Round 1 2015 v Geelong. I'm tipping it gets ugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Write off Geelong at your own peril. They always lift against us and playing us in Round 1 will help them as the games are generally more scrappy due (which lessens our skill advantage).

However, their extra 3 weeks of prep shouldn't make any difference as the season starts later than normal and we seem to be in good shape fitness wise at the moment (touches wood).

I'll be hoping for a Hawks win but won't be expecting it to happen easily.

Last edited:

becalm

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who are Geelong's runners next year? It is looking like if you can stop the finger twirler there will not be much after that. I know they don't like Varcoe but he did run. Christiansen did not play much but was obviously missed and is now gone. Unless they have some gems hidden away where is it coming from?
Didn't they get a guy from Melbourne who can run fast?

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Whats your team going to look like?

How do all of Frawley, Lake, Stratton, Gibson, Schoenmakers, Birchall, Suckling, Duryea ect ect fit into the one team?

Ill be interested to see how your backline setup is and how that affects the midfield and then the forward line?

Could it potentially be the likes of Birchall moving more to a wing, I.Smith/Hill more to an interesting high half forward role which Smith played a bit last year to affect?

Edit: Also i forgot Burgoyne

Whats your team going to look like?

How do all of Frawley, Lake, Stratton, Gibson, Schoenmakers, Birchall, Suckling, Duryea ect ect fit into the one team?

Ill be interested to see how your backline setup is and how that affects the midfield and then the forward line?

Could it potentially be the likes of Birchall moving more to a wing, I.Smith/Hill more to an interesting high half forward role which Smith played a bit last year to affect?

Edit: Also i forgot Burgoyne
Against Geelong we will probably have a main back 6 of:
Gibson Lake Stratton
Suckling Frawley Birchall
And Duryea, Anderson or O'Rourke as sub or on the bench.

Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne will all likely spend time rotating through there too when they're not in the midfield or at half forward.
Duryea looks likely to be included more in the midfield rotations based on training reports. A role Anderson and O'Rourke could also play.
Suckling is one I can see being given the chance to sneak forward and use his boot as a weapon from around 50.

NAB games should shed more light on it all though. With so many fit, AFL standard players available who are all versatile I wouldn't put it past Clarko and co. to come up with original combinations to keep the comp guessing.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-mission-accomplished-e5600f.jpg

Guys to me it seems that the decline of Geelong, and the recruitment of Frawley, have taken the anticipation out of this match?

Hawkins has provided a rare light for Geelong against us recently, but with Lake, Frawley, and everybody fit... I can see the score really blowing out.

It's kinda sad cause I like the rivalry, but then I'd love to demoralise them right from the start of 2015.

Tipping it early. But I'd hate to be a Geelong supporter right now. A rivalry has been had, now the two teams are going in drastically different directions.

I almost feel sympathy for them.... Almost

I saw Hawkins in a pub in Margaret River just before new years', supping on a few bubbly browns. Didn't look like he was worried about training much. I got the kids to walk past him a few times with their Hawks caps on, just to remind him of whats coming his way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Hawkins in a pub in Margaret River just before new years', supping on a few bubbly browns. Didn't look like he was worried about training much. I got the kids to walk past him a few times with their Hawks caps on, just to remind him of whats coming his way...
ha ha... :p weren't you worried that he might eat them? :drunk:

TARGETMAN

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2014
sunny gold coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
sydney roosters.
hawks by 100 and a few new records along the way......back to back to back with minor prems and biggest winning margins, and the brownlow.....

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Guys to me it seems that the decline of Geelong, and the recruitment of Frawley, have taken the anticipation out of this match?

Hawkins has provided a rare light for Geelong against us recently, but with Lake, Frawley, and everybody fit... I can see the score really blowing out.

It's kinda sad cause I like the rivalry, but then I'd love to demoralise them right from the start of 2015.

Tipping it early. But I'd hate to be a Geelong supporter right now. A rivalry has been had, now the two teams are going in drastically different directions.

I wouldn't underestimate them.

I thought our injuries during the year meant we were far fresher than them at year's end. They also had terrible ruck injuries by year's end.

They still beat us earlier didn't they?

Hawkins and Mitch will be hard to control if they are fully fit, although losing Christensen and Varcoe will make them slower over the ground.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'm kind of interested in what missions they can accomplish. Maybe how not to get thumped or really thumped or really really thumped or...

what happens if Hawkins and Clarke eat each other?

they'll be massive.

Disclaimer: Author knows sufficient physics to understand the paradoxical nature of the above statement.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
He actually played not too bad that game. However, the bloke is a genuine spud.

The Cats weren't exactly blessed with pace to begin with...In fact, it was one of their glaring weaknesses....The losses of Varcoe & Christensen will only compound this!

Expect them to slide!....Though they'll likely still lift to beat us by a point, no doubt, in spite of it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back