BRISBANE LIONS

B: Darcy Gardiner, Daniel Merrett, Ryan Harwood

HB: Jed Adcock, Justin Clarke, Daniel Rich

C: James Aish, Jack Redden, Pearce Hanley

HF: Allen Christensen, Michael Close, Dayne Zorko

F: Josh Green, Matthew Leuenberger, Lewis Taylor

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff

I/C: Sam Mayes, Mitch Robinson, Daniel McStay, Brent Staker

Not picked: Marco Paparone, Rohan Bewick, Matt Maguire, Mitchell Golby, Claye Beams

Merrett’s return to the backline leaves the Lions a little short in the forward line. Close is the key forward they have the most hope for, with Staker and the resting ruckman — Leuenberger or Martin — likely to fill the other tall spots. Excitement machine Paparone and Bewick were very unlucky not to be selected, as both are very highly rated by the Lions. New recruits Dayne Beams, Christensen and Robinson are walk-up starts, squeezing out the likes of Bewick, Golby and Claye Beams.
Lester not featuring at all is simply perplexing. Put him off the half back flank where he can play as a loose man or third tall and provide some rebound as he did when he started his career and he is Best 22 IMO.

I like Lester, but with a fully fit squad he might just miss out. The 1 thing that is going for him is that he can play as a defender or in the middle. He wouldnt be a bad option coming off the bench.
He can also be handy up forward. We forget because he has not had much exposed form in the forward line, but he can play there.

He can also be handy up forward. We forget because he has not had much exposed form in the forward line, but he can play there.
I remember him playing in the forwardline, when he was up there and there was nothing to suggest that he would be decent. Not really an accurate kick for goal. Not sure who you would leave out for Lester in the forward line.
IMHO, Lester is best suited in the middle getting clearances, however with the people we got last year, l can't see him getting a spot unless form or injury gets our midfield.

I remember him playing in the forwardline, when he was up there and there was nothing to suggest that he would be decent. Not really an accurate kick for goal. Not sure who you would leave out for Lester in the forward line.
IMHO, Lester is best suited in the middle getting clearances, however with the people we got last year, l can't see him getting a spot unless form or injury gets our midfield.

His very first season he was quite good in his pre-season games as a forward and then did some nice things there before he broke his leg in the first couple of games of the regular season.

I dunno if leaving Lester out of the best 22 is that perplexing. I would certainly have him in that depth group and he's one of the guys who'd be in the mix for the last couple of spots for round 1. The addition of someone like Robinson creates competition for a spot.

I like Lester, but with a fully fit squad he might just miss out. The 1 thing that is going for him is that he can play as a defender or in the middle. He wouldnt be a bad option coming off the bench.
He reminds me of Hadley, size wise, but I reckon there is a place for him. What is he 190cm or something...?

He reminds me of Hadley, size wise, but I reckon there is a place for him. What is he 190cm or something...?
Good comparison, I reckon.

Without checking, I think Lester is 191. I feel like their onball games are quite similar, but Ryan's probably a bit better overhead than Hadley. For a tallish guy I can't remember Richard spoiling or marking overhead often.

The problem with Lester is his best position is as a mid and we are currently stacked in that department. True, he started as a forward and has played some solid games in the back line (Great game against Adelaide a couple of years ago when he was forced to play on Josh Jenkins and despite Jenkins bagging a couple, Lester was one of our best.) but Lester seems to lack polish and leg speed and if a spot for a big-bodied mid opened up I would personally have Nick Robbo ahead (Believe he has a higher ceiling and seems to be one of the most impressive this pre-season).

The problem with Lester is his best position is as a mid and we are currently stacked in that department. True, he started as a forward and has played some solid games in the back line (Great game against Adelaide a couple of years ago when he was forced to play on Josh Jenkins and despite Jenkins bagging a couple, Lester was one of our best.) but Lester seems to lack polish and leg speed and if a spot for a big-bodied mid opened up I would personally have Nick Robbo ahead (Believe he has a higher ceiling and seems to be one of the most impressive this pre-season).
Down the line we could have the same problem with Robbo. He will find it difficult to break into the side down the track so he will need to add strings to his bow and become a more versatile player to break into the 22. He can play half back and half forward so that is a good starting point. Although he does have a high ceiling so who knows, if he works hard enough he break into the best 22.

Good problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear some of the recollections of the Jenkins-
Lester matchup of a few years ago. At the time, I thought he was not disgraced despite it being an unsuitable match up for him. He was still beaten up though (think Jenkins took around a dozen marks). From memory, there were also a lot of people who thought he was belted and should never be asked to play tall defender again.

If he plays 3rd tall defender, he probably won't be expected to play on someone of Jenkins' size again (particularly if Merrett and Clarke both play too). But I dunno if we have a strong body of evidence just yet that he will be a success in a taller defensive role. I think his most obvious attribute is his ability to win tight contests at ground level. That would lend itself to a true medium defender role but does he have the mobility to play on agile, quick forwards and does he have the skill to provide rebound?

I personally think that his best role would be half forward changing on ball. But that's a tough gig to get at our club.

The times I've been down to training, Lester has been training with the defenders. Maybe some midfield as well, I can't really remember. But plenty of time with the defenders and no time up forward.

Just because I can't stand it when any best 22 has Martin or Leuenberger anywhere near the forward 50, my best 22 v2.0:

B: Justin Clarke, Daniel Merrett, Ryan Harwood

HB: Jed Adcock, Darcy Gardiner, Daniel Rich

C: James Aish, Jack Redden, Pearce Hanley

HF: Allen Christensen, Michael Close, Dayne Zorko

F: Josh Green, Brent Staker, Lewis Taylor

FOLL: Matthew Leuenberger, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff

I/C: Stephan Martin, Daniel McStay, Rohan Bewick, Sam Mayes

EMERG: Mitch Robinson, Zac O'Brien, Nick Robertson

Martin/Leuey: They can't be anywhere near the forward 50 (other than floating down with the play). Both are horrible forwards and far too valuable further up the ground. Round 23 should be our template. Stef Martin still managed to sneak forward and kick 1.1, which is more than he averaged when playing as a forward anyway, plus he picked up a lazy 30 odd possessions.

Harwood: Cops a lot because of his poor disposal at times (and rightly so), but he's just too good overhead (both intercept marking and spoiling) to leave out.

Close/Staker/Freeman: I'm not convinced Close is going to be a good player, but he a very good trainer, so I think he'll get first crack. Staker is very handy, but not contracted beyond this year and will be 31 this year, by years end I think we'll see Freeman take one of their spots.

McStay: Named on the bench, but I'd use him as a 7th defender, freeing up Rich as the loose man and pushing forward as a 3rd tall at times as well.

Bewick: Elite runner, good kick and has now apparently has a right foot as well. Finished 14th in the B&F despite missing 6 games says to me he is rated internally very highly. I couldn't leave him out.

Mayes: I've named him as best 22 in the sub position, because I think he is a better player than the emergencies, but in reality I think ZOB or NRobbo would be better subs.

MRobbo: Not a walk up start IMO, but definitely will be in the mix come round 1.

I wanted to find room for C. Beams, Lester and Cutler, but just ran out of spots. All will play many games this year due to injuries/form and very good to have as depth.

Lester seems a bit slow to be playing in defense. He'd get smoked off the mark a lot of the time I'd imagine.

He has enough speed to keep up, but reads the play well. Patfull was no speedster either but managed. Lester seems to do it in a similar way.

Just because I can't stand it when any best 22 has Martin or Leuenberger anywhere near the forward 50, my best 22 v2.0:
So your solution is to have one of them on the bench at all times...?

So your solution is to have one of them on the bench at all times...?
Solution is round 23 last year.

Martin played on ball, rested in defence, then to the ruck, then to the bench.

Leuey played #1 ruck and rested on the bench.

Worked well.

He has enough speed to keep up, but reads the play well. Patfull was no speedster either but managed. Lester seems to do it in a similar way.

Patfull seemed a fair bit quicker to me. Maybe Lester just looks like he is hauling arse so I think he is slower than he actually is.

B: Gardiner, Merrett, Lester

HB: C.Beams, Clarke, Rich

C: Paparone, Hanley, McStay

HF: Mayes, Close, Zorko

F: Green, Berger, Taylor

FOLL: Martin, D.Beams, Rockliff

I/C: Bundy, Redden, Adcock, Robinson

EMERG: Robinson, O'Brien, Robertson

Big fan of Leppa and his tall defence with flexibility, wings might be a surprise but I prefer a taller wing as well to have the advantage of height in panic rebounding (eg. kicking it long out of defence). Better reach over opponents and both players have genuine Xfactor.

Mozzie squad are all in. Adcock, if he wasn't captain... would struggle for selection at times and I don't have him in my end of year team with Beams a better player imo. Lester over Harwood has a higher ceiling, can play anywhere and can win the ball better than Harwood. Harwood has had more experience so far in that position but IMO Lester would be a better player with the same exposure. Staker misses out for team balance and also because he will take a few games in the ressies to gain match fitness.

3 defenders, 3 forwards and everyone in the midfield can rotate to other positions on the ground. Team has extreme flexibility which I like a lot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back