Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The scenario that has me worried is Geelong. During their golden era their reserves team had a heap of guys who at that level were seen as ready replacements for all the champs when they retired. They were clearly too good for reserves level, Geelong seemed to have stockpiled them.

But once the champs started to go and they budding stars played seniors they were found to be just role players or not up to senior level. I'm hoping that the handful of our ressie players who appear to be senior quality are indeed that.

Our depth is very thin, thinner than last year.

but this is always the case. its easy to be the 6th midfielder playing on the 6th midfielder. when midfielders 1 and 2 go and you have to go from 6th to 3rd the game gets harder - thats why you usually step back a season before you go again - players get sorted out and they either sink or swim

but its also the reason im not so worried - goodes and shaw played on the 4th or fifth best players as it was. its not like the players that are being replaced are irreplaceable. goodes would have been in 2008. the 2015 goodes is replaceable. shaw will actually be harder to replace because we have no natural players who are willing to take the game on from our back line any more

McGlynn not as bad as people think.

Bit of recency bias because of his two stinker finals.
The entirety of last season was a wash for him because of injuries.

Was 7th in the B&F only a year before. Still got a lot to offer this season in my opinion.

His GF was a stinker too & considering he would have been super hungry after missing the p'ship, that's a cross against his name going into 2016.
Being 7th in the 2014 B & F is irrelevant going into 2016.
Just ask ROK after winning the Norm Smith in 2012 & being forced into retirement in early 2014.

The ball is most definitely in Benny's court!
Not that I'm writing him off but the evidence that his body & form is in decline is overwhelming.

Last edited:

Im hoping so but it probably wont happen early. May take an injury to find his way in but wouldnt be surprised if he was best 22 by the end of the season.

In the pre-season we start with resting senior players and nearly all the 'junior' players getting a game, then in weeks 2 and 3 a couple of senior players come in each week often leaving the best performing 'junior' player in the team for round 1. That's Newman's best opportunity to break in and he will have the benefit of possibly filling the much needed half back replacement for Shaw.

Sydney's 2016 best 22

B:
Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Ted Richards

HB:
Dane Rampe, Michael Talia, Jarrad McVeigh

C:
Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Isaac Heeney

HF:
Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Luke Parker

F:
Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippett, Brandon Jack

R:
Callum Sinclair, Kieren Jack, Tom Mitchell

INT:
Jeremy Laidler, Sam Reid, Jake Lloyd, Harry Cunningham

Depth

James Rose (2 games)
Zak Jones (15 games)
Toby Nankervis (5 games)
Tom Derickx (15 games)
Dean Towers (17 games)
Daniel Robinson (4 games)
Nic Newman
Alex Johnson (45 games) When he returns he's an automatic inclusion for the Swans. No idea when he will return to footy from injury though
Sam Naismith (1 game)
Xavier Richards (2 games)

Predictions

Ladder Position: 2nd-4th
Club Best & Fairest: Dan Hannebery
Leading Goal Kicker: Lance Franklin (65 Goals)
Most Brownlow votes: Dan Hannebery (20-30 votes)
All-Australian contenders: Daniel Hannebery, Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Nick Smith
Most Improved players in 2016: Brandon Jack, Zak Jones and Toby Nankervis
Most underrated player: Gary Rohan

Everyone is fit and we're playing Fremantle (so need two defensive smalls).......

Jones Richards Smith
Johnson Grundy Laidler
McVeigh Kennedy Rampe
Heeney Franklin Reid
Parker Tippett Rohan

Sinclair Hannebery Mitchell

K Jack B Jack Mills Towers

Omissions: McGlynn, Rose, Cunningham, Lloyd, Talia.

Sydney's 2016 best 22

B:
Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Ted Richards

HB:
Dane Rampe, Michael Talia, Jarrad McVeigh

C:
Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Isaac Heeney

HF:
Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Luke Parker

F:
Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippett, Brandon Jack

R:
Callum Sinclair, Kieren Jack, Tom Mitchell

INT:
Jeremy Laidler, Sam Reid, Jake Lloyd, Harry Cunningham

Depth

James Rose (2 games)
Zak Jones (15 games)
Toby Nankervis (5 games)
Tom Derickx (15 games)
Dean Towers (17 games)
Daniel Robinson (4 games)
Nic Newman
Alex Johnson (45 games) When he returns he's an automatic inclusion for the Swans. No idea when he will return to footy from injury though
Sam Naismith (1 game)
Xavier Richards (2 games)

Predictions

Ladder Position: 2nd-4th
Club Best & Fairest: Dan Hannebery
Leading Goal Kicker: Lance Franklin (65 Goals)
Most Brownlow votes: Dan Hannebery (20-30 votes)
All-Australian contenders: Daniel Hannebery, Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Nick Smith
Most Improved players in 2016: Brandon Jack, Zak Jones and Toby Nankervis
Most underrated player: Gary Rohan

Good looking team but just having a look at some of these 'Swans best team' posts on here & it pretty much answers the question of our critics on whether we will have enough depth in 2016.

Now my adjustments!
If Zac Jones doesn't play every game starting back & perhaps wing, then we don't deserve to keep him.
Laidler too. Along with Grundy he was our most reliable defender & is our best at intercepts in that position over the last two years.
I also am a strong believer in the blooding of new players recruited for set roles. Nic Newman comes to mind. He is a Malceski replacement with his kicking. We lacked that this year yet we still finished 4th at the end of the H & A!

So we certainly have plenty depth down back, where we have been heavily criticized as lacking.
Rohan, Cunningham, Lloyd & McGlynn will be next year's Bird if they don't take the opportunity early.
Rohan perhaps the one with some time but spots will dry up for them if Rose & Mills take off!

Just my thoughts!

Arguably with Richards, Grundy and Talia in the side there is less room for Laidler. He had an excellent year so he's in my 22, but it wouldn't surprise me if across the year he was battling with Talia for who gets a spot on form. With Smith, Richards, Grundy, Talia and Laidler all in the side we look a bit short of a gallop coming out of the back half. Possible to squeeze McGlynn in ahead of Talia/Laidler.

Agree with this. I can see Talia squeezing Laidler out. Laider was good this year, but a taller player in that position gives us more options, and Laidler just doesn't provide enough rebound to slot into Shaw's spot for example. He's very capable at covering, but I just don't think he's automatic best 22. Here's hoping AJ can be ready to go in 2017 to pick up where Teddy leaves off.

Sadly best 22 almost pick themselves as after the first 25 or so we really are dipping into the untried. Mills should be capable of holding down a permanent spot, but I won't throw him in at Round 1 just yet. That may change after the practice matches.

B: Smith, Talia, T. Richards
HB: Rampe, Grundy, McVeigh
C: K. Jack, Kennedy, Hannebery
HF: Rohan, Reid, Heeney
F: Cunningham, Franklin, Towers
R: Tippett, Parker, Mitchell
Int: Sinclair, Lloyd, Jones, McGlynn

Emg: Laidler, Mills, B. Jack

After that it gets very thin. Discounting Johnson the next most experienced player is Derickx with 13 games and he may not even be kept. Nankervis 5, Robinson 4, X. Richards and Rose 1 and a quarter, and Naismith 3 quarters.
The rest of the list hasn't cracked a senior game yet.

If injuries come - and in 2015 they did, some unknowns are going to have to step up, and in a hurry.

Last edited:
Agree with this. I can see Talia squeezing Laidler out. Laider was good this year, but a taller player in that position gives us more options, and Laidler just doesn't provide enough rebound to slot into Shaw's spot for example. He's very capable at covering, but I just don't think he's automatic best 22. Here's hoping AJ can be ready to go in 2017 to pick up where Teddy leaves off.

Sadly best 22 almost pick themselves as after the first 25 or so we really are dipping into the untried. Mills should be capable of holding down a permanent spot, but I won't throw him in at Round 1 just yet. That may change after the practice matches.

B: Smith, Talia, T. Richards
HB: Rampe, Grundy, McVeigh
C: K. Jack, Kennedy, Hannebery
HF: Rohan, Reid, Heeney
F: Cunningham, Franklin, Towers
R: Sinclair, Parker, Mitchell
Int: Sinclair, Lloyd, Jones, McGlynn

Emg: Laidler, Mills, B. Jack

After that it gets very thin. Discounting Johnson the next most experienced player is Derickx with 13 games and he may not even be kept. Nankervis 5, Robinson 4, X. Richards and Rose 1 and a quarter, and Naismith 3 quarters.
The rest of the list hasn't cracked a senior game yet.

If injuries come - and in 2015 they did, some unknowns are going to have to step up, and in a hurry.

You cant fit laidler in the best 22 but you have a spot for Sinclair on the field and on the bench o_O

I disagree. Laidler was extremely consistent all year. Worst case laidler starts on the bench while Talia starts on the field.

Here's what I think we will go with. Only change I see as possible is Mcpoint to HF, laider in to HBF and Mills to bench for Rose out. Just depends what set up Horse wants to go with.

B:
Nick Smith, Michael Talia, Ted Richards
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
HF: Callum Mills, Lance Franklin, Issac Heeney
F: Gary Rohan, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: Jake Lloyd, Zak Jones, Dean Towers, James Rose
Emg: Spud probably Nankervis, Spud probably B.Jack, Spud probably Laidler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a better demonstration, try assuming the average number of best 22 injuries/suspensions (3-4) and see what your teams look like then.

Well it depends who the injuries are but I think we look ok across the board. Obviously, like any club, too many injuries and we're ****ed, but we do seem to have good options.

Sinclair = Naismith
Tippett = Nankervis
Inside midfielder = Hewett, McGlynn
Outside midfielder = Lloyd, Cunningham
Key defender = Talia, X Richards
Running Defender = Newman
Small Forward = Rose
Franklin or Reid = Reid to CHF and Davis to swinging tall.

Here's what I think we will go with. Only change I see as possible is Mcpoint to HF, laider in to HBF and Mills to bench for Rose out. Just depends what set up Horse wants to go with.

B:
Nick Smith, Michael Talia, Ted Richards
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
HF: Callum Mills, Lance Franklin, Issac Heeney
F: Gary Rohan, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: Jake Lloyd, Zak Jones, Dean Towers, James Rose
Emg: Spud probably Nankervis, Spud probably B.Jack, Spud probably Laidler
Very good from you the former McHack is now McPoint

Fb: smith richards grundy

Hb : jones talia rampe

C: k jack kennedy hanners

Hf: rohan buddy heeney

Ff : reid tippett mglynn

R: sinclair parker mitchell

I/c: lloyd cunningham mills b jack (jack lucky but with jetta gone we need some pace)

Probably not our best 22 but with an eye on having us in the best position to challenge in 2017

Smith - Talia - T Richards
McVeigh - Grundy - Rohan
Hannebery - Kennedy - Rampe
K Jack - Franklin - Heeney
Rose - Sinclair - Reid
Tippett - Parker - Mitchell

Jones - Laidler/X Richards - Cunningham - B Jack/Towers/Lloyd

McVeigh has to play back - whilst his kicking fell away at the end of last season he is probably our best kick so he is needed to hit targets coming out of defence. Rohan needs to play behind the ball to make it easier for him to find it. His contribution in the forward line has been valuable but his pace will be more useful if he can find the ball more often. T Richards to perhaps be replaced by his brother as the season goes on depending on form.

I think Rampe on the wing might be a good option to replace Jetta as he has pace and is a long kick - the advantage is that he will get more touches than Jetta and is also much more comfortable when required to play more of an inside role.

Heeney will play more of a midfield role this year but will also be useful as a forward. Jack should perhaps play more forward and I'd like to give Rose an extended run as it looks like he could be very creative as a small/medium forward once he finds his niche.

On the bench perhaps only Jones and Cunningham would be definite choices in the best 22. Jones obviously to play back but I'd like to see him added to the midfield rotations where possible. Cunningham would play his usual wing/hf role but needs to be given a licence to take the game on more. He needs to step up with Jetta being gone. Laidler has earned a spot but could potentially be a casualty if another defender like X Richards really steps up. I'd like to see B Jack given half a dozen games to cement a place in the forward line with some time in the middle and if he struggles then Towers gets a go. Lloyd is a tough one - if his kicking gets back to its best he is definitely best 22.

I've probably missed someone ... After three bad finals in a row McGlynn needs to prove he has it in him to contribute. Mills would probably come into the team in the second half of the year if he has the ability to play forward.

As a better demonstration, try assuming the average number of best 22 injuries/suspensions (3-4) and see what your teams look like then.

So let's say we lose 4.

I end up with finding coverage from tne following:

Depth : Mills - Towers - Robinson - Naismith - Rose - Hewett - Nanka - Newman - Drex - Aliir - XR (can't count on the Irish kid to get a game but it'd be great if he was more advanced than we expect)

From that group maybe 1 or two can push for 10-15 games (especially if McGlynn drops off the pace). Mills especially.

That group can cover niggles. But season ending injuries to key players and we're stuffed. But that's no different to any team or any year really.

The key will be not relying on 3 or 4 of the above if we make finals unless they've played some serious game time and showed they've taken the next step.

Fb: smith richards grundy

Hb : jones talia rampe

C: k jack kennedy hanners

Hf: rohan buddy heeney

Ff : reid tippett mglynn

R: sinclair parker mitchell

I/c: lloyd cunningham mills b jack (jack lucky but with jetta gone we need some pace)

Tough crowd when the captain can't even make the team

B: N.Smith H.Grundy D.Rampe
HB: J.McVeigh T.Richards Z.Jones
C: G.Rohan L.Parker K.Jack
HF: S.Reid K.Tippet D.Towers
F: I.Heeney L.Franklin H.Cunningham
FOLL: C.Sinclair D.Hannebery J.Kennedy
INT: T.Mitchell J.Lloyd J.Laidler C.Mills
EM: M.Talia B.Jack J.Rose

From this team,
- I hope that Talia over the pre-season forces himself into the 22
- I hope Mills is ready to go week 1, however B.Jack/J.Rose with our deep midfield could work
- K.Tippett/C.Sinclair are interchangeable

God I love no sub bullshit anymore

Last edited:
B: N.Smith H.Grundy D.Rampe
HB: J.McVeigh T.Richards Z.Jones
C: G.Rohan L.Parker K.Jack
HF: S.Reid K.Tippet D.Towers
F: I.Heeney L.Franklin H.Cunningham
FOLL: C.Sinclair D.Hannebery J.Kennedy
INT: T.Mitchell J.Lloyd J.Laidler C.Mills
EM: M.Talia B.Jack J.Rose

From this team,
- I hope that Talia over the pre-season forces himself into the 22
- I hope Mills is ready to go week 1, however B.Jack/J.Rose with our deep midfield could work
- K.Tippett/C.Sinclair are interchangeable

God I love no sub bullshit anymore

No sub

anchormanhooray.gif

The removal of the sub is the AFL's latest equalisation measure - Longmire was the worst user of it in the league so its removal is a great boost for us next year :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back