Ross Oakley

Remove this Banner Ad

Horace said:
.... and watch the videos of the 1989, 1992, 1994 and 1995 Grand Finals, not to mention 1967. Oh and while you're at it have a look at the 1989 Reserves GF as well and see Doc Wheildon and the boys in action against the pathetic pussies.

Easy steamer, my late brother in law played in 67 loss and my cousin played for Geelong in the 89 ressies granny. By the way, my cousin pole-axed Johnny Ironmonger in the opening 5 minutes of that game so I treat him very nicely.

Tim the Toolman said:
Easy steamer, my late brother in law played in 67 loss and my cousin played for Geelong in the 89 ressies granny. By the way, my cousin pole-axed Johnny Ironmonger in the opening 5 minutes of that game so I treat him very nicely.
Sorry Tim the Toolman, apologies to your family members.

Actually I have quite a soft spot for the Cats as a number of my family support the club.

I do not however have a soft spot for idiots like flagfor05 who come on our board and make totally unwarranted statements designed to stir us up. I would not do this on any other board and expect the same treatment when supporters of other clubs come on to this board. If they can't behave then they deserve what they get.

Yeah fair enough. It has been embarrassing to go down to sleepy hollow lately and see the supporters though.

My late brother-in-law actually barracked for Hawthorn when he retired from VFL and thrived in stirring up Geelong with his anti-Ablett letters to the Herald Sun and Geelong papers. He was a ripper stirrer and would've had fun with these sites if he was alive today. ;)

The Hitman said:
I'll bite.

I hate Ross Oakley because he was so easily convinced by that corporate coniver, Graeme Samuel, that money meant more to football than its heritage and history. Oh, and the people. They forgot the fans.

I can understand why they looked to merge Fitzroy, but the position they put the club in (find a "partner" or we'll wind you down immediately) was unfair to both Fitzroy, its fans and the rest of the competition.

Fast forward to the new millennium, and struggling clubs (albeit not in as deep a hole as Fitzroy was) are being kept alive by the AFL, who are pro-actively trying to retain the 16 clubs and 10 in Victoria. I could understand why Fitzroy fans would still feel bitter.

On a more personal level, Ross Oakley also tried to merge Hawthorn, saying we could never become financially viable. $4 million in the bank and eight straight profits later, Hawthorn is one of the best performing Victorian clubs off the field.

Up yours, Ross.

The Hitman
But we know who you are Hitman,what have the rest of the Hawks board to say about this? or is it a personal opinion?.

Now now, there's no room for a Hawks v Bombers grudge match on the Lions site! We've got our on toils with the Magpies to skite about here! ;)

The Hitman said:
I'll bite.

I hate Ross Oakley because he was so easily convinced by that corporate coniver, Graeme Samuel, that money meant more to football than its heritage and history. Oh, and the people. They forgot the fans.

I can understand why they looked to merge Fitzroy, but the position they put the club in (find a "partner" or we'll wind you down immediately) was unfair to both Fitzroy, its fans and the rest of the competition.

Fast forward to the new millennium, and struggling clubs (albeit not in as deep a hole as Fitzroy was) are being kept alive by the AFL, who are pro-actively trying to retain the 16 clubs and 10 in Victoria. I could understand why Fitzroy fans would still feel bitter.

On a more personal level, Ross Oakley also tried to merge Hawthorn, saying we could never become financially viable. $4 million in the bank and eight straight profits later, Hawthorn is one of the best performing Victorian clubs off the field.

Up yours, Ross.

The Hitman
And to think at one stage he was a Hawthorn supporter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkk said:
Both :)

No but seriously Ross Oakley was a Hawthorn supporter at one stage.

In fact he was on the board of Hawthorn at one stage.
Didnt Oakley play for the aints?.

leonmagic said:
ha ha yeah that was a ********er.

actually, come to think of it - its actually not that funny at all. its the sort of gag that computer nerds who have never put on a pair of footy boots in their life would find humourous. judging by some of the things you have been saying on here lately leonmagic, along with how many posts you have against your name, I'd say you fit into this category.

jmain14 said:

actually, come to think of it - its actually not that funny at all. its the sort of gag that computer nerds who have never put on a pair of footy boots in their life would find humourous. judging by some of the things you have been saying on here lately leonmagic, along with how many posts you have against your name, I'd say you fit into this category.
But it is Funny.And why havent the Cats seen a cup in 40 years?-Because they've been playing football in the dark with blind mice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers 2003 said:
But it is Funny.And why havent the Cats seen a cup in 40 years?-Because they've been playing football in the dark with blind mice.
ha ha ha another ********er. geez this thread has been good for the gags so far.

so bombers 2003, what role did you play in the bombers flags in 2000 and 1993?? were you a part of that side?? did you end up receiving a premiership medallion for your efforts?? oh nah that's right - you would of done jack **********. you would of hoped and barracked them to a premiership but in terms of contribution towards winning those flags you did stuff all, like us geelong supporters who can't do anything more than hope they have premiership success. you are a tool mate.

jmain14 said:

I've got a category you can fit into. Interested?

flagfor05 said:
Give him a break.

What did you expect? To let him keep Fitzroy in the competition? Yeah, I'm sure that would work. Let's keep in a team with only a few thousand members, no one turning up at games, a team that could only afford to train on half a ground with no equipment of their own, and while we're at it, let's keep out Port Power who have thousands of members, heaps of money while they pack out Football Park.

It may have taken you 8 years to realise, but the Roys are gone!

Cheers fellas, have a good one.

And your team last won the flag when?? Where you even alive
So many grand finals in the last 15 years, for no result.
Your team should be called The CATastrophes ( Like the Colliwobbles)

Your team, is the along with Richmond the most frustrating side of the last 20 years. And one of the sides, who has a poor record in recent years.
Your team is only around cause of the one town thing. You absolute gimp.

flagfor05 said:
Let's keep to the topic. You guys continually pay out on Oakley, yet he had no choice. Of course, be sad about not being in the competition, but don't be bitter towards Oakley, what else could he do?

Put the Geelong out of their misery and get rid of them

Wild Kangaroo said:
Put the Geelong out of their misery and get rid of them
Of course, that will never happen (regardless of their improved form). Because the Victorian community clings to the historical past of the competition with ever increasing vigilance, having seen what happened to Fitzroy. The truth is that there are too many sides in the competition - any sporting competition in which teams play each other an unequal amount of times is bereft of any credibility. No other sporting competition in the world has this ridiculous situation. If two teams disappeared via natural attrition along with the pre-season competition, we could have a 26 round competition of true integrity.

Ross Oakley has released his memoirs detailing his time as CEO of the AFL. Apparently there is a lengthy discussion of the Fitzroy-Footscray proposed merger in 1989.

And what were his reasons of the proposed Fitzroy-Footscray merger, and the Brisbane takeover of Fitzroy, what did he use as his defence..??? The man is a criminal.

I listened to him on Jon Faine's program earlier this morning. Interesting to hear his perspectives, but I'm sure that doesn't provide a whole lot of comfort for Fitzroy fans.

Fairly ordinary interview I thought.

Oakley lying through his teeth about the Fitzroy merger.

He claimed that the AFL didn't have a great deal to with Fitzroy's "demise" and blamed Nauru. BS.

He also claimed that the AFL couldn't do anything to help Fitzroy because an administrator had been appointed and that their hands were tied. More BS.

Claimed that the AFL had no money to help Fitzroy and couldn't give money out unless they had support of the clubs. Yet they had enough money to shell out for two mergers totalling $12 million.

Admitted that the AFL pushed for a merger with the Bears. Nothing new there. Thanks for the five games in Melbourne per year and almost no FTA TV Ross.

The Jon Faine interview made a big deal of how Ross, Gordon and Chatfield are now all great friends. Too bad Jon Faine didn't ask him about his relationship with the Fitzroy people these days.

I haven't read the book as yet, but I'll bet that none of the AFLs underhanded dealings in manipulating Fitzroy's removal from the AFL will be mentioned. It'll be a whitewash of the AFL's role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back