Remove this Banner Ad

flagfor05

Team Captain
Suspended
Sep 22, 2004
Other Teams
Geelong
Give him a break.

What did you expect? To let him keep Fitzroy in the competition? Yeah, I'm sure that would work. Let's keep in a team with only a few thousand members, no one turning up at games, a team that could only afford to train on half a ground with no equipment of their own, and while we're at it, let's keep out Port Power who have thousands of members, heaps of money while they pack out Football Park.

It may have taken you 8 years to realise, but the Roys are gone!

Cheers fellas, have a good one.

• Banned
Let's keep to the topic. You guys continually pay out on Oakley, yet he had no choice. Of course, be sad about not being in the competition, but don't be bitter towards Oakley, what else could he do?

No you have it wrong there.

Fitzroy would have been better off in Merging with North Melbourne to become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos. Keeping Fitzroy in Melbourne and helping North to flourish at the same time. The AFL saw a chance to rid itself of two Melbourne teams in Fitzroy and North Melbourne, as per usual the AFL didn't see the public backlash to forced mergers/relocation that was coming.

So now we have a monster up in Brisbane while North Melbourne are still struggling.

• Banned
Yeah, but it's not like the bears were on fire financially. They were playing good footy at the time (preliminary final in 96). They were struggling alot financially so the AFL did the right thing. Look, the Lions look like their flourishing at the moment so they did the right thing.

To all those supporters of other clubs, ******** off and stop telling us Royboys how and what to feel. You aren't the one's to tell us what should have happened- we all lived the Roys Death. Go organise your own funeral.

flagfor05 said:
Give him a break.

What did you expect? To let him keep Fitzroy in the competition? Yeah, I'm sure that would work. Let's keep in a team with only a few thousand members, no one turning up at games, a team that could only afford to train on half a ground with no equipment of their own, and while we're at it, let's keep out Port Power who have thousands of members, heaps of money while they pack out Football Park.

It may have taken you 8 years to realise, but the Roys are gone!

Cheers fellas, have a good one.

Ah, that sound you don't hear is the sound of no-one here caring what you think.

tess said:
No you have it wrong there.

Fitzroy would have been better off in Merging with North Melbourne to become the North Fitzroy Kangaroos. Keeping Fitzroy in Melbourne and helping North to flourish at the same time. The AFL saw a chance to rid itself of two Melbourne teams in Fitzroy and North Melbourne, as per usual the AFL didn't see the public backlash to forced mergers/relocation that was coming.

So now we have a monster up in Brisbane while North Melbourne are still struggling.

Only 1 person want North Melbourne and Fitzroy to merge and that was the North Melboure Chairman at the time Ron Casey and only for the Money. No One else at North Melbourne want to merge with Fitzroy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

flagfor05 said:
Let's keep to the topic. You guys continually pay out on Oakley, yet he had no choice. Of course, be sad about not being in the competition, but don't be bitter towards Oakley, what else could he do?

Thank You Ross jnr, although I'd think your showing disrespect calling your Sire by his surname.

flagfor05 said:

Oakley had plenty of choice. The AFL could have supported one of Fitzroy's many initatives to make more money and generate more membership. Playing out of Tasmania, playing out of Canberra, instituting a competitive balance fund for the Roys, such as afforded to Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne...the list goes on.

Basically Fitzroy was the scapegoat for Port Adelaide's entry and the commission desire to keep the competition at 16 teams.

Actually I blame Graeme Samuel, more than Ross Oakley...but as a whole the Commission could have been much more supportive than they were.

I could have lived with the Canberra Lions.

My North said:
Only 1 person want North Melbourne and Fitzroy to merge and that was the North Melboure Chairman at the time Ron Casey and only for the Money. No One else at North Melbourne want to merge with Fitzroy

& I for 1 didn't want to merge with North.

With arrogant F***wits like Dawson putting their 2 bob in, it would never have worked. In years to come that arrogance will cost your club BIG time. Nice to see your carrying on the tradition, despite the consequences it will hold.

If Port had to get in then there were a few options:
1. A 17 club AFL, which should become eighteen with the addition of a Darwin Team, thus preventing the Bye. Fitzroy stays as they are.
2. Fitzroy Kangaroos, etc etc. Probably far better than the Brisbane merger, far far better, it would rescue two clubs from financial oblivion and keep both heritages alive. The BLFFC is just a joke.
3. Relocation. Are Sydney still the Bloods? YES. In comes Port and another team, etc etc...

I'm actually happy with the Brisbane merger in hindsight. Wouldn't have been happy with supporting the Kangaroos at this point.

Roylion said:
I could have lived with the Canberra Lions.

Having just moved to the ACT, I'd be very happy right now with the Canberra Lions. Think I'll just have to become a goal umpire up here instead.

Its a shame they don't apply the same fiscal rules nowadays.The CBF is keeping the likes of Doggies and Roos in the competition,when Fitzroy were not given those same monetry deals.Thats whats wrong.

They get1.5million per year,and are still losing money hand over fist.If Fitzroy had of had the same deal they would still be alive.

iameviljez said:
If Port had to get in then there were a few options:
1. A 17 club AFL, which should become eighteen with the addition of a Darwin Team, thus preventing the Bye. Fitzroy stays as they are.

A Darwin team is still a long way off and in 1996 was virtually impossible.

iameviljez said:
2. Fitzroy Kangaroos, etc etc. Probably far better than the Brisbane merger, far far better, it would rescue two clubs from financial oblivion and keep both heritages alive. The BLFFC is just a joke.

Rubbish. With North the Fitzroy identity would have have been severely marginalised and there were strong indications in 1996 from a number of North identities that that was the plan. In other words North were going to take the money and the players, but still essentially continue on with the North Melbourne club, with Fitzroy merely becoming an addendum. At least the Fitzroy identity and heritage is somewhat preserved in the Brisbane Lions in a number of ways. For example, the Lions are set to wear the old Fitzroy jumper for premiership matches twice in 2005, in a plan that has been approved by the AFL. If you don't believe me then it's clear you don't know much about the Brisbane Lions.

iameviljez said:
3. Relocation. Are Sydney still the Bloods? YES. In comes Port and another team, etc etc...

Unfortunately Fitzroy's attempts to play home games in Tasmania and Canberra with a view to partial or total relocation in the medium to long term were not supported by the AFL. Fitzroy were planning to relocate to Brisbane to become the Brisbane Lions in 1986, a move that was knocked on the head by Fitzroy president at the time Leon Weigard, a decision that in hindsight, Weigard now regrets.

I'll bite.

I hate Ross Oakley because he was so easily convinced by that corporate coniver, Graeme Samuel, that money meant more to football than its heritage and history. Oh, and the people. They forgot the fans.

I can understand why they looked to merge Fitzroy, but the position they put the club in (find a "partner" or we'll wind you down immediately) was unfair to both Fitzroy, its fans and the rest of the competition.

Fast forward to the new millennium, and struggling clubs (albeit not in as deep a hole as Fitzroy was) are being kept alive by the AFL, who are pro-actively trying to retain the 16 clubs and 10 in Victoria. I could understand why Fitzroy fans would still feel bitter.

On a more personal level, Ross Oakley also tried to merge Hawthorn, saying we could never become financially viable. $4 million in the bank and eight straight profits later, Hawthorn is one of the best performing Victorian clubs off the field.

Up yours, Ross.

The Hitman

Roylion said:
Fitzroy were planning to relocate to Brisbane to become the Brisbane Lions in 1986, a move that was knocked on the head by Fitzroy president at the time Leon Weigard, a decision that in hindsight, Weigard now regrets.

Actually thats one bit not a lot of non-Roys were aware of. I understand the players voted that it was a good idea to go to Brisbane at the end of 1986 and keep the core group together. Keeping in mind we made the prelim final in 86.

adey115 said:
Actually thats one bit not a lot of non-Roys were aware of. I understand the players voted that it was a good idea to go to Brisbane at the end of 1986 and keep the core group together. Keeping in mind we made the prelim final in 86.
Yes, that is what should have happened. The relocated club would have maintained Fitzroys traditions and history uninterrupted, the playing group intact and who knows there might have been a flag much earlier.

There is no doubt that had Fitzroy been in existence today, the club would have been in a much better position to survive with the very different approach that the AFL now takes. The reality is that the AFL wanted us out in 1996 and nothing would have stopped them then.

I would have been very happy with a North merger, because it would have ensured the survival of both clubs in some sort of from, in my opinion. The thing that remains inherently unfair to all Fitzroy supporters who have stuck with the Lions is that they continue to see so few games, with only 6 this year in Melbourne.

I am not sure whether that includes the game in Geelong. If it does then that makes it even more unfair as to go to watch a game at Geelong and reserve a seat, now costs nearly as much as a years membership at any other club.

What sort of a disgrace is that?

As for Flagfor05, I take it that he is a Geelong supporter. What an absolute bunch of losers they are down there at Meeow land. Last flag in 1963 and that year the mighty Roys actually beat them! Stop having completely unwarranted shots at the Fitzroy Football Club and go off and watch the videos of the 1989, 1992, 1994 and 1995 Grand Finals, not to mention 1967. Oh and while you're at it have a look at the 1989 Reserves GF as well and see Doc Wheildon and the boys in action against the pathetic pussies.

Nothing to do with Ross Oakley, but I think Guru Bob said it best:

"Some people are destined never to experience contentment, satisfaction, and fulfilment: for these people God has created the Geelong Football Club."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back