HF: David Zaharakis, Patrick Ryder, Stewart Crameri
FF: Alwyn Davey, Michael Hurley, Nick Kommer
R: Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett
I/C: Heath Hocking, Jackson Merrett, David Myers, Jake Melksham
EMG: Leroy Jetta, Kyle Hardingham, Elliott Kavanagh
Forecast: Cloudy, 18 degrees
TAB: Adelaide $1.45, Essendon $2.75

Snapshot
The Toyota 2013 Premiership Season kicks off with the Adelaide Crows and the Essendon Football Club clashing at AAMI Stadium. Both sides had incredibly distracting off-seasons, with the Crows embroiled in the Kurt Tippett/salary cap saga, while Essendon are still in the midst of the ASADA investigation into drug use among players. Both sides will be keen for the first bounce.

Stop him at all costs
The Crows have plenty of dominant matchwinners, such as Patrick Dangerfield, Scott Thompson, Sam Jacobs and Daniel Talia, but the one Essendon defenders will be losing sleep over tonight is Taylor Walker. 'The Mullet' hasn't been outstanding in the NAB Cup, but in 2012 he booted 63 goals, entrenching himself as one of the next dominant forwards of the current era. Who does James Hird send to Tex? Cale Hooker could be a possibility, while Jake Carlisle proved last season he isn't incapable of playing on the big forwards. Or we could see Michael Hurley thrown back for a mouthwatering contest.

The Crows will have their own worries though. The 2012 Brownlow Medalist needs to be curtailed. Jobe Watson could determine the fate of the match by his own game. As captain, he has been under more scrutiny than most during the off-season drama, and he will be hoping to put in a big performance. The Crows could put Thompson on Watson, which would be an all-star match-up, or they could bring Brent Reilly into the midfield to try and curtail him.

Draftee watch
Mini-draft selection Brad Crouch is a strong chance to make his long-awaited debut for Adelaide on Friday night. He spent 2012 training with the group and playing in the SANFL, and is primed to make a big impact from the get-go.

Hird has made it clear that exciting father-son recruit Joe Daniher won't play, but Nick Kommer will. The mature-age (22) recruit will make his debut for the Bombers after being selected in the fourth round of the National Draft. From East Perth, he is a hardened midfielder who had an impact in the NAB Cup and won't be overawed on the big stage.

SuperCoach
Reliability, consistency, and durability. If you look up the SuperCoach Dictionary, under those words you will find Scott Thompson. The Adelaide midfielder has been a beacon of success in the past two seasons, playing 22 games and averaging 110.5 points each year. He has been carefully managed in the NAB Cup, playing two full-length games and averaging 85 points. But once the real stuff kicks off, you'll realise that it is $591,000 well spent.

He was one of the biggest movers in the off-season, now it's time for Brendon Goddard to walk the walk. The St Kilda star of 10 seasons may find himself wearing new colours, but he is still a SuperCoach staple in your defence or midfield. He played two games in the NAB Cup as well as the two shortened versions. In the two full-length games, he scored 102 points, which gives you plenty of confidence in selecting him at $541,500.

History
It is not often that Adelaide plays Essendon in Melbourne, with this clash being the fifth home game for the Crows in a row. Since 2000, the Crows and the Bombers have played 17 times. From left to right, this is the result of each game from the start of the milennium.

E - E - A - E - A - E - A - A - E - E - A - A - A - A - A - E - A

Overall
Adelaide: 10/17
Essendon: 7/17

Adelaide home game (AAMI Stadium)
Adelaide: 8/11
Essendon: 3/11

Essendon home game (Etihad Stadium)
Adelaide: 2/6
Essendon: 4/6

Prediction
This should be a cracking game, and although there will be plenty of miskicks and poor handballs, it will be great to have the footy back. Given it's a home game and the crowd should well be in excess of 45,000, i'm tipping the ADELAIDE CROWS to defeat Essendon.

Margin: 33

First goalkicker: Brent Stanton

The OCD inside me is hating the positioning of the Crows and Bombers logo, but I can't move them. Soz guyz.

Put them next to each other ;)
Nice review mate!

Tex Support

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Houston, UT Longhorns
I'll be there. Can't get to many games these days but I was never missing this.

Pumped.

Teams added to OP.

Love the pearler from Robbo in the Herald Sun today. Something along the lines of, "Patrick Dangerfield and his captain, Scott Thompson..." :rolleyes: how do these squibs still have jobs?

To be fair, Nathan van Berlo is completely forgettable and is only known as the older brother of Jay. :D

I don't think many of us put much stock in what Robbo thinks anyway.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
To be fair, Nathan van Berlo is completely forgettable and is only known as the older brother of Jay. :D

I don't think many of us put much stock in what Robbo thinks anyway.
Yeh that is quite pathetic. But its obvious Robbo tries to troll anything non victorian as seen by his cringeworthy attempts to derail his interview with Kochy.

TheFootyReview

Draftee
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Hard to get a read on this game. Its hard to know just what frame of mind the Bombers are in. There is a good chance that for the first proper game they could be juiced up (on adrenaline) and come out the blocks like a team possessed. Will that be enough tho?

I havent been particularly impressed with the Crows pre-season form. I know its not the be all and end all however their smacking at the hands of Geelong still sticks in the mind. Saying that i believe the 4 teams that start round 1 early all took the NAB cup easier then the rest so maybe I am better off ignoring it.

Reckon the crows will come from behind to just get over the line by a couple of goals.

By all reports this match is close to a sell out. Which is greeat however it begs the question why 54,000 will show up to this game yet the crows last home game (an elimination final) could only get 30,000?

Wright Away

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
By all reports this match is close to a sell out. Which is greeat however it begs the question why 54,000 will show up to this game yet the crows last home game (an elimination final) could only get 30,000?

One is a game covered by a season ticket or cheap GA ticket, the other is an expensive final not covered by season ticket.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
Teams are out, Crouch isn't in the 22?

Listed as an energency, despite having a great game against Carlton. I'm surprised, but obviously a team balance thing with all being available for selection bar Callinan and Shaw. Sure he will play a big part this season. Can't really see who he would replace in that lineup though.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Question bomber fans, how unlucky are Jetta, Hardingham, Kavanagh, Gumbleton, Daniher and Pears? Would Winderlich play is he was fit? Is Merrett lucky?

As for the crows, what about Crough, Tambling, Thompson, Brown, Lynch, McKernan and some guys I've probablly forgotten?

Question bomber fans, how unlucky are Jetta, Hardingham, Kavanagh, Gumbleton, Daniher and Pears? Would Winderlich play is he was fit? Is Merrett lucky?

As for the crows, what about Crough, Tambling, Thompson, Brown, Lynch, McKernan and some guys I've probablly forgotten?

Merrett has earned his spot with a great pre-season. Jetta and Hardy maybe the only ones who can feel slightly unlucky, but damn it's good to have lots of competition for a spot in the side in all positions on the ground.

Quality preview.

Real shame that Crouch isn't playing. Am looking forward to seeing him develop.

I reckon the Crows narrowly. I think this will be a close game, but there'll be a few round one cobwebs to clear out for both sides.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Good early test for Adelaide. A lot of 'experts' are tipping that they will be the team to drop off this year to make way for the likes of Carlton, Richmond etc.

Rationale is that they don't have Tippett and they had a soft draw.

FWIW, Tippett barely played last year, and they still nearly took out Hawthorn in a prelim so I think they will be right up there again. Their midfield is too good. But no doubt there are a few doubters at the moment.

Essendon don't like to travel, but I think have a very solid team across the board. They might just struggle to match Adelaide's midfield depth and class...although the inclusion of Goddard improves their midfield significantly.

I can't wait. Will be a ripping game I reckon.

Back