Autopsy Round 1: Coburg V Richmond @ Piranha Park - Saturday 2:00pm, 18/04/15

Remove this Banner Ad

How could we beat them if our top ups are crap, our kids are undeveloped and the coach is crap?
we have afl experienced players who should be able to play better than they are playing we have better resources we are full time professionals ... oh hang on I just remembered we are RICHMOND we live for mediocrity no problems

I'm assuming you mean Castagna is a terrible kick therefore no upgrade?

Surely Short is worth a shot on the senior list?
Short will be in the mix. He has poise, speed and some of his passing was special.
Castagna has no composure but his run and spread is elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After having wandered home via the bottle shop, I thought about this game and my view changed.

Before full time I was happy enough with it; it'd be nice to win more in the VFL but development is way more important. But then I was thinking about the game as a whole and I'm pretty disappointed in that performance.

As I said earlier, our listed guys definitely did have good games compared to everyone else, but if I take the comparatively out of that only Lennon, and the draftees from this year can hold their heads up high.

Ty, regardless of the delivery inside 50, which wasn't great, should be getting way more involved. He was no good in the ruck and he did bugger all up the ground. In fact, when I was next to the bench, Ty was about to go on and the coach yelled out to him 'Swap with Hammer', which Ty nodded to. But then just before he ran out he yelled back, 'Can I swap with Reece instead?' and the coach said 'Yeah, alright'. So that happened and then Ty got to stay in the goal square for 10 minutes and did **** all, while Hammer was running around like a headless chook doing **** all around the ground. So he stays in the twos for me.

Foley was a step above in terms of decision making, composure and kicking, but he should be two steps above, because our VFL side is genuinely shithouse and Coburg were only marginally better. So he stays in the twos. As do:

Dea, who was awful
Elton, who got beaten too many times,
Thomas, who is still no good but at least he gave a s**t about it all
Arnot, who while he tries super hard simply doesn't get anywhere near enough for it and often turns it over when he does
McBean, needs to work on almost anything but with that said, he could be almost anything
Hammer, is Hammer.

Our draftees from this year were great, given that they are draftees. Every one of them was hard at it and putting in second efforts, even if their decision making let them down at times. Actually Castagna started well but really, really went missing for about half the game, but that's to be expected.

Lennon, Cellis, Short, Big Mac and Drummond. Anyone who was there would be happy with those guys. Especially Lennon, Cellis and Short.
You were definitely at the game BR as I was in the Tiger fwd pocket when the TV incident occurred
I didn't know what was going on, but overall TV was totally disinterested for most of the day and he was constantly arguing with umpires for free kicks
The bright side for me was your last paragraph mentioning the three young boys as their skills were are stand out and I was surprised they weren't all mentioned in the best in the match report
Great accurate work mate

What else is Corey Ellis good at apart from kicking it like a messiah?
I was impressed with his tank as he ran the game out all day
I just don't want to hear DH say they're working on his defensive side of the game as I was impressed with his attacking flair
Reece Mac was very very good early but weakened out of it , but tank and strength will get better with time

we were way to tall and way to slow and way to unskilled in every aspect of the game barlow and wall offer nothing have no idea why they are in the team clark would have to be the worst coach in any league of football , why cant we get a *ingg coach WHO CAN ACTUALLY COACH AND DEVELOP ???
When we were aligned with Coburg we were always top heavy, I thought this would be fixed with our own VFL side. It probably has a lot to do with young developing talls like McBean and Elton and being so reliant on Maric at AFL means back up is essential, hence Hammer. Throw in McKenzie and Vickery and you have 5 guys 6'5" or taller. I think most stand alone VFL teams would be able to pick one less tall and exploit this. I recall Collingwood's VFL team early days were pretty crap but they improved a lot very quickly. To those who say winning is a part of development - let's clarify - winning at AFL level is the aim of development. Players at VFL level should be looking to gain experience, develop skills, learn structures and play roles that will see them able to step in at AFL level and contribute and in fact improve our AFL team. So getting better quality VFL players actually would be short-sighted and take away from our development as less responsibility would fall to our young players. Having Thomas, Foley, Hampson, Vickery, Cachia and Dea ought to be enough experience to support the younger kids to ensure we balance being competitive with development.

I think one of the real challenges at present is to develop a team-first philosophy at VFL level when player turnover off season has been huge and let's face it many players are chasing their own AFL dream. At AFL level working hard on the 1%ers is huge. Players need to have that ingrained at VFL. As for Clark, I gather he's a mate of Dimma's. His job first and foremost is to develop players for AFL. Winning runs a distant second. If we see a steady stream of talented kids progressing through to AFL in next couple of years then he is doing his job. The likes of McBean and Elton, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Arnott, Drummond, Short, McDonough etc all need to really push hard for senior selection this year starting now so that we have a lot more options than the afore-mentioned vets.

When we were aligned with Coburg we were always top heavy, I thought this would be fixed with our own VFL side. It probably has a lot to do with young developing talls like McBean and Elton and being so reliant on Maric at AFL means back up is essential, hence Hammer. Throw in McKenzie and Vickery and you have 5 guys 6'5" or taller. I think most stand alone VFL teams would be able to pick one less tall and exploit this. I recall Collingwood's VFL team early days were pretty crap but they improved a lot very quickly. To those who say winning is a part of development - let's clarify - winning at AFL level is the aim of development. Players at VFL level should be looking to gain experience, develop skills, learn structures and play roles that will see them able to step in at AFL level and contribute and in fact improve our AFL team. So getting better quality VFL players actually would be short-sighted and take away from our development as less responsibility would fall to our young players. Having Thomas, Foley, Hampson, Vickery, Cachia and Dea ought to be enough experience to support the younger kids to ensure we balance being competitive with development.

I think one of the real challenges at present is to develop a team-first philosophy at VFL level when player turnover off season has been huge and let's face it many players are chasing their own AFL dream. At AFL level working hard on the 1%ers is huge. Players need to have that ingrained at VFL. As for Clark, I gather he's a mate of Dimma's. His job first and foremost is to develop players for AFL. Winning runs a distant second. If we see a steady stream of talented kids progressing through to AFL in next couple of years then he is doing his job. The likes of McBean and Elton, Lennon, CEllis, Menadue, Arnott, Drummond, Short, McDonough etc all need to really push hard for senior selection this year starting now so that we have a lot more options than the afore-mentioned vets.
Underrated post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back