Banter Round 1 2015 - Sydney VS. Essendon* Pre Season discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
I know this thread is very, very early, and I wouldn't start this if it was against any other team.

However in light of ASADA potentially smashing Essendon and forcing them to use top-ups for the proper season in addition to NAB, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how it impacts us and have a place to record the events.

How do we feel this affects our preparation? For me I'd be unwilling to make any changes for the sake of resting or list management as we did V. GWS because of how badly that turned out - but surely if any players had niggles we would reevaluate.

I'm also more open to rewarding youngsters who performed well in NAB than I would be if we were facing Hawthorn or Port. That said - I wouldn't want to mess around with structures even in Rd 1, so I'm fairly undecided. I know a few responses would be to come out breathing fire to 'make up' for the 2014 GF, but I've always been of the belief that the best teams are the ones who have a gradual build-up and don't burn out. I'm curious as to where others stand.

Also - is anyone else nervous we will lose to a side of half Ess/half VFL? Essentially they're no different to GWS, but with more experience.

I know this thread is very, very early, and I wouldn't start this if it was against any other team.

However in light of ASADA potentially smashing Essendon and forcing them to use top-ups for the proper season in addition to NAB, I thought it would be interesting to discuss how it impacts us and have a place to record the events.

How do we feel this affects our preparation? For me I'd be unwilling to make any changes for the sake of resting or list management as we did V. GWS because of how badly that turned out - but surely if any players had niggles we would reevaluate.

I'm also more open to rewarding youngsters who performed well in NAB than I would be if we were facing Hawthorn or Port. That said - I wouldn't want to mess around with structures even in Rd 1, so I'm fairly undecided. I know a few responses would be to come out breathing fire to 'make up' for the 2014 GF, but I've always been of the belief that the best teams are the ones who have a gradual build-up and don't burn out. I'm curious as to where others stand.

Also - is anyone else nervous we will lose to a side of half Ess/half VFL? Essentially they're no different to GWS, but with more experience.

They are absolutely nothing like GWS, GWS has 27 first rd draft picks and a host of serious young talent, id hardly call top ups like Mitch Brown, Clint Jones etc "talented"

Swans will go in as hard and belt them id suggest. embarrassing if it happened any other way.

After the timid performance in gf, we need to come out and make a statement. Doesn't matter if essendon are full strength half strength, we need 22 fit players to go out and show we are not that team that rolled over on the biggest day of the season.

"THIS IS SYDNEY!!!!!!!"

How do we feel this affects our preparation? For me I'd be unwilling to make any changes for the sake of resting or list management as we did V. GWS because of how badly that turned out
I disagree. We did play our best available team against GWS, they were just pathetic.

Who from our Grand Final 22 was missing?

Jake Lloyd, who was rookie listed and had never played a senior game, and Tippett + Goodes who were legitimately injured. Kieren Jack was the one allegedly rested player, I don't think O'Keefe's 24% Time On Ground was the sole reason for the loss.

Last edited:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. We played our best available team against GWS, they were just pathetic.

Who from our Grand Final 22 was missing?

Jake Lloyd, who was rookie listed and had never played a senior game, and Tippett + Goodes who were legitimately injured. Kieren Jack was the one allegedly rested player, perhaps O'Keefe's 24% Time On Ground was the reason for the loss :rolleyes:

Wow, don't need to be so snarky. I remember the outs as something like Jack, Goodes and someone else. It was a year ago - I completely forgot about their injuries. Calm down.

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way but the eye roll emoticon does have that effect. It is just a very sensitive issue because people always say the Grand Final was a one-off, but 18 of the same players were in the GWS game also. I've edited the post

I think for the first half of the game at the very least, no batter what side Essendon arrive with, we need to destroy them. 60-12 at half time has a nice ring to it. Treat them like we did Geelong. Need a flyer to the season

I don't think our selections would be affected too much by the make-up of the Essendon team - our preparation is our preparation. Late start to the season, round 1 everyone should be ready to go.

As for the 'breathing fire' response, I don't think any of us expects the team to be playing its best football in round 1, but let's be honest, I would be looking for us to win this game well otherwise we're wasting our time.

I don't think our selections would be affected too much by the make-up of the Essendon team - our preparation is our preparation. Late start to the season, round 1 everyone should be ready to go.

As for the 'breathing fire' response, I don't think any of us expects the team to be playing its best football in round 1, but let's be honest, I would be looking for us to win this game well otherwise we're wasting our time.

If we dont win i will put my membership in the microwave

If we dont win i will put my membership in the microwave

I meant in terms of our premiership chances. We aren't Richmond supporters ;)

Anyway, I'd be confident of winning this game even if they were at full strength. We've won 6 of the last 7 against them including 2 at Etihad (only loss was when Adam Goodes missed a kick after the siren), and have been comfortably the better team since Dempsey played on in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definite danger game.

But seriously the replacement players have nothing to lose but you would have to think cohesion would not be their strong suit apart from skill.

I cannot see any reason you would "rest" a player from game 1 of the season anyway. They are professional athletes and should play. Missing round 1 for a sit down is going to mean sfa come September or October or whatever the date is this year.

I see Vonn's point about playing the long game and I tend to agree with it. We should go into this season aiming for a good tilt at the finals. I'd expect us to win round 1 but I'd hate to see us put a 'not quite ready' player in just to avenge the GF by flogging some VFL hacks. That can only be done by playing in and winning another GF. In the same vein we need to put real game time into those who are ready to play but we may also want to take some opportunity to give game time to an up and coming player. Whatever gets us to that last day in September in the best condition possible. I'll leave it to Horse to find the right approach.

Let's just hope none of the top-ups decide to take this opportunity to take out some of our boys.

Let's just hope none of the top-ups decide to take this opportunity to take out some of our boys.
This is an excellent point and a big risk. Are the AFL planning for managing if one of the top-ups who knows their only playing for a week or so, decides to make a name for themselves by taking a swing?

This is an excellent point and a big risk. Are the AFL planning for managing if one of the top-ups who knows their only playing for a week or so, decides to make a name for themselves by taking a swing?

Won't be an issue. They will be suspended from their other comp and cop the fines that accrue if they do it. It is like saying that park footballers run around belting the crap out of each other illegally just because they are not getting paid. Doesn't happen.

Footy players are still people and the vast majority don't run around looking to intentional, recklessly and illegally maim someone just because they have a uniform on.

I expect to win, but what I demand is the team to be physical, relentless, driven, and passionate. They should and have talked the talk since that time we don't mention. This game is the first game we march together to get our respect back and show action.

As said above doubt this to be an issue, it's not a bush league. BUT if anything outside of fair play was to happen, there's some bloods who need to fly that flag and protect and stand up for their brothers. The stuff that hurts me the most is remembering physical moments in that day we don't mention where we didn't respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back