Preview Round 1: Carlton V Richmond @ MCG, 02/04/15, 7.20pm AEST. (FREE LIKES!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should be sacked for that. I child could come up with a better quality preview

Yeah, it's a shocker. Perhaps its part of a wider AFL scheme to trick Carlton fans into thinking they have a chance (so they show up for the game and boost the attendance?) :p

I believe Brick McLean is looking for work, even he could probably do a better job than this bloke.

Apparently Gibbs and Warnock arent 100% going to play, both have shoulder issues. Gibbs is most likely going to play, joined the main group today at training, Warnock will have to prove his fitness over the next two days.

Apparently Gibbs and Warnock arent 100% going to play, both have shoulder issues. Gibbs is most likely going to play, joined the main group today at training, Warnock will have to prove his fitness over the next two days.
Warnock is worse than cam wood

Sorry guys, but we can't win this one. Mick Malthouse says the Blues are going undefeated this year all the way to the flag. Don't shoot the messenger.
Cant say we werent warned

Aaaaggh!
I love / hate the long build up to this game. Their best players match up well with ours and I've had 3 heart attacks during the Carlton comebacks over the last few years.
We should win. Part of me is assuming a win.
But I'll be angsty till it's impossible to lose.
Thankfully, a lot of AEDs at the G. Hopefully I won't need one.

Let's be honest here, even though Richmond have a better list and should smash Carlton, we all have that deep feeling inside that it won't be a thrashing and that it will be close one like usual.

We barely ever smashed Carlton in our entire history, let alone the last few years.

I think a high scoring affair with Richmond pulling away late by about 15 points sounds about right.

Bulldogs however.... :D

Only 3, three, free, drei, tres,sun days to go...woo hoo

Dimma says the boys are primed ready to go...if Dimma's happy then I'm happy
Apart from Ian Astbury, we have pretty much a full squad to choose from

Our list has matured and has got decent game time into the bulk of the playing group

Let's go Tigers...smash the blue scum

69point victory coming up....

Sorry guys, but we can't win this one. Mick Malthouse says the Blues are going undefeated this year all the way to the flag. Don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks for ruining the build up Darth...couldn't you have kept that info to after the game?
So...the Game has already been decided so What's the point now?

Just might as well Play the kids Dimma!

I literally cannot be confident even if i try and convince myself we should win this game. Even though i believe what troubled us most about them, their small forwards and speed, is less of an issue. I still think the mental issues linger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I literally cannot be confident even if i try and convince myself we should win this game. Even though i believe what troubled us most about them, their small forwards and speed, is less of an issue. I still think the mental issues linger.
Deep down in the pit of your guts you know we will smash them...but you're superstitious and you don't want to jinx us :cool:

Deep down in the pit of your guts you know we will smash them...but you're superstitious and you don't want to jinx us :cool:

Deep down in my nads i know its going to be close and im going to come damn close to going into cardiac arrest :(

Here is my team for the game.
B: Grimes Rance Batchelor
HB: Vlastuin Chaplin Houli
C: McIntosh Martin Ellis
HF: Deledio Vickery Edwards
F: Morris Riewoldt Griffiths
R: Maric Miles Cotchin
I/C: Grigg Conca Hunt
S: Petterd

That was difficult. :D

Yep, I've gone the three forward set up. I think it can work. Stick Vickery in the goal square, push Griffiths higher up the ground and let Jack roam in between. Jack is smart enough to get himself involved in the play, and hopefully Griffiths has brought up his aerobic base to a level where he can be damaging down the wings. I am still on the Vickery train. I thought he showed some good signs at NAB level and was a touch unlucky with a lot of players not honoring his leads. I'm backing him in for a big year.

Petterd as sub simply due to his versatility. Conca will be integral to our first half. If we are going to beat Carlton, it's going to have to start in the midfield and the little things he does is so underrated. Hunt is a spanner in the works for Carlton who can be extremely damaging for us if used correctly. McIntosh is a possibility for sub, but he probably has the fitness base to run out a whole game and that run is integral, especially against Carlton.

In terms of match-ups, Grigg to Murphy, Ellis to Gibbs. Put Cotchin head to head with Judd. Morris obviously goes straight to Yarran, but I'm slightly concerned that if Yarran puts on the after-burners, he'll leave Morris in the dust. That said, I'm hoping Morris will crack a few of his ribs before he can warm up.

Just a few honourable mentions.

Lloyd. I tried so hard to get Lloyd into this team as sub and if I had it my way, he'd be straight in for Morris, but knowing Damien he might have to wait a few weeks to get a crack. Lloyd has shown that you don't need pace to be an AFL standard small forward and with his excellent position making, overhead marking and intelligence, he is guaranteed to make some sort of impact even as a sub.

Elton. I can't see us playing Elton and Chaplin together. Both are slow types who will be exposed by Yarran or Menzel if on the last line of defense. Grimes and Batchelor bring the best of both worlds given that they can play both small/tall and even with the height gap, Liam Jones shouldn't pose much of an issue to either of them.

Lennon for me will play seniors this year, but I'd just like him to built up some confidence in the VFL before he starts AFL. His form as a forward was promising in the NAB cup and he could be a real surprise packet this year.

Elton. I can't see us playing Elton and Chaplin together. Both are slow types who will be exposed by Yarran or Menzel if on the last line of defense. Grimes and Batchelor bring the best of both worlds given that they can play both small/tall and even with the height gap, Liam Jones shouldn't pose much of an issue to either of them.

Elton has 2.93sec 20 metre sprint and Chaplin has 2.95 second

B: Grimes, Chaplin, Batchelor
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Grigg
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Edwards
F: Morris, Reiwoldt, Lloyd
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Conca, Hunt, McIntosh

EMG: Lennon, Vickery, Lambert

I'd go with the 2 forwards set up, simply because we played our best footy with it last year and we have seen little indication over the last season or so that 3 forwards work for us. Added to this Ty simply doesn't deserve to play. I still think he is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be and can still be a more than handy player, but he looks almost disinterested at present and someone like Lloyd who has had a good pre-season with limited chances shouldn't be denied a game by Ty at the moment, hopefully the other bonus to not picking him round 1 would be a big kick up the arse to lift his game.

Grimes/Chappy/Batchelor need to work together to combat two of their talls. Due to height/play style none of them are ideally suited to playing on big key forwards but the ones Carlton have are no superstars so I have faith in these guys to get the job done especially with Rance taking their best.

Grigg starts on a wing, had an excellent pre-season and hopefully is back to playing the sort of footy he did in 2012, genuinely good player that year.

I agree with MR that Conca does a lot of little things that go unnoticed, especially defensively, and after spending a bit of time last year watching him closely that is certainly the case. Still definitely needs to improve though. Hunt seems like a good pick-up and had a good pre-season, adds to the midfield depth. McIntosh has come along in leaps and bounds and deserves a crack I think. Has so many good qualities that could make him a massive weapon if it comes off right, always exciting to see a debutant. Petterd definitely in my best 22 but his versatility makes him a great option to be the sub.

Already touched on Ty, Lennon was close and will play a lot of games but I'm not sure this is the game for him, young outside players are always going to be inconsistent, always going to chuck in bad games and take a while to have an influence, I think with the pressure of round 1 you just want as many big tough bodies as you can get. Lambert was close as well, not sure he did quite enough to dislodge any of the other guys. All of these 3 could potentially be named, which is a good thing and speaks of how hard it is to pick a team these days.

Here is my team for the game.
B: Grimes Rance Batchelor
HB: Vlastuin Chaplin Houli
C: McIntosh Martin Ellis
HF: Deledio Vickery Edwards
F: Morris Riewoldt Griffiths
R: Maric Miles Cotchin
I/C: Grigg Conca Hunt

That was difficult. :D

Yep, I've gone the three forward set up. I think it can work. Stick Vickery in the goal square, push Griffiths higher up the ground and let Jack roam in between. Jack is smart enough to get himself involved in the play, and hopefully Griffiths has brought up his aerobic base to a level where he can be damaging down the wings. I am still on the Vickery train. I thought he showed some good signs at NAB level and was a touch unlucky with a lot of players not honoring his leads. I'm backing him in for a big year.

Petterd as sub simply due to his versatility. Conca will be integral to our first half. If we are going to beat Carlton, it's going to have to start in the midfield and the little things he does is so underrated. Hunt is a spanner in the works for Carlton who can be extremely damaging for us if used correctly. McIntosh is a possibility for sub, but he probably has the fitness base to run out a whole game and that run is integral, especially against Carlton.

In terms of match-ups, Grigg to Murphy, Ellis to Gibbs. Put Cotchin head to head with Judd. Morris obviously goes straight to Yarran, but I'm slightly concerned that if Yarran puts on the after-burners, he'll leave Morris in the dust. That said, I'm hoping Morris will crack a few of his ribs before he can warm up.

Just a few honourable mentions.

Lloyd. I tried so hard to get Lloyd into this team as sub and if I had it my way, he'd be straight in for Morris, but knowing Damien he might have to wait a few weeks to get a crack. Lloyd has shown that you don't need pace to be an AFL standard small forward and with his excellent position making, overhead marking and intelligence, he is guaranteed to make some sort of impact even as a sub.

Lennon for me will play seniors this year, but I'd just like him to built up some confidence in the VFL before he starts AFL. His form as a forward was promising in the NAB cup and he could be a real surprise packet this year.
Great job, but we look a bit slow up forward for mine and I don't think Ellis is at his best as a tagger (despite the good job he did on Gibbs this time last year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back