory coach that hasn't the heart or courage to build a list. The way he deserted St Kilda was shameful and while I don't care about Freo one way or the other I simply don't think Ross Lyon is a good development coach. Seems to me he's carrying on the finest Sheedy and Malthouse traditions of taking credit for all the good and deflecting the bad elsewhere. Not a development coach..watch him scuttle away from Freo and leave them for dead when the window closes. He'll be sniffing around the dogs GWS and Gold Coast..watch and see
Brilliantly said. The man is a complete campaigner

Carlton football is the graveyard of formerly successful coaches.

Ross will win the flag with Freo this year, then move to carlton in a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's your view based on no facts.

St Kilda put the last year as a option in Lyon's contract and Lyon's management decide to make it work both ways. In the second last year, Saints offered Lyon's the optional year plus two years at a reduce salary (pay cut). Lyon's want to sign early and Saints wanted to keep it options open and put off talks.

Fremantle came hunting Lyon's and Lyon said no. Saints kept stuffing around and Fremantle offer a five contract and double the salary. What would you do?

Before the saints, Lyons was never offered a head coach position.

Freo has already signed an another two years (no optional years) and brought a family house close to Fremantle Oval.

That doesn't seem a person who is looking to leave in any time soon.

St Kilda put the last year as a option in Lyon's contract and Lyon's management decide to make it work both ways. In the second last year, Saints offered Lyon's the optional year plus two years at a reduce salary (pay cut). Lyon's want to sign early and Saints wanted to keep it options open and put off talks.

Fremantle came hunting Lyon's and Lyon said no. Saints kept stuffing around and Fremantle offer a five contract and double the salary. What would you do?

Freo has already signed an another two years (no optional years) and brought a family house close to Fremantle Oval.

this isnt true at all. lyon was offered a pay rise, no where near freos offer. but still a better deal

lyon was also the one who put off contract talks very early on. remembering that his contract didnt expire that year. he had 2 years to run. the end of his first season at freo was when his contract expired at the saints

funny how you look back on it now and see that dawson announced shortly after ross that he was also putting off talks

the last part i agree with, he doesnt look like moving IMO have to remember his kids are at an age where you wouldnt want to move them again

oh and if you believe saints people in the know. ross verbally committed to the saints the week before he announced his move to freo. apparently the presser was all booked in, papers to be signed etc.

Last edited:

You're entitled to your view WHen your window closes in teh next 18 months watch Ross run

So in other words he's ruled him self out or given a reference for some other coaches
This is the rumour board, you have to do better than that.

Carlton has offered him 2 million a year and he's going to wait till the finals finish before he gives his answer. Carlton will also trade their 1st rounder and Yarran to Freo for them to release Ross.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back