Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I may post some info in players individual threads when I get some time. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there wont be a huge amount of super positive stuff to come from it but I'll find stuff that people might find interesting.
Too many double negatives... :confused::confused:

In a prospectus we would look pretty ordinary. We have a tiny handful of very experienced campaigners (Rooey, Joey,Fisher), a small batch of mid career guys with only a couple of high quality ( Steven, Armitage, Geary), the a big batch of emerging or outright inexperienced guys. Not much on paper to sell us but I believe this year we will see at least 6 players who emerge as enticing prospects....I'm thinking guys like Ross, Newness, White, Lee, Saunders, Wright etc could burst onto the scene.

Thats the whole thing. The prospectus is not speculative.
But my own feel is that the guys you mentioned have shown a whole lot more potential than we've saw from the likes of Eddy, Heyne, etc

Off topic, but for funsies I had a crack at the all-time Saints "Weird Names XXII"... Enjoy.

FB: Wels EICKE / Verdun HOWELL / Jarryn GEARY
HB: Colm BEGLEY / Trojan DARVENIZA / Jayden ATTARD
CR: Jayson DANIELS / Maverick WELLER / Wyn OUTEN
HF: Kain TAYLOR / Jarryd ALLEN / Jody ARNOL
FF: Damen SHAW / Milan FALETIC / Aldo DIPETTA
RK: Lazar VIDOVIC / Laird SMITH / Caydn BEETHAM
I/C: Tasman ROBERTS / Aubrey McKENZIE / Carlyle KENLEY / Phonse ORGER​

Before anyone gets too excited, yes, I know Verdun is a town in France and a WWI battle of great significance; how many blokes named Verdun do you know?

Mordy Bromberg avoids the team by virtue of Mordecai being a reasonably common Jewish name. Ahmed Saad misses too, as it's only an uncommon name in AFL terms.

A few Alfs, Clarries and Ivors miss out too due to their names only being uncommon in this day and age, despite Aubrey McKenzie getting the nod.

Last edited:

In regards to your list Barrels, ive always thought Jarryn was a strange name.
Its like Mum wanted Jaryd & Dad wanted Daryn so they said "stuff it, will go with Jarryn.
Big Lazer worked for Armaguard for a while and used to drop the pays off where i worked yrs ago. The girls in the office were amazed how tall he was.
Last i heard of him he had a 2nd hand car dealership in Footscray. Buts its not there anymore.

Off topic, but for funsies I had a crack at the all-time Saints "Weird Names XXII"... Enjoy.

Before anyone gets too excited, yes, I know Verdun is a town in France and a WWI battle of great significance; how many blokes named Verdun do you know?

Mordy Bromberg avoids the team by virtue of Mordecai being a reasonably common Jewish name. Ahmed Saad misses too, as it's only an uncommon name in AFL terms.

A few Alfs, Clarries and Ivors miss out too due to their names only being uncommon in this day and age, despite Aubrey McKenzie getting the nod.
The “WTF” One-Gamers XXII
B – Jack WHITTLE / Otto OPELT / Bob CROMIE
HB – Herb FRIEND / Norm BLAND / Ned O’CONNOR
C – Angus FREGON / Jack INDIAN / Steve STEVENS
HF – Cliff GOLDSTRAW / Larry POLINELLI / Barney McGARRY
F – Paddy McGUINNESS / Joe BUSHELL / Tommy LAMPRELL
R – Alby OATWAY / Peter McCRACKEN / Arthur COBAIN
IC – Wal HERON / Bill OCKLESHAW / Ern AURISH / Owen MURTAGH

The “WTF” One-Gamers XXII
B – Jack WHITTLE / Otto OPELT / Bob CROMIE
HB – Herb FRIEND / Norm BLAND / Ned O’CONNOR
C – Angus FREGON / Jack INDIAN / Steve STEVENS
HF – Cliff GOLDSTRAW / Larry POLINELLI / Barney McGARRY
F – Paddy McGUINNESS / Joe BUSHELL / Tommy LAMPRELL
R – Alby OATWAY / Peter McCRACKEN / Arthur COBAIN
IC – Wal HERON / Bill OCKLESHAW / Ern AURISH / Owen MURTAGH
Needs more Daniel Archer.

Of the "dark" horses, Acres, Longer, McCartin or Wright could bolt out of the stalls.
Of the others with an outside chance, you could mount a case that Membrey, Lee, Templeton or Goddard might buck the trend.
From 2 to 5 of these will likely play so it's a pretty open field. My money's on Membrey, and Templeton to be the easy money bets....
....but the real surprises, Bruce for the dark horse and the White knight is obviously Spencer.

Jayden and Jarryd are weird names now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't really want to leave him out TBH. But can provide some spark late in the game!

Honestly at this stage he's a starting 21 for me, guys like Wright would go sub ahead of him. He's at the stage now where he's a real player that can accumulate 20+ possies most game and provide valuable service of half back, the wing or in the midfield, he's developed so much in 47 games and I think would counter all of the work we've done to make him a sub, I think he's really cemented himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back