Banter Round 1 2015 - Sydney VS. Essendon* Pre Season discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course if losing Round 1 doesn't reflect our final position then who cares, it's just something I've noticed since the 80's how poor we seem to do in that first game. Traditionally we have finished well but the last couple of years that hasn't really been true. I would hate to win round 1 and then go on a losing streak I guess. Win every game in a season ...yeah that will do

Higher finish = later start to preseason training, less time for surgical repairs\healing so many senior players have been either unavailable or well below peak at the start of the season.

Higher finish = later start to preseason training, less time for surgical repairs\healing so many senior players have been either unavailable or well below peak at the start of the season.

Not sure that excuse can be used for every year since the 80's. Until we dominate sides like the Hawks and Cats have done in years gone by we are really going to have to fight for every opportunity we get. Hawks usually seem switched on from the first pre season game. Would like us to turn up like that but hey the coaches know best and it works just a personal gripe that I'm having a sook about.

R1 Get back on the horse and start pummelling teams again. We will need our mojo for R2 v Port.
I wouldn't mind being 7-0, the buildup to R8 will be enormous.

That will be a tough one. Didn't realise we played them that early. Still getting ahead of ourselves a bit pre season first ha ha

That will be a tough one. Didn't realise we played them that early. Still getting ahead of ourselves a bit pre season first ha ha

6 weeks to Round 1, this thread could break all the records. We still have to discuss the weather, the hairdos, the preseason punch up, a car crash, can Horse turn it around, are the players going to avenge themselves, who will step up, who will fade out, the game plan, the lack of game plan, when will Horse pull out plan B, a car crash, does plan B even exist, how many members are we up to, how great is Sydney, Bloods culture, when I was a boy we played footy like..., if I were coach I would..., can Sir Swans/SwanRule/ please stop changing their name, is the artist formerly known as BombersNo1 a spy or in it for the long haul, Eddie, the academy, Eddie, the academy, Eddie, the academy, Eddie, the academy, Eddie, the academy...oops sorry the record got stuck.

As much as I'd love to see us win comfortably, I'd rather see the team try gameplan 'B' (if such a game plan exists).

Seems the perfect opportunity to try it in a competitive environment and see how things pan out.

As much as I'd love to see us win comfortably, I'd rather see the team try gameplan 'B' (if such a game plan exists).

Seems the perfect opportunity to try it in a competitive environment and see how things pan out.
Isn't that what the NAB Challenge is for?

Fair call. :thumbsu:

I wouldn't mind seeing something different in the NAB Challenge either, but with the likelihood of us fielding our best 22 it would be of little benefit come the season proper.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I'd watch an U13s game right now. I'm so in need of a footy fix I'd probably be yelling "Thump the little bastard" or words to that effect. Mmmm....probably best I stay well away. Mums can be so sensitive.

It's made worse over here as it's still winter and there's little else to do on a rainy day. For me, footy = spring weather (with summer on its way).

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
G'day lads and ladies.

I'll be attending this game as I've just moved to Sydney. Is it better to drive to the ground or catch PT? I'm in Surry Hills.

Cheers

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
And FWIW you should aim to beat us by 100 points.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
G'day lads and ladies.

I'll be attending this game as I've just moved to Sydney. Is it better to drive to the ground or catch PT? I'm in Surry Hills.

Cheers

It's better to catch PT if you're a Swans supporter. As an Essendon supporter it's better to walk. That way you'll be sure to miss the game.

Hey, better still...ditch the dopers and have your gran knit you a red & white beanie hat & scarf. The song is easy to learn, it's played at the end of (almost) every game. Get in quick and you get free COLA (while stocks last).

Alternatively you could support the Hawks. Now, let me see if I remember their membership code...Oh yes, take a pair of clean white y-fronts and go for 4 weeks without using a toilet. Peel off carefully and leave to dry in a warm dry place (i.e., Melbourne in summer). The colours will fade a little with washing, so don't. You can still freshen them up any time by repeating the above. Soon you'll have that unmistakable smell. Why do you think Hawks fans all sit together ?

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
G'day lads and ladies.

Cheers

A free train will be going from Central to the ground so definitely get the train. Parking at ANZ is terribly overpriced.

damien.yang

Draftee
Jan 22, 2014
Paddington, New South Wales
G'day lads and ladies.

Cheers

Walk bro, stop off at Shakespeare's Hotel/Bar Cleveland/Clock Hotel/any pub on the way for a cold one on the way and then follow the other footy fans to the SCG. I'd only walk if you were with kids under 4 or someone requiring assistance walking.

Walk bro, stop off at Shakespeare's Hotel/Bar Cleveland/Clock Hotel/any pub on the way for a cold one on the way and then follow the other footy fans to the SCG. I'd only walk if you were with kids under 4 or someone requiring assistance walking.
Swans v Bombers round 1 is at ANZ Stadium. Dapperd0n would be well lubricated if he stopped off at each en route to Homebush. Doubt he'd make it that far...

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

The clock is my local! Awesome burgers.

Swans v Bombers round 1 is at ANZ Stadium. Dapperd0n would be well lubricated if he stopped off at each en route to Homebush. Doubt he'd make it that far...

I'd still consider that. I might NEED to be drunk for this game.

I'd still consider that. I might NEED to be drunk for this game.
I'd be well impressed if you made it to the game. Might have to leave home a couple of days before though, there's a hell of a lot of pubs between Slurry and Homebush even if it does start to thin out as you approach the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back