Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Dempster ~ Delaney ~ Geary [Tall backs:Roberton, Goddard, Simpkin]
HB: Savage ~ Fisher ~ Webster [Medium backs: Wright, Gilbert]
RK: Hickey ~ Steven ~ Armitage [Rucks: Longer, Pierce, Holmes]
C: Montagna ~ Dunstan ~ Newnes [Mids: Curren, Saunders, McKenzie, Sinclair]
HF: Billings ~ Riewoldt ~ Templeton [Small fwds: Saad, Minch, Schneider]
FF: Lonie ~ Bruce ~ Membrey [Tall fwds: White, McCartin; Med fwds: Lee, Markworth, Payne]
I/C: Weller, Ross, Acres, Shenton [Utilities: Ray, Murdoch]

So updating my analysis of the most likely, based on media, etc, especially in the light of the intraclub, I think we'll go:

FB: Dempster ~ Delaney ~ Geary [Tall backs: Roberton, Goddard, Simpkin]
HB: Savage ~ Fisher ~ Webster [Medium backs: Wright, Gilbert]
RK: Hickey ~ Steven ~ Armitage [Rucks: Longer, Pierce, Holmes]
C: Montagna ~ Dunstan ~ Newnes [Mids: Curren, Saunders, McKenzie, Sinclair]
HF: Billings ~ Riewoldt ~ Templeton [Small fwds: Lonie, Minch, Schneider]
FF: Saad ~ Lee ~ Membrey [Tall fwds: White, McCartin; Med fwds: Bruce, Markworth, Payne]
I/C: Weller, Ross, Acres, Shenton [Utilities: Ray, Murdoch]

Basically, taken Lonie out for Saad, and Bruce for Lee. The big question is then the ruck, as I don't like using Lee's soldiers like that. But hey.

While I agree with the idea of Saad being in our best 22, do we have anyone on the LTI that would see him be available for round 1?

Gilbert maybe, but they are hoping he could actually play in round 1 so for that to turn into an 8 week injury seems a little much.

Saad beats Lonie any day. Just too much class there. Don't write him off so early. I like your framework idea, but it doesn't describe the bench strategy - so just share that as well.

Lee or White - I would prefer White at least earlier.

Also, you are suggesting a 1 ruck option of Hickey with lee as backup?

I have high hopes for young Lonie but he's about 50 kgs wet and was still in a moon boot a few weeks ago. If he had the stamina to play four quarters of footy from round one he is an incredible natural athlete.

Siposs. Fully expecting Saad to be there, all things being equal and form pending.
I am not totally sure of this but IIRC when you put a player on the LTI they must stay there for 8 weeks, I am not a big wrap for Siposs but if he is fit before then it's a bit unfair to ask him to sit out of games when he is fighting for a contract for next season.

While I agree with the idea of Saad being in our best 22, do we have anyone on the LTI that would see him be available for round 1?

Gilbert maybe, but they are hoping he could actually play in round 1 so for that to turn into an 8 week injury seems a little much.

We do have Sipposs gone till mid season. Put him on LTI.

Post mid season 1 rookie can be elevated to play H&A without the LTI requirement.

I am a big Farren Ray fan, think he has surprised on the upside since his arrival in 09 and appreciate everything he has done for the Saints but.........

I just don't see a good reason to give Ray senior footy exposure this year unless we are decimated by injuries. He is still probably in our best 22 (only just) but think it is pointless playing him if he is keeping one of Acres, Webster, McKenzie, Murdoch etc out of the side. Unfortunately his suspect kicking gets amplified in a young side where there are going to be a lot of turnovers already as the inexperienced kids adapt to AFL pressure. We can't have senior blokes turning it over regularly as well.

Like your rationale, TLE. Just came to different conclusions.

Versatility is worth double points - particularly when you can go forward, back or in the ruck. Like the idea of run over the extra ruck, but as you said it leaves us vulnerable to in-game injury, as does a small-ish forward line. So Bruce just over Roberton, but really glad Robbo's back. Gilbert would be ahead of both if fit.

Liked Lee's game but loved seeing White take a big mark and show some tricks. (Agree it's a close call and 2cms taller helps a bit too.)

You left Shenton out of the half-back equation. He was excellent I thought, and again adds versatility.

B: Jarryn Geary, Luke Delaney, Sean Dempster
HB: Cam Shenton, Sam Fisher, Shane Savage,
C: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Jimmy Webster
HF: Jack Billings, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Ahmed Saad, Spencer White, Tim Membrey
R: Tom Hickey, Jack Steven, Jack Newnes
I/C: Mav Weller, Seb Ross, Eli Templeton, Josh Bruce
Emerg: Billy Longer, Tom Curren, Dylan Roberton

Assuming Hickey and Steven ready
I wouldn't think Armo has the wheels for the wing, nor would I want him out of the engine room.

FB: Dempster ~ Bruce ~ Geary
HB: Shenton ~ Goddard ~ Fisher
CR: Webster ~ Ross ~ Templeton
HF: Saad* ~ Riewoldt ~ Billings
FF: Lonie ~ White ~ Holmes
RK: Hickey ~ Armitage ~ Dunstan
IC: Montagna Weller Steven Murdoch

My prejudices are showing... :D

ROUND 1 vs. GWS
B: Dempster Delaney Bruce
HB: Webster Fisher Savage
C: Steven Dunstan Montagna
HF: Billings Riewoldt Templeton
F: Membrey Lee Curren
R: Longer Armitage Weller
I: Geary Newnes Saunders Acres
E: Ray, Wright, Ross
  • Unavailable (likely): Hickey, Murdoch, Gilbert, Siposs
  • Can't see us having a LTI upgrade for Saad, Sinclair or Schneider. I could see us upgrading Holmes though if Longer struggles or gets injured early in the season and Hickey isn't right.
  • Flexibility/Rotations: are key in the game now. Having such a young side, I would look towards increasing the tank of the team, which means resting players up forward, and have those who can rotate into the middle from either the forward or backline. For us, a goal sneak is not as important as being able to run out a whole game, with our team not having any lapses.
  • This is particularly the point playing GWS, where they have a midfield loaded with talent.
Smalls:
  • Smaller mids/forwards: We know Curren, Templeton, Billings, Montagna, Steven and Saunders can all fulfil this role to an extent.
  • Smaller mids/defenders: Geary, Newnes, Acres, Webster, Savage.
  • Pure inside mids: Armitage, Dunstan, Weller.
  • Dempster and Membrey can also spend a little time in the middle but mainly fulfil their roles (3rd man up, 3rd tall fwd).
Talls:
  • Leaves us with Longer, Riewoldt, Lee, Delaney, Bruce, Fisher.
  • Of all those talls, only Longer and Delaney are somewhat slow. Our three taller forwards (Riewoldt, Lee and Membrey) are all athletic, which with our resting mids, I think makes a very dangerous and unpredictable forward line due to higher on ground rotation (rather than using the bench)
  • Bruce will be important for us. Delaney to take Cameron, Fisher on Tomlinson, Bruce to take the resting ruck and Mumford. He is tall and somewhat athletic so should be able to match whoever he plays on.

I wouldn't think Armo has the wheels for the wing, nor would I want him out of the engine room.
If that's all you're worried about I'll defer to your greater experience in such matters.
Tweak away.

The midfield roles seem to focus these days on whether you're an inside or outside mid, run-with, etc. The wingers need to cover ground and have both attacking and defensive skills, and as you hinted at, speed is a real asset there.

Curious to know who people consider to be our best "centreman" now that Lenny's moved on.
Dunstan and Armitage get most punters' votes there. I noticed Daddy_Barrels, you had Newnes in that central role in a recent draft-22 and I like the sound of that?

One of my favourite goals of last year was Dunstan's side-step from the left half-forward flank, running into the guts and slotting it with his left. Would love to see more of him on a flank, particularly if we have someone like Weller in a tagging role.

Last edited:
Curious to know who people consider to be our best "centreman" now that Lenny's moved on.
Dunstan and Armitage get most punters' votes there. I noticed Daddy_Barrels, you had Newnes in that central role in a recent draft-22 and I like the sound of that?

I think Armo is our best bash-and-crash clearance midfielder. Steven, Dunstan, Weller and Ross will be the others in the engine room IMO. Newnes will certainly be more prominent but I don't think his strength is digging the ball out of a pack - I'd like to see him primarily on the outside using his endurance and skills to rack up possessions and deliver to CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did this 2 or 3 months ago but couldn't find it, but here's my current team -

FB : Dempster Delaney Geary
B : Savage Fisher Acres
C : Newnes Dunstan Montagna
HF : Billings Riewoldt Templeton
F : Membery Lee Saad

Foll: Hickey Steven Armitage

Int: Weller Ross Ray
Sub: Lonie

E: Bruce Roberton Webster

Few points;

- Hickey probably not as good as Longer in the ruck, but offers so much more around the ground. Still got hope for Longer to become a good player but don't think he's quite offering enough yet

- I think Richo would prefer Bruce in the team than Lee and he might very well find a spot for him, however he seems intent on Lee pinch hitting in the ruck and Bruce can't do that.

- I have the feeling Webster may be in the rehab group at the moment? Probably ready for round 1 and I know AR rates him so if he feels he's fit, may come in for Acres. Which does sadden me because I'm really excited about Acres.

- Unsure why some are leaving Ross out of B22 atm, think he'll at least be given a few weeks.

- Saad doesn't have me convinced. But just get the feeling he plays rd 1 if we somehow get him on to the main list. Gilbert LTI maybe? Sippos?

- Wright is another who wouldn't surprise if played rd 1. He still lacks confidence with ball in hand but think he could be a good player. Does need games.

- On draft night McKenzie was spoken as the most likely to play rd 1, however didn't play Challenge 1, supposedly not injured? Is he out of favour.

- Like most of us, I want to see big Spence playing. However pre-draft question marks were around his tank and that still seems to be the case.

- it was really hard to put together a team but we have to remember this will likely be a long season.

- Likely to bring McCartin/Goddard in later in the season for a taste I think. They'll need a few years.

- People please stop picking Curren. He's no good as that defensive forward as he never looks likely to score and he can't find the footy. It's either him or Weller, who is a much better option.

Shenton - Another who is likely to play plenty of games this year.

Billings - If his hammy is worse than expected, he drops out, and likely see a shuffle of Lonie/Bruce to take his spot.

Now that Jack Billings is confirmed as a month-off proposition, and as it's the same hammy as last year they're likely to be cautious with him, I'd say one of either Lonie or an upgraded Saad is a lock for Round 1... And we know Jimmy Webster is probably still out...

I'd like to see it a bit different, but I reckon they'll go a touch conservative and:

FB: Dempster ~ Delaney ~ Geary
HB: Savage ~ Fisher ~ Shenton
CR: Newnes ~ Weller ~ Montagna
HF: Templeton ~ Riewoldt ~ Lee
FF: Bruce ~ Membrey ~ Lonie
RK: Longer ~ Armitage ~ Steven
IC: Ray Ross Dunstan
Sub: Acres

~ And playing @ Sandy: ~

FB: Roberton ~ Simpkin ~ Wright
HB: XXXX ~ Goddard ~ McKenzie
CR: Sinclair ~ XXXX ~ Saunders
HF: Payne ~ McCartin ~ XXXX
FF: Saad ~ White ~ Pierce
RK: Holmes ~ Curren ~ Minchington

~ And unavailable; ~

Hickey (in for - or with - Billy IF he's fit)
Gilbert
Siposs
Webster
Billings
Murdoch
Markworth?

Last edited:
Hickey unavailable when he is fine to play this week..

Makes sense.

Wouldn't risk him unless the track in Morwell is excellent, even then I think cotton wool him.

I am a big Farren Ray fan, think he has surprised on the upside since his arrival in 09 and appreciate everything he has done for the Saints but.........

I just don't see a good reason to give Ray senior footy exposure this year unless we are decimated by injuries. He is still probably in our best 22 (only just) but think it is pointless playing him if he is keeping one of Acres, Webster, McKenzie, Murdoch etc out of the side. Unfortunately his suspect kicking gets amplified in a young side where there are going to be a lot of turnovers already as the inexperienced kids adapt to AFL pressure. We can't have senior blokes turning it over regularly as well.

Because we would be tanking and gifting games to kids, Melbourne style.
Is a good reason in my books.

I did this 2 or 3 months ago but couldn't find it, but here's my current team -

FB : Dempster Delaney Geary
B : Savage Fisher Acres
C : Newnes Dunstan Montagna
HF : Billings Riewoldt Templeton
F : Membery Lee Saad

Foll: Hickey Steven Armitage

Int: Weller Ross Ray
Sub: Lonie

E: Bruce Roberton Webster

Few points;

- Hickey probably not as good as Longer in the ruck, but offers so much more around the ground. Still got hope for Longer to become a good player but don't think he's quite offering enough yet

- I think Richo would prefer Bruce in the team than Lee and he might very well find a spot for him, however he seems intent on Lee pinch hitting in the ruck and Bruce can't do that.

- I have the feeling Webster may be in the rehab group at the moment? Probably ready for round 1 and I know AR rates him so if he feels he's fit, may come in for Acres. Which does sadden me because I'm really excited about Acres.

- Unsure why some are leaving Ross out of B22 atm, think he'll at least be given a few weeks.

- Saad doesn't have me convinced. But just get the feeling he plays rd 1 if we somehow get him on to the main list. Gilbert LTI maybe? Sippos?

- Wright is another who wouldn't surprise if played rd 1. He still lacks confidence with ball in hand but think he could be a good player. Does need games.

- On draft night McKenzie was spoken as the most likely to play rd 1, however didn't play Challenge 1, supposedly not injured? Is he out of favour.

- Like most of us, I want to see big Spence playing. However pre-draft question marks were around his tank and that still seems to be the case.

- it was really hard to put together a team but we have to remember this will likely be a long season.

- Likely to bring McCartin/Goddard in later in the season for a taste I think. They'll need a few years.

- People please stop picking Curren. He's no good as that defensive forward as he never looks likely to score and he can't find the footy. It's either him or Weller, who is a much better option.

Shenton - Another who is likely to play plenty of games this year.

Billings - If his hammy is worse than expected, he drops out, and likely see a shuffle of Lonie/Bruce to take his spot.
Don't be saddened about Webster or Acres. Both play. I'm not even sure Webster is in any discussion. Think he's now first dozen or so.

If there's truth to the rumours that Savage, Roberton and Ray all did hamstrings today, and Hickey, Dunstan and Billings don't come up fully in time, and Roo still needs time (understandably), where does it leave us for round 1?

FB: Geary ~ Delaney ~ Dempster
Business as usual in the back three.

HB: Shenton ~ Fisher ~ Newnes
Newnes drops back onto a back flank to replace Savage.

CR: Montagna ~ Weller ~ Templeton
Eli has been pretty impressive as a 'true' wingman, and gets his chance.

HF: Membrey ~ McCartin ~ Lee
We need a proper focal point at CHF, and Paddy showed he had a genuine tank in the Brissie game.

FF: Lonie ~ White ~ Bruce
Spencaa has a long way to go, but if Bruce is to be a ruck/fwd we need a proper forward as well. Lonie is impressive

RK: Longer ~ Armitage ~ Steven
Billy is raw still, but will give us presence.

IC: Ross ~ Saunders ~ Curren
Sub: Acres​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back