List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been impressed by his speed and agility over this pre-season. He's smashed some forwards in run-down tackles from behind.
Didn't he run down Joshy Green and go on for a goal? If so, that's damn impressive

Didn't he run down Joshy Green and go on for a goal? If so, that's damn impressive
Think that was the Burp intraclub I didn't see, but in match sims I've seen him run down and effectively tackle Green and Close.

Does Rich have the speed and agility to negate a player down back? I'm not convinced. I think we will see him line up on a wing and drift into defence to break the tag.
I suspect teams will be looking for someone to negate Rich, rather than the other way around. Naming him in defence doesn't necessarily mean he will be required to play a defensive role.

That sounds pretty bad. He's got to work harder if that is the case. Who are the other runners that struggle at the club?

I suspect Bourke would also be suffering from comparisons to Harris Andrews - younger, taller, vying for a similar position and apparently second group in the running.

That can't help Bourkeys position.

I suspect teams will be looking for someone to negate Rich, rather than the other way around. Naming him in defence doesn't necessarily mean he will be required to play a defensive role.
This is true but I would assume he would still want to be able to handle himself defensively if he finds himself matched up on a resting mid or similar. Anyway the previous posts indicate he is a bit quicker than I thought so that's good news.

Pardon the intrusion, but I thought I'd look at putting together a Round 1 team from an outsiders perspective. Forgive me if I'm a little off!

B Adcock - Maguire - Clarke
HB Rich - Merret - Lester
C Aish - Redden - Mayes
HF Zorko - Staker - Christensen
F Martin - Close - Green
R Leuenberger - D. Beams - Rockliff

I: C. Beams, Taylor, Robinson, Bewick

EM: Robertson, Harwood, Golby

Injured from B22 in R1: Hanley

Few points:
- Maybe a little too tall on field in defence, so maybe a C.Beams in his new defensive role over Maguire, as Clarke looks a great prospect and Robertson in to the 22.
- As an outsider, I can appreciate Freeman, Gardiner, McStay and Cutler being a shot for R1 but don't see them as established yet.
- Really like Paparone and would have him right behind or up next to Staker. Long term Paps is in every time.
- Hear Lester is in line for Patfuls's role
- Harwood if fully fit to vie for that HB role again this year

I'm interested in everyone's take on Adcock. He never seems to get talked about when people are referencing your midfield rotations. He started off as a great ball winner before settling into his defensive role a few years ago - especially since getting his body right. I'm not sure whether he's seen a lot of midfield ball in the last few years, but despite all of your recent additions surely he could still be a real weapon as a relief midfielder. He did seem to be less productive last year. Was he played closer to goal or have there been any whispers of a persistent niggle he carried?

I think you guys have added some great obvious midfield talent which should push your original talent further out to the wings and HF/HB. As soon as one or two of Freeman, Paparone, Paine, Close or Leuey/Martin can step up as viable finals-quality key forwards, you guys will really take off.

Good luck this year!

Last edited:
B: Lester Merrett Adcock
HB: CBeams Clarke Gardiner
C: Zorko Redden Rich
HF: Mayes Close Robinson
F Green Staker Martin
R Leuenberger Rockliff DBeams
Interchange: Aish Christensen Bewick
Sub: Taylor
Emergencies: Paparone McStay Robertson

I am fairly confident that the Round 1 team will look something very similar to this particularly the backline. I would personally prefer to have McStay in over Lester in the backline but it appears that Lester will get first crack at Patfull's role. It is a shame that Hanley is out but overall this is a very balanced and talented side.

The big Goose will provide depth for Clarke and Merrett and still play a fair amount of games this year. Freeman, McGuane, and Paine will all place pressure on Staker and Close for a KPF role and act as depth in that area. The likes of Paparone, McStay, Golby, Harwood, Cutler, Robertson and Dawson will be the main depth for our side and all play several games as well covering for injury, suspension and poor form.

With the injury to Hanley I think we are able to fit every player in who deserves a spot. I don't think the emergencies and the other depth players necessarily deserve a spot as much as that best 22 does although arguably Papa or McStay could replace Lester, Gardiner or Close. If Hanley was fit it would have squeezed one of Bewick, Taylor, Robinson or Mayes out.

Overall our best 22 line up is looking quite strong. That midfield is top notch:thumbsu:

So Rich playing back all pre-season is a furphy, lionshine ?
It is hard to understand what tone someone is using over the internet so correct me if I am wrong but your post just came across as fairly negative as if you are offended by the fact that I have not included Rich in the backline after you have reported that he has been training in the backline for the majority of the pre season. If that is the case I apologise. I have read and appreciated your training reports and despite your dislike of me as a poster I hope you can believe that.

On the other hand if your post was more light hearted than I interpreted it to be I will apologise for that serious response and move on to your question.

I think Rich will play the "quarter back" role in the backline this year, however, I think he will more roam through there as opposed to play a direct role in the backline. I think Claye Beams will be the one who plays a more direct role in the backline taking the kick outs and playing on an opponent. I named my backline based on the "probables backline" that Fatcat08 mentioned.

Hopefully that answers your question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and despite your dislike of me as a poster
I've got no problem with you. Not sure where you got that. Perhaps from years ago. Sorry if I gave you that impression. IMO you're an exemplar of an initially over-exuberant poster come good.

On the other hand if your post was more light hearted than I interpreted it to be I will apologise for that serious response and move on to your question.
Was just trying to figure out your thinking. Squeezing Rich down back caused me problems. I'm not sure naming him on the wing but saying he'll play back solves it. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Can't wait for the season to start!

I've got no problem with you. Not sure where you got that. Perhaps from years ago. Sorry if I gave you that impression. IMO you're an exemplar of an initially over-exuberant poster come good.

Was just trying to figure out your thinking. Squeezing Rich down back caused me problems. I'm not sure naming him on the wing but saying he'll play back solves it. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Can't wait for the season to start!
In regards to the bolded, there is more to that then meets the eye but I will take the compliment on behalf of the lionshine account:thumbsu:

As for the second part of your post, I think it could work as someone like Robinson or Christensen pushes up to the midfield from the forward flank resulting in Rich moving back to play as a loose man. As you said though it will be interesting to see how it unfolds and I to can not wait for the season to start so we can all find out! (I haven't been this excited for a season in years).

There's a lot of quality in this dozen senior players:

Rockliff, Hanley, D.Beams, Rich, Redden, Zorko, Christensen, Mayes, Martin, Leuenberger, Green and Robinson (12)

Then, there are our senior role players:

Adcock, Harwood, Merrett, Bewick, Staker, Paparone, CBeams, Lester, Maguire, Clarke, Paine, McGuane, West and Golby (14)

That's 26 players who have all played regular AFL footy at some stage in their careers and have footy ready bodies.

But here is where the improvement will come from; not only in 2015, but potentially for the next decade:

Close, Freeman, Aish, Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, Cutler, Robertson, Dawson, Andrews, Clayton, Watts, McGrath and McGuinness (14)

With only Adcock, Merrett, Staker, McGuane and Maguire to retire over the next 2-3 years, I think we can officially say our list has been transformed :footy:

Of the kids, it's pretty safe to say Aish, Taylor and Gardiner will be regular senior players of quality moving forward; but if the likes of Close, Freeman, McStay, Cutler, Robertson and Dawson can join them in having a positive impact in 2015 - I'd say we should look to play finals this season :thumbsu:

In regards to the bolded, there is more to that then meets the eye but I will take the compliment on behalf of the lionshine account:thumbsu:
Yep, as a (then) mod, that was part of the problem. Whatever the resolution, it is ancient history and I've certainly moved on.

B: Lester Merrett Adcock
HB: CBeams Clarke Gardiner
C: Zorko Redden Rich
HF: Mayes Close Robinson
F Green Staker Martin
R Leuenberger Rockliff DBeams
Interchange: Aish Christensen Bewick
Sub: Taylor
Emergencies: Paparone McStay Robertson

Pretty much agree with this from how the reporting of pre season has been going.

Two comments. I think even with Hanley back Mitch Robinson has the genuine toughness to be a really good foil for the rest of the midfield many of whom are strong tacklers or inside players but just don't have the same mongrel. Also think that claye beams seems to have that terrier like, repeat effort attitude of never being beaten that you need as a defender that makes him the best candidate of our mids to shift back to play as a defender who can run (compared to rich who'd be shifted back to play as a quarterback with hopefully minimal defensive responsibility).

one question I have is how clubs structure up and whether mcstay would get a run on the bench as an additional tall to give the talls a rotation - probably replacing bewick. I know in your 22 Lester can play taller and Mayes and bewick can plug a gap as marking medium forwards but still just wonder... Leppa did seem to consistently play one more tall than I expected last season.

I also think the coaches will pay close attention to how the second tier midfielders compliment the first tier. So which of the likes of Mayes, Taylor, aish, paparone, c beams, Robinson, Robertson, cutler, (Christensen?) complement Triple R, d beams, Zorko and (Hanley when back) the best and also add extra strings to their bows from last year to take a step up with the team.
Eg.
-I think Taylor will need to kick more goals this year to hold onto his spot as competition heats up and genuine mids like d beams and Christensen also spend more time resting forward...
- if none of the mids play effectively as small defenders do the likes of harwood and golby get another crack down back.
-Will any of the rookies (who are mainly mid type players) perform well enough to get ahead of anyone listed over the course of the season.

Pretty much agree with this from how the reporting of pre season has been going.

Two comments. I think even with Hanley back Mitch Robinson has the genuine toughness to be a really good foil for the rest of the midfield many of whom are strong tacklers or inside players but just don't have the same mongrel. Also think that claye beams seems to have that terrier like, repeat effort attitude of never being beaten that you need as a defender that makes him the best candidate of our mids to shift back to play as a defender who can run (compared to rich who'd be shifted back to play as a quarterback with hopefully minimal defensive responsibility).

one question I have is how clubs structure up and whether mcstay would get a run on the bench as an additional tall to give the talls a rotation - probably replacing bewick. I know in your 22 Lester can play taller and Mayes and bewick can plug a gap as marking medium forwards but still just wonder... Leppa did seem to consistently play one more tall than I expected last season.

I also think the coaches will pay close attention to how the second tier midfielders compliment the first tier. So which of the likes of Mayes, Taylor, aish, paparone, c beams, Robinson, Robertson, cutler, (Christensen?) complement Triple R, d beams, Zorko and (Hanley when back) the best and also add extra strings to their bows from last year to take a step up with the team.
Eg.
-I think Taylor will need to kick more goals this year to hold onto his spot as competition heats up and genuine mids like d beams and Christensen also spend more time resting forward...
- if none of the mids play effectively as small defenders do the likes of harwood and golby get another crack down back.
-Will any of the rookies (who are mainly mid type players) perform well enough to get ahead of anyone listed over the course of the season.
Thanks for the reply. That was a quality post!

I wouldn't be against having McStay in the side as an extra option. I would honestly much rather have him developing in the senior side as opposed to having him in the reserves, however, I don't think the coaches will be able to squeeze him in considering they seem intent on giving Lester first crack at Patfull's role and Gardiner played in the probables backline during a praccy match at training in addition to Lester. As for the forward line, it appears that they want 1 young and 1 experienced KPF which means there is only one KPF spot up for grabs for McStay and I think Close will get first shot in that role. (Staker over McGuane as the experienced KPF) As a result of this, the only way McStay could play in the seniors is if he plays as a versatile swingman, however, I don't think he will squeeze out the likes of Bewick, Taylor, Robinson ect. ect.

It would be good to have McStay in the senior side as cover if one of the KPP's cop an injury during the game, however, I think the best 22 side has options if say one of Merrett, Clarke, Staker or Close go down with injury. Gardiner could step up and play as a KPD instead of the 3rd tall role if Merrett or Clarke receive an injury. Likewise at the other end Leuy or Martin could replace Staker or Close up forward or Merrett could even swing up there and Gardiner would replace Merrett as a KPD. Obviously in that scenario the structure would change as one of Leuy or Martin would already be resting up forward with Staker and Close. I know I am rambling on here but my point is that it is not essential to have another tall option in the side as insurance as one of the teams main strengths is versatility.

I don't think you can pick a side with a spare tall "just in case". I think the modern game demands depth in your running brigade - every tall player you select is one less runner in the 22.

The question I have is whether McStay can play as a 15-20 touch flanker who then pinch hits in key position roles. That would be ideal and would probably enable Leppa to play him as a "runner" who had the flexibility to play tall as required.

From what I've seen of McStay's game to date, he's a quality not quantity footballer at this stage of his career. It might be that he has to find a spot at either end as the 2nd/3rd tall or simply doesn't get a game. A shame to have such a talent out of the side but we'd be saying the same if it were Gardiner, Close etc missing out.

I don't think you can pick a side with a spare tall "just in case". I think the modern game demands depth in your running brigade - every tall player you select is one less runner in the 22.
I agree.

The question I have is whether McStay can play as a 15-20 touch flanker who then pinch hits in key position roles. That would be ideal and would probably enable Leppa to play him as a "runner" who had the flexibility to play tall as required.
I may be too influenced by training form, but I'd be concerned about McStay's field kicking if he's anywhere other than in the forward line. Otherwise that'd be a really interesting role for him - the one I have pegged for Paparone. Granted, that's somewhat ironic, given Paps isn't exactly a laser boot, but IMO he isn't as prone to spraying them as McStay to this point. As an aside I've noted through pre-season that Paps has been working on flattening out his kicks.

It might be that he has to find a spot at either end as the 2nd/3rd tall or simply doesn't get a game. A shame to have such a talent out of the side but we'd be saying the same if it were Gardiner, Close etc missing out.
Yeah, contemplating good developing players missing out on senior games isn't a problem we've faced for a while.

The next evolutionary step will be good players missing out on senior games.

Paparone showed last year that he can get to lots of contests. I'd have him ahead of McStay for that reason. And I don't know if I have Paps in my best 22 yet either.

I don't see training form but, right now, I just don't have that big an issue with McStay's disposal. I guess I've not really seen him win the footy enough to judge whether it is a major problem.

I don't see training form but, right now, I just don't have that big an issue with McStay's disposal.
I've pretty much accepted that I'm on my Pat Malone there, and probably come across as a raving loon when I mention it. He just doesn't miss when you put two sticks in front of him.

I guess I've not really seen him win the footy enough to judge whether it is a major problem.
Fair point.

I'd love to fit Paps and McStay in, but I feel like it's probably one or the other just now.

If we're worried about defence, Paps probably covers more ground and more holes. He might save you a couple of goals by being the only guy who can get to a key contest after, say, a turnover or a fast break.

McStay might be more likely to bob up in the forward 50 and pinch a goal or two. Until we have a good sense of how the midfield is going to gel, I'd probably go with the defensive option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back