Round 1, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

B Langdon(189) Keeffe(204) Toovey(189)
HB Seedsman(189) Frost(194) Williams(181)
C Freeman(182) Greenwood(181) Sidebottom(180)
HF Varcoe(180) Cloke(196) Broomhead(184)
F Fasolo(181) Reid(195) Elliot (178)

R Witts(209) Adams(181) Pendlebury(191)

B Grundy(203) Swan(185) Goldsack(193)
S Kennedy(174)

Round 1 2015 starting 22

B
Langdon Frost Toovey
HB Keefe Reid Williams
C Sidebottom Greenwood Varcoe
HF Swan Cloke Broomhead
F Elliott Witts White

R Grundy Adams Pendlebury

B Kennedy Goldsack Thomas
Sub Freeman

Backups
Key Position: N.Brown, J.Marsh, D.Moore, C.Gault
Small Backs: T.Armstrong, J.Ramsay
Utilities: P.Karnezis (Fwd/Mid), P.Seedsman (Def/Mid), A.Oxley (Def/Mid), B.Sinclair (Def/Mid/Fwd), A.Fasolo (Def/Mid/Fwd), J.Blair (Mid/Fwd), M.Scharanberg (Def/Mid) - Recovery Dependant
Midfield: S.Dwyer, C.Young, J.Crisp, B.Macaffer - Recovery Dependant

From what I can see we really lack a quality small forward to complement Elliott. Yes we have Broomhead but is he going to give us 30+ goals per year, I hope he does. I think Pick 30 could be used on Ed Langdon who may fit the bill. See below.

A quality fit for our Pick 5 would be Laverde. Has speed, efficiency, X-Factor and kicks goals. Will play seniors next year and could be an absolute star in the making. Otherwise I would look to Jake Lever who will an absolute rock in our back half and is sure of himself and makes the right decisions and holds no fear. Supposedly a true professional and workhorse who would sure us up for the next decade and beyond in the backline. He has the talent to play as a mid to by all accounts and at 193cm's he could be anything. If not these two then I would take Pickett with pace, Wright who is big and strong and kicks a big accurate goal or

Ed Langdon
Height: 182 cm, Weight: 72 kg

A really pacy flanker who can turn games with quick goals in succession, Ed Langdon is the brother of current Collingwood player Tom Langdon. However, Ed is vastly different to his brother. Langdon plays predominantly across half forward, where he’s made that position his own. He thinks fast, and his ball movement is equally as quick. He either involves himself with a quick chain of handballs, or is able to hit a loose ball with speed to lower his eyes and send a bullet-like pass to a teammate. I’m quite a big wrap for his vision, given that he always lowers his eyes and isn’t prone to blazing away. He backs his speed to zip around opponents, and while his kicking is his strength, he’s shown that he can play off half back and on a wing. He’s a good goal kicker, and when he isn’t kicking exciting goals, he’s often the man setting them up.

Jake Lever
Height: 192 cm, Weight: 84 kg

Despite suffering a well-documented ACL tear in January, Jake Lever is still regarded as one of the most sought-after defenders, who often plays taller than he appears. Lever has a nice balance in his game to offer a close-checking role, as well as providing an option to roll-off half back and set up play with his long and precise kick that often finds a target. He also adds a touch of mongrel to add to his aggression and physicality, and it’s a part of the game that he relishes as a defender. Put simply, he loves to niggle. Lever is at his best when he plays a free-wheeling role as a loose man behind the ball: his marking game is superb, as is his nous to read the play which is just as impressive. For a tall guy, he moves well with ball in hand and isn’t afraid to move the ball on quickly, whether that be by offering a dashing run from defence, or letting go of a long, direct handball to clear the area. Lever could very well prove to be the pick of the defenders of this year’s draft in a few years down the track. A super impressive individual blessed with leadership and professionalism, Lever is diligent in his preparation and recovery.

FB Toovey Brown Goldsack
HB Reid Frost Sidebottom
C Crisp Swan Varcoe
HF Elliot Cloke Broomhead
FF Karnezis Grundy Fasolo
Follow Witts Adams Pendlebury
Inter Langdon Seedsman Greenwood Williams

I think we need Sidebottom as a rotating back/mid like Hodge, White is out as I don't think you can play Witts/Grundy/White together, Brown over Keefe - he just seems to mark it more often for me rather than just spoil, Freeman could come in for Crisp but needs some game time and I like Karnezis as a taller mid/forward. Lastly Faz has to be forward as long as he keeps up the pressure acts, otherwise Kennedy gets the nod.

FB Toovey Brown Goldsack
HB Reid Frost Sidebottom
C Crisp Swan Varcoe
HF Elliot Cloke Broomhead
FF Karnezis Grundy Fasolo
Follow Witts Adams Pendlebury
Inter Langdon Seedsman Greenwood Williams

I think we need Sidebottom as a rotating back/mid like Hodge, White is out as I don't think you can play Witts/Grundy/White together, Brown over Keefe - he just seems to mark it more often for me rather than just spoil, Freeman could come in for Crisp but needs some game time and I like Karnezis as a taller mid/forward. Lastly Faz has to be forward as long as he keeps up the pressure acts, otherwise Kennedy gets the nod.

I wager it'll come down to pre-season form with Fas/Kennedy.

Kennedy was the only bright spark of that horrendous West Coast game - really showed he can play great footy while pushing s**t up hill.

I'm dead keen to get Karnezis on the pitch, looked deadly when fit in the 2nds.

B: Tyson Goldsack ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Tom Langdon ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Paul Seedsman

C: Steele Sidebottom ~ Taylor Adams ~ Clinton Young

HF: Travis Varcoe ~ Travis Cloke ~ Dane Swan
F: Brodie Grundy ~ Ben Reid ~ Jamie Elliott

R: Jarrod Witts ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Scott Pendlebury

INT: Nathan Freeman ~ Timothy Broomhead ~ Tony Armstrong
Sub: Jayden Laverde

Question Pies fans regarding ANZAC Day;

Blues v Saints will be playing in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day 2015. I like the idea of trying to build up on the game and try make it a permanent fixture over the next few years.

Collingwood v Essendon has been very successful marquee game and both teams have really made it their own and build up is fantastic every year, regardless where both teams sit on the ladder. Recently AFL has introduced a night game on night game in WA to have that same success interstate and slowly building but of course not the same as Pies v Dons

What do Saints & Blues & AFL need to do to have similar success in NZL and to create that same build up and get full houses and lastly make it a permanent game?

ill have a go at this

B: Tom Langdon ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Jack Frost ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Clinton Young

C: Steele Sidebottom ~ Taylor Adams ~ Travis Varcoe

HF: Alex Fasolo ~ Travis Cloke ~ Jesse White
F:Tyson Goldsack ~ Ben Reid ~ Jamie Elliott

INT: Nathan Freeman ~ Timothy Broomhead ~ Dane Swan
Sub: Tony Armstrong

What do Saints & Blues & AFL need to do to have similar success in NZL and to create that same build up and get full houses and lastly make it a permanent game?[/QUOTE]

Walk from the Shrine or Flinders Street station?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues v Saints will be playing in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day 2015. I like the idea of trying to build up on the game and try make it a permanent fixture over the next few years.

Collingwood v Essendon has been very successful marquee game and both teams have really made it their own and build up is fantastic every year, regardless where both teams sit on the ladder. Recently AFL has introduced a night game on night game in WA to have that same success interstate and slowly building but of course not the same as Pies v Dons

What do Saints & Blues & AFL need to do to have similar success in NZL and to create that same build up and get full houses and lastly make it a permanent game?
No one is going to care about the game in NZ, not sure why other clubs cant come up with their own things

rd 1

B: Alan Toovey - Nathan Brown - Tyson Goldsack
HB: Tom Langdon - Lachlan Keeffe - Marley Williams
C: Dane Swan - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Tim Broomhead - Ben Reid - Travis Varcoe
FF: Jamie Elliott - Travis Cloke - Ben Kennedy
R: Jarrod Witts - Levi Greenwood - Taylor Adams
I: Jesse White - Paul Seedsman - Patrick Karnesis - Josh Thomas

This is the team I came up with. Found it very hard to find the right balance with talls/smalls. Made this side up without knowing what the lions might look like and whether our draftees in Moore, Shaz and Freeman are able the break in.

Good mix of inside mids in Greenwood, Adams and Thomas should see us be competitive on the inside while Sidebottom, Pendles, Swanny, Seedsman and Broomhead to compliment the outside. I've gone with Witts as the Ruckman with White to give him a breather and play as our third tall with Cloke and Reid leading the attack.

I tried to balance out the backline to make sure we weren't too defensive. Brown and Keeffe to take the two talls with Goldsack to help (Maxwell role). I left frost out as I thought that would make us too defensive, with Keeffe and Langdon providing us the drive and penetration with their kicking. If things go haywire we can always swing goldsack and Reid around.

B Langdon(189) Keeffe(204) Toovey(189)
HB Seedsman(189) Frost(194) Williams(181)
C Freeman(182) Greenwood(181) Sidebottom(180)
HF Varcoe(180) Cloke(196) Broomhead(184)
F Fasolo(181) Reid(195) Elliot (178)

R Witts(209) Adams(181) Pendlebury(191)

B Grundy(203) Swan(185) Goldsack(193)
S Kennedy(174)

How do we compare in talls/smalls set up with Hawks? They always seem to have the right balance and role players.

So you're a Carlton and L.A Lakers fan, who is located in Hoppers Crossing... how you managed to turn on your computer let alone use it amazes me

No good, hoping to build make it a blockbuster to rival 'Pies v Bombers' at the MCG
Playing a game in NZ with one big club and a small club is never going to go near the ANZAC day match, it will be out of sight out of mind. The game starts 11 am our time by the time people have done what they want to do on ANZAC day and are ready for the footy it if half time

Playing a game in NZ with one big club and a small club is never going to go near the ANZAC day match, it will be out of sight out of mind. The game starts 11 am our time by the time people have done what they want to do on ANZAC day and are ready for the footy it if half time

I hate Saints v Blues on Monday Night football, crap time

Was reading intention over next few years is to rival the game at the MCG but due to being on a Saturday have to accept 11am start but hopefully year after its a standard night game so ratings will be higher and hopefully attendance. However Game at the MCG is such a high marquee game and has been for an extended period of time looks doubtful

I hate Saints v Blues on Monday Night football, crap time

Was reading intention over next few years is to rival the game at the MCG but due to being on a Saturday have to accept 11am start but hopefully year after its a standard night game so ratings will be higher and hopefully attendance. However Game at the MCG is such a high marquee game and has been for an extended period of time looks doubtful
Will never happen time slot has been given to the WA sides. We are never going to have a blockbuster in NZ. Well not for at least 40 years

ill have a go at this

B: Tom Langdon ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Jack Frost ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Clinton Young

C: Steele Sidebottom ~ Taylor Adams ~ Travis Varcoe

HF: Alex Fasolo ~ Travis Cloke ~ Jesse White
F:Tyson Goldsack ~ Ben Reid ~ Jamie Elliott

INT: Nathan Freeman ~ Timothy Broomhead ~ Dane Swan
Sub: Tony Armstrong
May as well open the flood gates down back. Terrible defence. I'd hate that to line up against Sydney or Hawthorn. Automatic losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back