Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The removal of the sub is the AFL's latest equalisation measure - Longmire was the worst user of it in the league so its removal is a great boost for us next year :thumbsu:

Well it was brought in because of White going on the field whilst playing for Sydney. But now that he plays for Collingwood the rule is no longer required. Equalisation in action. :D

The removal of the sub is the AFL's latest equalisation measure - Longmire was the worst user of it in the league so its removal is a great boost for us next year :thumbsu:
haha can you get me some statistics on that please?

I remember 1 good game. Rose v GWS though the game was already won

B: Smith, Richards, Talia
HB: McVeigh, Grundy, Rampe
C: Rohan, Kennedy, Hannebery
HF: Parker, Franklin, Cunningham
F: Mcglynn, Tippett, Towers
R: Sinclair, Jack, Mitchell
I/C: Laidler, Heeney, Mills, Reid
Emg: Lloyd, B Jack, Zones

I don't know what it will be but this is what I think it should be:
B: Smith Richards Talia
HB: McVeigh Grundy Rampe
C: Rohan K.Jack Parker
HF: Heeney Franklin Hannebery
F: Reid Sinclair Cunningham
FOL: Tippett Mitchell Kennedy
I/C: Mills Hewett McGlynn Jones
Emg: Laidler Rose Lloyd Robertson Towers Newman BJ

Notes:
+ I've got Rohan on the wing, but I have some concerns about his stamina. Hopefully he'll be fitter this year.
+ I'd like to see Rampe, McVeigh & Hannaberry rotating through the midfield.
+ Tippett and Sinclair sharing the ruck 60/40 respectively.
+ Talia to take Richards position next year after being an understudy this year.

Notes:
+ I've got Rohan on the wing, but I have some concerns about his stamina. Hopefully he'll be fitter this year.
+ Talia to take Richards position next year after being an understudy this year.

Wont make the 8 next year probably when you look at the team

Looking forward to seeing more of Rose next season. I reckon he arrived last year having mostly played SANFL reserves so the step up was quite large.

Another preseason under his belt and a taste of senior action, I reckon he could quickly cement a best 22 spot, mainly as a forward, seems to have a great footy brain. You'd expect Heeney to move to an outside mid position next (2016) season rather than the mainly fwd role he had this year.

Also thinking someone like Abe Davis could jump into contention, maybe in a latter day Goodes type role?

I think we've had just the right number of retirees/trades to ensure a handful of the deserving kids get more regular senior action. Just need draft night to go well now.

Notes:

There is no way Laidler gets dropped. Most consistent defender last year besides Grundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let's say he replaces McVeigh at hbf, who goes out?
Hewett gets dropped, Laidler to def, Talia/Ted to bench.

Honestly can see Ted struggling this year with form and struggling to hold his place by the end of the year. Especially if we draft Mitch Brown as well as Talia.

Ted was very inconsistent last year and his pace has dropped off. He also couldn't contain his man anymore. So many times he was 1-2 meters behind his man on a lead last year. I suspect if we had more options he probably would have been dropped at least once during the year, but such was our lack of key defenders he held his spot.

Hewett gets dropped, Laidler to def, Talia/Ted to bench.

Honestly can see Ted struggling this year with form and struggling to hold his place by the end of the year. Especially if we draft Mitch Brown as well as Talia.

Ted was very inconsistent last year and his pace has dropped off. He also couldn't contain his man anymore. So many times he was 1-2 meters behind his man on a lead last year. I suspect if we had more options he probably would have been dropped at least once during the year, but such was our lack of key defenders he held his spot.

Not just that. He found himself being ragdolled a lot more than one would expect, and a lot more easily as well. He started playing for free kicks a bit as well.

C: Rohan K.Jack Hannebery
HF: Heeney Franklin Parker
F: Reid Tippett Cunningham
FOL: Sinclair Mitchell Kennedy
I/C: Laidler Lloyd McGlynn Jones
Emg: Rose Hewitt Towers

I'm hoping my three emergencies get plenty of gametime throughout the year. With Jetta gone, Hewitt could play that outside mid role, apparently his distribution is great. Rose showed enough vitality and energy to provide some pace and spark to our forward line. Towers was actually in great form towards the end of 2015. He has one of the highest vertical leap in the comp, which is a great asset.
As to players who's spots are at risk, I'm looking at Lloyd. He's put in 110%, but with Mills coming up, and Jones probably taking some midfield time at some point, he needs to show a bit more class.
Speaking of which, Jones needs to step up a bit over the off season. He's pretty clearly in Horse's vision of the team, but he either needs to up his defensive accountability, or up his disposal numbers. His aggression is so good to see though.

Our defensive depth is a bit weak, but I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeally hoping we draft ex-Cat Mitch Brown, who is killing it in the VFL. That would put pressure on Reg and Ted.

So everyone presumes bud rolls out ready to go
The alternative is too terrible to imagine :( But if he did leave/wasn't ready, probably Nank would take his spot? Or would we put a smaller play in the forward line and let Reid fill that CHF role?

Last edited:
The alternative is too terrible to imagine :( But if he did leave/wasn't ready, probably Nank would take his spot? Or would we put a smaller play in the forward line and let Reid fill that CHF role?

We would have Reid and Tippett up forward I think. Without Buddy

Forward - Reid and Tippett
Ruck - Sinclair and Tippett
Defence - Richards, Grundy, Talia

It is an okay list of talls. It would be better with Buddy there but it isn't like we would go "we are really weak in our key position players"

Still some concerns in this side, McGlynn barely looked AFL standard this year, unlikely to improve at 31.

Mcveigh is 31 next year will we see some decline?

Ted is cooked, but Talia frees him up then it can work, but its his last year.

Grundy 30, Franklin and Tippett 29, the top end talent is at the age it needs to challenge for the flag, but that line probably wont

If the middle- young tier kick in by then Buddy will be pushing his mid 30s, shame.

I Just dont see a flag in sight looking at the line up, hopefully the draft is a winner

Maybe I'm blissfully ignorant but I'm just as, if not more, optimistic about 2016 and beyond than I have been since 2012. We have a very young side with very few veterans to carry. We have also partially corrected our deficiencies of ruck and KPD.

Sinclair isn't a pure ruckmen, ALA Mummy but I can see Tippett playing most of this role and he's very good at it. Hopefully Naismith will be ready to be our no.1. ruck in 2017.

Talia has come in a KPD. He still needs more work and experience but hopefully a year as an understudy to Richards (if he wants to cut his brothers lunch) he'll be better for it. Chances are that either of XR or Aliir will make it to the seniors or maybe even Davis or Melican might grow into this position.

The only players that are likely to slow down or retire in the next year or so are: Richards and McGlynn, and to a lesser extent McVeigh and Grundy.

We've got one of the best midfields in the comp and we've more guns coming through in Heeney, Hewitt and Mills. God knows where we're going to place them all. We really do need at least one outside runner though. Hopefully Hiscox will develop into this.

I Believe that we're in a better position than other traditionally strong clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong who will fall back in the couple of years. We have some strong youth which we know will be around for the next several years at least: Parker, Mitchell, Hanners, Heeney, Mills, Hewitt, Lloyd, Reid, Rampe, Jones, Rose, Nanka, Naismith, Talia, as well as other potentials, and hopefully AJ. You can build a team around these young guns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back