Discussion Round 1 Best 22

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not hard to have your best pre-season at the club when it is your first full one in three years at the club.

People forget that with Spence I think sometimes.

I certainly don't. He's coming from a very poor junior fitness base and missing pre seasons doesn't help. But we see other young players miss pre seasons and still get to a good level in terms of fitness. Spence may night have the hunger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I certainly don't. He's coming from a very poor junior fitness base and missing pre seasons doesn't help. But we see other young players miss pre seasons and still get to a good level in terms of fitness. Spence may night have the hunger.

KPP always take time and I don't see how Spence is any different to that.

Has missed two pre-seasons after wrist surgery and also has asthma I think? That perhaps is playing a part in his slow fitness base development as well.

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
KPP always take time and I don't see how Spence is any different to that.

Has missed two pre-seasons after wrist surgery and also has asthma I think? That perhaps is playing a part in his slow fitness base development as well.

Everything we hear coming out of the club is he lacks repeat efforts and cannot run with his defender which means his fitness, desire, or both are lacking. Being a kpp new recruit is no different to any other new recruit when it comes to those issues he needs to address.

Everything we hear coming out of the club is he lacks repeat efforts and cannot run with his defender which means his fitness, desire, or both are lacking. Being a kpp new recruit is no different to any other new recruit when it comes to those issues he needs to address.

But he can jump on a defenders head, and is a lovely kick, set shot and in the run.

I reckon Richo's had a conversation with Spence and said "look you've seen what happens when we try and hit a chest, the only way you're going to get a kick is from a chase down tackle". That's really the only reason I can think of why defensive pressure would be so important.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Would be very hard to see Spencer get a gig round 1 after being non-existent in the NAB Challenge. You'd have to say that there is a high possibility that the forward set up would be:

HF: Membrey Riewoldt Templeton
F: Bruce McCartin Lonie

3 talls, 2 smalls & 1 medium size beast, I wouldn't be unhappy with that :thumbsu:

You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
Water maybe, but beer is a whole different story
enhanced-buzz-11905-1327277031-65.jpg
:p

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
McCartin, Sinclair and Membrey to debut for the Saints in Round 1 IMO ... (Oh, and Lonie naturally)
Bruce to be the back-up ruckman

B: Geary – Delaney – Roberton
HB: Dempster – Fisher – Savage
C: Saad – Armitage - Newnes
HF: Dunstan – Riewoldt - Billings
FF: McCartin – Bruce – Lonie
R: Hickey - Steven - Weller
IC: Saunders - Acres - Membrey - Sinclair
Emerg: Longer - Shenton - Templeton

Last edited:
McCartin, Sinclair and Membrey to debut for the Saints in Round 1 IMO ...
Bruce to be the back-up ruckman

B: Geary – Delaney – Roberton
HB: Dempster – Fisher – Savage
C: Saad – Armitage - Newnes
HF: Dunstan – Riewoldt - Billings
FF: McCartin – Bruce – Lonie
R: Hickey - Steven - Weller
IC: Saunders - Acres - Membrey - Sinclair
Emerg: Longer - Shenton - Templeton

I reckon Lonie is more low-fuss anyway. o_O

I reckon Richo's had a conversation with Spence and said "look you've seen what happens when we try and hit a chest, the only way you're going to get a kick is from a chase down tackle". That's really the only reason I can think of why defensive pressure would be so important.

I shouldn't laugh, but you're right. I've seen better skills by hand and foot at half time at the WAFL

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would love this forward set up:

HF: Saad/Templeton, Riewoldt, Billings
F: Lonie, Bruce, Membery

We aren't going to get the ball in their a whole lot, so when we do lets keep it in there.

Bruce loves a contest and is a work horse, Membery is a physical beast, Lonie a real creative type and looks to have great defensive pressure as seen on the wing vs Hawks, Billings is too classy to keep out and both Templeton and Saad are pressure kings and can play wing so one of them to get a gig; maybe both if Billings isn't fit.

Let Paddy gain confidence in VFL like Billings did last year and have Spence and Lee compete for Membery and Bruce's spot. Would also love to see the Bull Murdoch on a flank later in the season.

Thoughts?

I was at the Frankston game. Billings was just a class above. I think it was 4 goals in the last quarter as well. I think he took a contested grab over Longer as well.

He shouldn't play VFL this year.
Fixed.

Sorry, was on my phone, so didn't have the patience to be more specific in my typing. Billings wasn't "made to earn it" by playing in the VFL, as skman suggested - he came straight in. He only played those few VFL games as part of conditioning after injury. Apologies for not being clear - I've had gastro for the last three days, along with the fam, and so have had my own fitness setbacks going into round 1. ;)

(Daddy, that is NOT an invite for you to put a vomit gif up here - if you care, don't do it to me, man...)

I still agree with skman's overall setup though. Essentially, Bruce is there right now as the second-tall/pinch-ruck. Membrey seems likely to take the third tall spot. No room in the forward line for a FOURTH tall, so Lee, White, and Paddy need to just wait and see.

Sorry, was on my phone, so didn't have the patience to be more specific in my typing. Billings wasn't "made to earn it" by playing in the VFL, as skman suggested - he came straight in. He only played those few VFL games as part of conditioning after injury. Apologies for not being clear - I've had gastro for the last three days, along with the fam, and so have had my own fitness setbacks going into round 1. ;)

(Daddy, that is NOT an invite for you to put a vomit gif up here - if you care, don't do it to me, man...)

I still agree with skman's overall setup though. Essentially, Bruce is there right now as the second-tall/pinch-ruck. Membrey seems likely to take the third tall spot. No room in the forward line for a FOURTH tall, so Lee, White, and Paddy need to just wait and see.
:D

Back