Discussion Round 1, 2015 - Footy Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Note the terminology "it is expected", so these games aren't necessarily set in stone.

What that also makes me wonder is that do teams plan out their guernseys match-ups for every single game before the season starts!?

What that also makes me wonder is that do teams plan out their guernseys match-ups for every single game before the season starts!?

This would be interesting to know, and if the AFL or clubs discretely publish this somewhere for us to find.

Note the terminology "it is expected", so these games aren't necessarily set in stone.

Isn't that what we do here?

Isn't it the home team's choice of what guernseys are worn. Or is that too logical for the AFL ;)

So who says to the away club "you're clashing, choose a different kit" and when do they say it?
I believe it is the AFL, they told Fremantle in the Grand Final against Hawthorn that they had to wear white shorts that day. Fremantle, in turn decided to wear their white jumper because it looked better with white shorts.

A credible-ish source from Waverley told Dad that they're given a preliminary list of matchday uniforms/umpire colours at the start of the season, with confirmation/notification of any alterations at least 5 days prior to bounce down.

Not sure about club requests ala Freo (2013 GF) and Port (2014 EF)

I believe it is the AFL, they told Fremantle in the Grand Final against Hawthorn that they had to wear white shorts that day. Fremantle, in turn decided to wear their white jumper because it looked better with white shorts.
That would seem to be in line with the 2014 final with Port and Richmond where the AFL were allegedly the ones to tell Port to change.
A credible-ish source from Waverley told Dad that they're given a preliminary list of matchday uniforms/umpire colours at the start of the season, with confirmation/notification of any alterations at least 5 days prior to bounce down.
This would be my guess. Or that they simply plan to wear the clash for certain games, with games being added or removed as needed (i.e. for one-off guernseys, new clashes that arise or the like)

Jay+Kennedy+Harris+AFL+Rd+5+Melbourne+v+Gold+ou3TcZsR1v7l.jpg

GC wore their home strip in last year's corresponding fixture.

I tipped them to be in white this week, only as a gamble in search of an early advantage (this round is straight forward)

The teams don't clash, no, but in 2015 with visual aesthetics a necessity, this SHOULD be the matchup:
Melbourne_Home_zpscfb9005f.png
Gold_Clash_zps6a065da2.png

While the Suns wore their home strip last year, they wore the white strip away to Melbourne in 2013. So who knows really.

286884.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may be due to venue or time of day? Really not sure here.

Going back further...

Melbourne have hosted Gold Coast each year since they came in. In 2011 and 2012, both Sunday day games, the Suns wore the red "wave" away jumper (with red shorts). In 2013, a Sunday twilight match, they wore white. In 2014, a Sunday mid-arvo game (which ends in twilight/night), they went back to the red/home strip.

Just another example of the AFL not being able to make up its mind, really.

Going back further...

Melbourne have hosted Gold Coast each year since they came in. In 2011 and 2012, both Sunday day games, the Suns wore the red "wave" away jumper (with red shorts). In 2013, a Sunday twilight match, they wore white. In 2014, a Sunday mid-arvo game (which ends in twilight/night), they went back to the red/home strip.

It could also be the club's choice, and wanting to wear different kits for whatever reason. Maybe the kit manager flips a coin or something

Going back further...

Hmm, would have thought the navy v red match would have looked better during a night/twilight game, but there have gone with the opposite.

It could also be the club's choice, and wanting to wear different kits for whatever reason. Maybe the kit manager flips a coin or something

2013 was the first year of their "new" white jumper, so that could be right too. I wonder how often that happens, where the AFL tells a club they can wear their home strip, but they actually prefer to wear their away. I'm tipping Hawthorn is one who does it.

If I remember correctly, Brisbane ans Sydney sometimes wear their clash jumpers against each other as a way to advertise that jumper. Brisbane also did it against another club (can't remember which) last season.
Footscray, twas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back