Round 1 2015 v Geelong. I'm tipping it gets ugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys to me it seems that the decline of Geelong, and the recruitment of Frawley, have taken the anticipation out of this match?

Hawkins has provided a rare light for Geelong against us recently, but with Lake, Frawley, and everybody fit... I can see the score really blowing out.

It's kinda sad cause I like the rivalry, but then I'd love to demoralise them right from the start of 2015.

Tipping it early. But I'd hate to be a Geelong supporter right now. A rivalry has been had, now the two teams are going in drastically different directions.

I almost feel sympathy for them.... Almost
We are going to teach them how to recruit & how to play footy round 1 I can't wait BRING IT

I am going to have a go at our round 1 team.

B: Gibson Lake Stratton
HB: Birchall Frawley Burgoyne
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Rioli Gunston Poupolo
F: Hale Roughead Bruest
Foll: McEvoy Hodge Lewis
Int: Shiels Langford Suckling
Sub: Duryea

How does that look?
Whitecross on bench and Langers as sub.

I want to fit Anderson in there too. Selection this year will be difficult if we maintain a healthy list!

Whitecross on bench and Langers as sub.

I want to fit Anderson in there too. Selection this year will be difficult if we maintain a healthy list!
I would love for nothing more than to see Whitecross have a long an excellent career for Hawthorn. But after the serious injuries he has had to battle over the last 2 seasons he needs to focus on getting confidence back in his body and also his own form so that when he does get recalled to the 1st team he knows he can and will play his role and that he will have earned it.

Who would you take out to put Whitecross in?
Duryea. Not that I'm happy to take him out, but think he'd be the one to make way.
I would love for nothing more than to see Whitecross have a long an excellent career for Hawthorn. But after the serious injuries he has had to battle over the last 2 seasons he needs to focus on getting confidence back in his body and also his own form so that when he does get recalled to the 1st team he knows he can and will play his role and that he will have earned it.
Fair point, but don't forget, he's been around as long as Cyril has (drafted in the same year). I reckon he's been around long enough to know what it takes. If his body is right, I'd back him to slot straight back in.

This. Whitecross highly unlikely to play AFL in round 1. One of the very few players on the list not participating in full training the majority of time.

The way Langers ended the 2014 season suggests to me that he is not going to be sub for us next year, unless it is simply his turn to do it.
He is too versatile and gives us another run-with player other than Shiels.

The interesting aspect of R1 will be to see exactly who does get a run.
A lot of blokes will be stiff to miss out.

The way Langers ended the 2014 season suggests to me that he is not going to be sub for us next year, unless it is simply his turn to do it.
He is too versatile and gives us another run-with player other than Shiels.

The interesting aspect of R1 will be to see exactly who does get a run.
A lot of blokes will be stiff to miss out.
We will have injuries. They're unavoidable with so many old players and the whole comp hunting us every week. The club has also seen the benefits of giving key players a week off to freshen up. We will utilise our depth. The amount of injuries and to who will determine whether outsiders notice.

I am going to have a go at our round 1 team.

B: Gibson Lake Stratton
HB: Birchall Frawley Burgoyne
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Rioli Gunston Poupolo
F: Hale Roughead Bruest
Foll: McEvoy Hodge Lewis
Int: Shiels Langford Suckling
Sub: Duryea

How does that look?

We are a bit like Steve Waugh's Australian Crikcet Team of the 90's / 00's ... Absolute class all over the park!
I swear, our 2nd's would beat most of the bottom 10 sides .. Our depth is that good.

if Jon O'Rourke was drafted by any other club ... He'd be playing round one without doubt.
... At the Hawks .. He's going to be lucky to play 6 games in 2015, such is our depth.

We are a bit like Steve Waugh's Australian Crikcet Team of the 90's / 00's ... Absolute class all over the park!
I swear, our 2nd's would beat most of the bottom 10 sides .. Our depth is that good.

if Jon O'Rourke was drafted by any other club ... He'd be playing round one without doubt.
... At the Hawks .. He's going to be lucky to play 6 games in 2015, such is our depth.

Be happy to see O'Rourke, Hartung, Whitecross or Anderson (or someone out of the blue insert name here..................) jump Duryea (and I like Duryea).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. I can't recall the data agency, but just after Xmas they published an analysis where Hawthorn was rated as number one for player "eliteness". Geelong was number two. Ahead of Port and the Swans.

Underestimate Geelong at your own peril I agree but that data agency thing was tripe it had players like Sucking as elite and Mitchell not.

Underestimate Geelong at your own peril I agree but that data agency thing was tripe it had players like Sucking as elite and Mitchell not.
I was amazed when they listed Suckling as elite .. Suckling is a great left foot kick .. Needs to be harder at the contest to become elite

I was amazed when they listed Suckling as elite .. Suckling is a great left foot kick .. Needs to be harder at the contest to become elite
Its about impact and being harder at the contest is not required for suckers for the role that he plays.

Suckling is nowhere near elite. His spot in the best 21 is debatable.

Yet the coach picked Suckling in the best 21 in the Prelim and the Grand Final.

Is he the coach's pet?

I was talking about the Hawthorn fans when I was saying that.
In another thread, alot of people had Suckling as Sub or Not in their at all.
Catch any fake Hawks Fans with your post?

I just can't see Whitecross playing Round 1 at all. He'll more then likely spend a good solid month in the VFL first to get his touch back before he's even considered for selection. He's been out of the game injured for so long and I doubt the club will risk him at this early stage given he's still only 25 with plenty of footy left ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back