Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Anyone want to do a McCartin one of these?

FB: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Savage Fisher Webster
C: Acres Steven Newnes Montagna Roo Membrey Minchington Billings
HF:
FF: McCartin
R:Hickey Armitage Dunstan
I:Longer Wright Weller Templeton

:D:D:D:D:D:D

FB: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Savage Fisher Webster
C: Acres Steven Newnes
HF: Montagna Roo Membrey
FF: Minchington McCartin Billings
R:Hickey Armitage Dunstan
I:Longer Wright Weller Templeton

Probably more something like this.

No pressure McCartin , you aren't even picked yet but we expect you to be best 22.

Personally I think they'll try Bruce as the 2nd forward, reflief ruck.
Don't forget the whole Riewoldt replacement thing. Again, no pressure.

walshystkfc

Debutant
Nov 24, 2014
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alrighty so i'm going with this (saying we get McKernan Membrey as Free Agents + McCartin,Bullen-Neal, Marchbank and Lonie

B-Dempster Delaney Gilbert

HB-Savage Fisher Webster

C- Acres Dunstan Billings

HF- Neal-Bullen Riewoldt Montagna

F- Templeton Lee McCartin/Membrey

Foll- Hickey Newnes Armitage

Int- Wright, Longer, Membrey/McCartin, Weller

Winners Only

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2003
AFL Club
GWS
McCartin wont play many games next year - AR has already said the recruits will be eased it. No expectations.

Draft of McCartin, Neal-Bullen, Dan McKenzie and Lonie (Twomey)...

'Ones'
FB: Geary - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Webster - Fisher - Savage
CR: Newnes - Armitage - Montagna
HF: Billings - Riewoldt - Weller
FF: Membrey - Bruce - Hickey
RK: Longer - Dunstan - Steven
Int: Ray - Wright - Templeton
Sub: Markworth

'Ressies'
FB: Roberton - Simpkin - XXXX
HB: McKenzie - Gilbert* - Shenton
CR: Acres - Ross - Murdoch
HF: Siposs - White - Saunders
FF: Schneider - McCartin - Pierce
RK: Holmes - Minchington - Curren
Int: Neal-Bullen - Lonie
* still injured

As per the above, I really hope one of the mids gets bumped for McDonald, or that we otherwise grab a key defensive prospect somewhere (McLaren for example), otherwise it will be right back to 2012 for us...

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
As per the above, I really hope one of the mids gets bumped for McDonald, or that we otherwise grab a key defensive prospect somewhere (McLaren for example), otherwise it will be right back to 2012 for us...

I agree that is would be good to pick up a key defender in the draft, but I don't think we're in desperate need of one for 2015. I'd be thrilled if Durdin made it to pick 21, and wouldn't mind if we drafted Marchbank there but otherwise I think it'd be someone like Ramsey/Keitel with 41.

For next season, we have Delaney, Bruce, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Simpkin who can all play tall.

As for the thread topic, it's very hard to say before the draft. We could take Petracca and snare another readymade mid or two or we could take McCartin, another project tall and a couple of lanky underdeveloped players like Langford/Menadue.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Draft of McCartin, Neal-Bullen, Dan McKenzie and Lonie (Twomey)...

'Ones'
FB: Geary - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Webster - Fisher - Savage
CR: Newnes - Armitage - Montagna
HF: Billings - Riewoldt - Weller
FF: Membrey - Bruce - Hickey
RK: Longer - Dunstan - Steven
Int: Ray - Wright - Templeton
Sub: Markworth

'Ressies'
FB: Roberton - Simpkin - XXXX
HB: McKenzie - Gilbert* - Shenton
CR: Acres - Ross - Murdoch
HF: Siposs - White - Saunders
FF: Schneider - McCartin - Pierce
RK: Holmes - Minchington - Curren
Int: Neal-Bullen - Lonie
* still injured

Just on your reserves side... How bloody awesome is that side gojng be when you add in Clint Jones, TDL, Mitch Brown, Adam Cockie, Myke Cook, Elliot LeGrice & Kenny Ong into it! Going to be very strong VFL team.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Doubt any of the draftees will be lining up in round one. They're all an outside chance but I'd probably rather see McCartin and Goddard get used to senior footy in the VFL, Lonie to put on some size and McKenzie to earn a spot with consistent numbers. At a glance McKenzie looks the most AFL ready.

With everyone fit and firing

B: Dempster, Delaney, Wright
HB: Fisher, Bruce, Webster
C: Montagna, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Membrey, Riewoldt, Billings
F: Templeton, White, Lee

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Acres, Gilbert, Ross, Weller

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would love to see billings acres and dunstan all play 20+ games next year.

Goddard and McCartin 4-7 games just to give them a taste.

Lonie and templeton 10-12 each

and white 15+ games, I think his ready!

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am struggling to envisage what we do with Lee, particularly if Reiwoldt is playing for another 2+ years and we have plans to give Bruce a go forward. Dempster and Fisher will be gone at the end of the year, is it worth trying him as a third man up defender? He did play some good footy down back in the WAFL, this does not automatically have to be another Maister disaster down back scenario. I reckon he could go alright down there and it would suit our needs beyond this year.

Just on your reserves side... How bloody awesome is that side gojng be when you add in Clint Jones, TDL, Mitch Brown, Adam Cockie, Myke Cook, Elliot LeGrice & Kenny Ong into it! Going to be very strong VFL team.
And now Hughy Goddard... Before we even hit the Rookie Draft, here's Sandy:

FB: Simpkin - Le Grice - Shenton
HB: Gilbert* - Goddard - Roberton
CR: Cook - Ross - Acres
HF: Markworth - White* - Ong
FF: Dennis-Lane - McCartin - Brown
RK: Holmes - Cockie - Jones
Int: Lee* - Schneider - Siposs - Pierce - Minchington - Curren* - Murdoch - Saunders - Lonie - McKenzie

* assuming they're not in the Seniors

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not sure MacCartin and Goddard will be right to go round 1, but I think they will be in our best side come the end of the year.

Wright Delaney Goddard
Webster Bruce Fisher
Acres Dunstan Newnes
Membrey Riewoldt Billings
White McCartin Templeton
Hickey Armitage Steven

Weller,Savage, Gilbert, Montagna, Geary, Dempster

I am struggling to envisage what we do with Lee, particularly if Reiwoldt is playing for another 2+ years and we have plans to give Bruce a go forward. Dempster and Fisher will be gone at the end of the year, is it worth trying him as a third man up defender? He did play some good footy down back in the WAFL, this does not automatically have to be another Maister disaster down back scenario. I reckon he could go alright down there and it would suit our needs beyond this year.

competitive pressure,
The player playing the best gets a gig.
No pressure at all guys. But if you want a game...........

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The new draftees, particularly because they are KPP won't likely play straight up

The team in r1 will be different to r11 and again in r20

Initially

Fisher..... Delaney...... Geary
Dempster...... Gilbert... Webster
Ray......... Armitage ..... Newnes
Billings ...... Bruce ..... Montagna
Templeton.... Riewoldt.... Membrey

Hickey...... Weller ........ Steven

Dunstan ..... Ross ....... Savage ..... Acres

Murdoch ...... Wright ..... Shenton

Sandy (Huddo must be licking his lips)

Simpkin ....... Le Grice* ...... Wright
Roberton ....... Goddard ...... Shenton
Markworth ...... Murdoch....... Cook*
Minchington ...... Lee ....... Dennis-Lane*
White...............McCartin...... Schnieder

Longer .......... Cockie* ........ Curran

McKenzie ...... Holmes ...... Siposs ..... Saunders

Shakalis ...... Ong ...... Noone

Reserves
Lonie, Pierce, Baker Thomas,

AuntieBarrels

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hoping that our team will begin to look something like this over the next couple of years
FB: Geary Delaney Gilbert/Dempster(If he's still around)
HB: Wright Goddard McKenzie
C: Riewoldt Newnes Savage
HF: Billings White Membrey
F: Lonie McCartin Markworth/Saunders
Foll: Hickey Steven Dunstan

INT: Webster, Weller, Armitage, SUB: Templeton

And keep in mind the top midfielders we will draft over the next couple of years. I'm excited

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hoping that our team will begin to look something like this over the next couple of years
FB: Geary Delaney Gilbert/Dempster(If he's still around)
HB: Wright Goddard McKenzie
C: Riewoldt Newnes Savage
HF: Billings White Membrey
F: Lonie McCartin Markworth/Saunders
Foll: Hickey Steven Dunstan

INT: Webster, Weller, Armitage, SUB: Templeton

And keep in mind the top midfielders we will draft over the next couple of years. I'm excited

Like the look of that team a lot. Only changes I would make would be to bring in Acres at the expense of Savage, and Montagna for Weller. Wright & Geary to share tagging/back pocket responsibilities. Also, would probably have to play a second ruck which could push Markworth or Membrey out, although it would be great to fit them both.

Would love love love to see the club play Reiwoldt on the wing for a couple of years. Beyond this year, we are really going to miss the third man up intercept marks in the backline that Fisher & Dempster have provided us. If Reiwoldt was given licence to run all over the ground the amount of marks he would take pushing back into the backline would be ridiculous. Would also allow our forward line to prepare for life after Reiwoldt.

Would be stoked if Richo pursued this idea, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Saint Luke

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Like the look of that team a lot. Only changes I would make would be to bring in Acres at the expense of Savage, and Montagna for Weller. Wright & Geary to share tagging/back pocket responsibilities. Also, would probably have to play a second ruck which could push Markworth or Membrey out, although it would be great to fit them both.

Would love love love to see the club play Reiwoldt on the wing for a couple of years. Beyond this year, we are really going to miss the third man up intercept marks in the backline that Fisher & Dempster have provided us. If Reiwoldt was given licence to run all over the ground the amount of marks he would take pushing back into the backline would be ridiculous. Would also allow our forward line to prepare for life after Reiwoldt.

Would be stoked if Richo pursued this idea, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

These guys don't get enough credit from anyone. The most under siege forward line in the entire AFL and they do a damn solid job of taking marks they have no right to take sometimes. Super courageous and both have very good/great skills the majority of the time. Dempster can shank a kick every once in a while, but for the most part is still a fantastic defender.

It's a perspective wooden spoon teams really only see. Dempster/Fisher would be great in a lot of clubs and would get a lot of credit for it.

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
I'll be happy if Goddard and McCartin can play between 4-7 games this year. Anything more will be a bonus. I think we might see a bit of McKenzie throughout the year though.

Lonie is a hard one to guess, just because his small doesn't mean he can't play a number of games - but who knows.

I'm really excited at seeing Billings, Dunstan and especially Acres playing 15+ games.

Chalk em up

Rookie
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
B Savage Delany Dempster
HB Fisher Bruce Webster
C Montagna Steven Newnes
HF Billings Reiwoldt Membrey
F Templeton McCartin White
R Hickey Armitage Dunstan
Int -Acres,Weller,Longer,Geary
Emeg- Ross,Gilbert,Wright
Draft picks- Goddard,Mckenzie,Lonie
If Mccartin is ready to go round 1 surely he plays ahead of Lee... Goddard is a lock at some point surely when Fisher goes down tearing he's 16th hammy get games into these boys early!
Gilbert an Bruce fighting for Chb spot...

Back