List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

I just think flexibility is important. Almost everyone in the side not only has to be capable of playing at least a couple of roles but understands those alternate roles as well as they understand their primary/preferred role. This is particularly true of the midfielders who aren't going to get to play their preferred role all of the time.

One significant advantage of our depth in the midfield is that if someone is struggling in one role, then we can shift things around to find the best match up, avoid a tag, shut down an opponent etc. The best midfields do it and we've now got the same opportunity. There is also nothing wrong with playing midfield capable players in non-midfield roles. Whether Rich to half back is the right move remains to be seen - but just having that luxury will be a huge improvement for us.

Would love Rich to play as that role for us next season. Rocky played a similar role for us this season but was a bit more inside than Hodge.

The only issue with rich playing that role is a comparative lack of marking power. Hes not a bad mark but lacks a bit of height to chop off those intercept marks like hodge does. Has the kicking side sorted though

The only issue with rich playing that role is a comparative lack of marking power. Hes not a bad mark but lacks a bit of height to chop off those intercept marks like hodge does. Has the kicking side sorted though
Also not sure he reads the play as intuitively. He will likely need to grow into the role, if that's the way Leppa goes.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rich doesn't have the speed, inside game or fitness to break tags so the only way for him to avoid a tag is to go to half back. Hopefully he won't be getting tagged as much next season.

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rich doesn't have the speed, inside game or fitness to break tags so the only way for him to avoid a tag is to go to half back. Hopefully he won't be getting tagged as much next season.

Rich improved his inside game out of sight the back end of 2012 and his fitness would now be at a level where a centre square role is likely in 2016, after a consolidation year in 2015 after his ACL.

Barring a calamitous injury run, I'd expect Rich to average 20p and a goal next year as our premium mids are so very different from one another and you wouldn't send out a tag solely to stop Rich for a whole game.

D. Beams
Rockliff
Zorko
Hanley
Redden
Rich
Christensen

with Mayes, Robinson, Aish, Taylor and C. Beams in support.

B: Adcock Maguire/Merrett Gardiner
HB: McStay Clarke Rich
C: Hanley Rockliff Aish
HF: Zorko Close Mayes
F: Green Staker Christensen
R: Leuenberger DBeams Redden
IC: Martin Paparone Taylor CBeams

I really want to fit guys like Bewick, Lester, Harwood, Cutler, Robertson and Robinson into the side but I don't know who to take out. A nice problem for us to have, building really good depth.

Subiaco_Falcons

Senior List
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
really like the look of the new Lions side so I thought I'd give the best 22 a go,
here's mine:
B: Gardiner Merrett/Maguire Golby

HB: Adcock Clarke Aish/Rich

C: Hanley D.Beams Rich/Aish

HF: Zorko Paparone/Close/Freeman
Christensen

F: Green Staker Taylor

R: Leuenberger Rockliff Redden

INT: Mayes C.Beams S.Martin

SUB: Bewick

Don't really know much about your key forwards,
I just remember Staker winning you the game against us a couple of years back :(
But having an experienced head like him in the forward line will help the younger guys mature and get better,
I think Paparone would be my starting CHF, most games I've seen he has run in the midfield so obviously has a decent tank & can work up and down the ground at CHF, while Close/Freeman/McStay and these guys develop.

With Rich coming back from an ACL, I was hesistant to start him straight in the middle, so with him and Aish rotating through half back, it gives you two excellenct ball users & two who just ooze class, throw Hanley into that mix too.

your midfield obviously has a plethora of talent and stars, led by T-Rock, Beamer and Redden with Robinson, Claye, Harwood & Robertson, your grunt brigade already looks scary.
as well as the class & speed of Zorko, Taylor, Christensen and Mayes, the talent pool of your midfield rotation runs very, very deep.

Junction Lion

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hello All. My first post. Long time Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions supporter (since 1970) and member of both over several years.

Live Sydney and am a Giants foundation member also.

Here I s my crack at a Round 1 2015 best 22

C. Beams. Maguire Gardner
Rich Clarke Hanley
Redden Rockliff Aish
Christensen. Close Zorko
Martin. Merrett. Green

Leuenberger
D. Beams
Taylor

Adcock
Mayes
Robinson
McStay (sub)

I know some will be unhappy with Adcock starting on the pine however I feel we can make Claye in to an ideal small back. I really like the setup we can get from Claye, Rich and Hanley delivering from the back line with Claye to take kick ins.

I also wanted both Goose and Sauce in the side and felt the best way to do it was with Merrett up forward.

The bench will work well with Jed able to play back or middle, Mayes Middle or forward as with M Robbo. McStay to come on either as a back of forward.
Obviously quite a few unlucky ones however I am enjoying trying to make up the best 22 now compared to other years.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hello All. My first post. Long time Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions supporter (since 1970) and member of both over several years.

Live Sydney and am a Giants foundation member also.

Here I s my crack at a Round 1 2015 best 22

C. Beams. Maguire Gardner
Rich Clarke Hanley
Redden Rockliff Aish
Christensen. Close Zorko
Martin. Merrett. Green

Leuenberger
D. Beams
Taylor

Adcock
Mayes
Robinson
McStay (sub)

I know some will be unhappy with Adcock starting on the pine however I feel we can make Claye in to an ideal small back. I really like the setup we can get from Claye, Rich and Hanley delivering from the back line with Claye to take kick ins.

I also wanted both Goose and Sauce in the side and felt the best way to do it was with Merrett up forward.

The bench will work well with Jed able to play back or middle, Mayes Middle or forward as with M Robbo. McStay to come on either as a back of forward.
Obviously quite a few unlucky ones however I am enjoying trying to make up the best 22 now compared to other years.
Its not that easy anymore to select a best 22.

Agree with alot of your team except adcock on the bench and merrett up forward.

Adcock would take one of richs or hanleys spot IMO with one of rich or beams on the bench. Merret could fit down back with goose depends who we play.

But again very good effort and this is only my opinion and you have solid reasons aswell. I could be wrong and maybe thats why I'm not head coach.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its not that easy anymore to select a best 22.

Agree with alot of your team except adcock on the bench and merrett up forward.

Adcock would take one of richs or hanleys spot IMO with one of rich or beams on the bench. Merret could fit down back with goose depends who we play.

But again very good effort and this is only my opinion and you have solid reasons aswell. I could be wrong and maybe thats why I'm not head coach.
I don't think the Lions have a "best 22".
We have maybe a dozen 'walk up starts' and from there, a heap of inter-changeables that either wouldn't be missed given the right replacement or will/can be in and out on form any given week. In other words, we have a heap of players of similar ability or level of development, but certainly not an identifiable 22 man squad.

Junction Lion

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have maybe a dozen 'walk up starts' and from there, a heap of inter-changeables that either wouldn't be missed given the right replacement or will/can be in and out on form any given week. In other words, we have a heap of players of similar ability or level of development, but certainly not an identifiable 22 man squad.
Agree Skoob. Bad terminology by me. We have many options with our list at the moment and there will several games where we select a " horses for courses" lineup. We have a very flexible and interchangeable group now. Best 22 one week will not necessarily be best 22 the next.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree.

Is it good now though to have 12 walk up starts and another 15 as you interchangables?

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree Skoob. Bad terminology by me. We have many options with our list at the moment and there will several games where we select a " horses for courses" lineup. We have a very flexible and interchangeable group now. Best 22 one week will not necessarily be best 22 the next.
Sorry mate, wasn't directed at you specifically, about 50 people have named a best 22 before you.;)
Welcome aboard, by the way.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree.

Is it good now though to have 12 walk up starts and another 15 as you interchangables?
Interesting question. Not bad a 'bad' situation, depending on the quality/standard of both. I think it could be a great situation in the coming years as both lots improve. Right now it means we can field an 'okay' team each week (pending injuries to the 'walk ups'). The more numbers you have in the 'walk up' category, the better you can mitigate injury, so a best 18 or 20 would be better. We have a swag of very young/inexperienced players, albeit some very talented ones, and at some point you'd hope that ratio changes to some more definites.

mick1013

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FB Clarke Merrett Gardiner
HB Hanley Maguire Rich
C Aish Rockliff Christensen
HF Mayes Freeman Zorko
FF Green Staker McStay
FOL Leuenberger Redden D. Beams
INT Robinson Taylor Martin
SUB C. Beams

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would anyone think that Freeman or Close should be in the starting forward line when you can go with the experienced duo of Brent Staker and Luke McGuanne.

There is no need to push young blokes into the side when you have 100+ gamers rearing to go.

This year was an exception because McGuanne was struggling with injury and Staker was out for the season. With both of them fully fit they will have to play.

With the good quality midfield at hand Mcguanne and Staker should get 30 goals each for the year with Green, Zorko, Taylor, Mayes, Christensen and Robinson rotating through the forward line having even contributions to score 10 a game between the 6.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would anyone think that Freeman or Close should be in the starting forward line when you can go with the experienced duo of Brent Staker and Luke McGuanne.

There is no need to push young blokes into the side when you have 100+ gamers rearing to go.

This year was an exception because McGuanne was struggling with injury and Staker was out for the season. With both of them fully fit they will have to play.

With the good quality midfield at hand Mcguanne and Staker should get 30 goals each for the year with Green, Zorko, Taylor, Mayes, Christensen and Robinson rotating through the forward line having even contributions to score 10 a game between the 6.
Because we need to put games into at least one of them. I have heard that forwards take around 50 games to mature, so we need to pump games into them just like we are pumping games into our young midfielders. and lets be honest, Staker and McGuane aren't good forward and certainly not numuber 1 forwards and they will probably be injured or retiring soonish.
In peak form, l would have Close and Freeman ahead of Staker and McGuane

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our full strength team is stronger than Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, St.Kilda, Bulldogs and West Coast.
Should sneak into the 8 with our midfield Rockliff, D.Beams, Rich, Hanley, Redden, Zorko, Christensen and Robinson not to mention rising stars Aish, Mayes and Taylor.

Sure our key forwards and key backs are not as great as the best in the competition but Merrett and Maguire are very reliable and experienced, and Mcguanne and Staker will be solid marking targets from the quality delivery from our star midfield.

Look back to sydney's 2012 team. Richards not that much better than maguire. Merrett is equal with Grundy. Sam Reid was young and still learning. And Adam Goodes no doubt is a spectacular player but staker would be as good marking the ball as him. Goodes is just a better ball user and runner with the footy.
So what i am trying to say is that even though you dont have first class key position players, you can still go deep in september.
Ratings:
1 being Israel Folau and 10 being Brian Lake.
Sydney in 2012:
Richards: 8
Grundy: 7
Reid: 3
Goodes: 8

Brisbane now:
Maguire: 6
Merrett: 7
Mcguanne injury free: 6
Staker injury free: 7

So lions can make the 8 IMO.

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our full strength team is stronger than Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, St.Kilda, Bulldogs and West Coast.
Should sneak into the 8 with our midfield Rockliff, D.Beams, Rich, Hanley, Redden, Zorko, Christensen and Robinson not to mention rising stars Aish, Mayes and Taylor.

Sure our key forwards and key backs are not as great as the best in the competition but Merrett and Maguire are very reliable and experienced, and Mcguanne and Staker will be solid marking targets from the quality delivery from our star midfield.

Look back to sydney's 2012 team. Richards not that much better than maguire. Merrett is equal with Grundy. Sam Reid was young and still learning. And Adam Goodes no doubt is a spectacular player but staker would be as good marking the ball as him. Goodes is just a better ball user and runner with the footy.
So what i am trying to say is that even though you dont have first class key position players, you can still go deep in september.
Ratings:
1 being Israel Folau and 10 being Brian Lake.
Sydney in 2012:
Richards: 8
Grundy: 7
Reid: 3
Goodes: 8

Brisbane now:
Maguire: 6
Merrett: 7
Mcguanne injury free: 6
Staker injury free: 7

So lions can make the 8 IMO.
And Look at the ruckman. Stefan Martin/ Matthew Leuenberger is = to Shane Mumford/Mike Pyke

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because we need to put games into at least one of them. I have heard that forwards take around 50 games to mature, so we need to pump games into them just like we are pumping games into our young midfielders. and lets be honest, Staker and McGuane aren't good forward and certainly not numuber 1 forwards and they will probably be injured or retiring soonish.
In peak form, l would have Close and Freeman ahead of Staker and McGuane
but if staker and mcguanne are in peak form i would have them over Freeman and Close in peak form. For crying out loud, freeman in peak form dropped a sitter, straight through the hands.

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All im saying is that if Freeman and Close are chosen over Staker and Mcguanne we will definately not make the 8. Its all good to think about the future, but we have. 10 debutants last year, our team is young and promising as it is. Keep Freeman and Close in the reserves to develop and have them train throughout the week against Maguire and Merrett. They will still get better doing that. I did not see young guys being chosen over jay shulz. He was struggling for a period of time a few years back but now he kicks three goals a game. Bit of a resemblence between Shulz and Mcguanne if you ask me. Both played back for Richmond, both swap to non-victorian teams in their later years. Mcguanne has done it at Richmond in his last season why cant he kick 25 goals for us. There is no reason why he cant. He is only 27 years old. He could still play another 6 years. There is no point giving up on him yet if we want to make finals.

Our team is promising look at the games we have got behind Rockliff (24), Redden(24), Rich(24), Hanley(25), Zorko(25), Green(23), Mayes(20), Taylor(19), Aish(19), C.Beams(23), Bewick(23) and with the inclusion of Beams(24), Robinson(26) and Christensen(22) this is our future for the next 6 years we dont need to play Robertson, Lester, Cutler and the new draft bunch to quickly build their experience. That will come in its own time when some one gets injured.

Last edited:

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I see what some people are saying that we need to get the games into our young forwards so that when our midfield is at its peak, the young forwards can play decent footy. But the Lions have been focusing on the future for the last decade and look where that's got us. 1 finals series in the middle of a 9 year time span. We have a great midfield now so shove staker and mcguanne into the lineup and roll the dice on 2015 and 2016.

When talking about the quality of our list vs list balance at the moment it is hard for me to see us getting in the top 8, even if explicitly we do have more high quality players than some other teams that very well might be in the running for that 4-8th position. Our depth is all through the midfield and half-forward. We are also heavily reliant on talented, but likely inconsistent youth. There is going to be room in our forward-line for both McGuane AND Staker and we can still fit in a developing tall otherwise. Our mid-hff depth is going to have to learn to diversify in a positional sense to get games and field our strongest team but a lot of them haven't shown that they are ever going to be the answer defensively in the back-pocket or off of half-back and that will still leave us with some players good enough for the senior side playing in the ressies because we don't have the room for them.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
but if staker and mcguanne are in peak form i would have them over Freeman and Close in peak form. For crying out loud, freeman in peak form dropped a sitter, straight through the hands.
So you're saying Freeman's peak form is when he is 19 years old??
I don't think you realise that McGuanne and Staker aren't great forwards. They are roleplayers. I, personally, would have only one of Staker/McGuane and one of Freeman/Close in the team.

You can't just have 2 older forwards in the team that wont contribute a whole lot more than the younger forwards.

GOTHELIONS16

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you're saying Freeman's peak form is when he is 19 years old??
I don't think you realise that McGuanne and Staker aren't great forwards. They are roleplayers. I, personally, would have only one of Staker/McGuane and one of Freeman/Close in the team.

You can't just have 2 older forwards in the team that wont contribute a whole lot more than the younger forwards.
No I am saying that based on what their peak form is now. You cant compare a player with what their future peak form may or may not be you can only base someones peak form on what has already happened.

Back