Preview Round 1 - Fremantle vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Silvagni was a confirmed out too along with Dawson? So McPharlin is their only KPD with Johnson having to play as their second?

I wonder if this'll work in Butcher's favour both in getting picked initially and then having a good chance to play well. Schulz, Hoff, Butcher then Trengrove pushed forward if needed (they have limited KPFs too) could cause havoc. I'd be picking Neade too to play a pretty traditional crumbing type role.

If Ryders out Butch plays.

Good, I think his best work is in the Forward 50 anyway.
Nah, now with Schulz AND Ryder (and/or Butcher) having him primarily a forward is a waste. Sure first couple of games to ease him
Back, but with an extra tall forward I'm hoping he is played like Gray. Midfielder first, who'll drift forward at times or when he needs to pull his opponent out of position.

Nah, now with Schulz AND Ryder (and/or Butcher) having him primarily a forward is a waste. Sure first couple of games to ease him
Back, but with an extra tall forward I'm hoping he is played like Gray. Midfielder first, who'll drift forward at times or when he needs to pull his opponent out of position.
The thing is, Wingard in the Middle or in the 50 either is a waste of what he can do.

In the midfield he is quick and very skilled at dishing handballs and tight accurate kick's in little space.
But near the goals he can turn certain out of bound's and rushed behinds in to amazing goals.

No matter where you put him, you'd rather have a clone of him in the other position too.

So we have talls (not incl first ruck): Schulz, Hoff, Butcher, Trengrove, Carlile and Hombsch.

They have talls: Pavlich, Taberner, McPharlin, Johnson.

Am I missing someone? If not what are the match ups involving our two extra talls?

I'd expect Ibbotson to try and follow Hoff around and also maybe Zac Clarke to go down back on Butcher.

I'd expect Ibbotson to try and follow Hoff around and also maybe Zac Clarke to go down back on Butcher.

The idea of playing Clarke as a defender has been floated on our board but seems extremely unlikely. I'm pretty sure Clarke hasn't trained in the backline at any stage this summer and Lyon is very keen to play 3 tall forwards (Pav, Taberner, Clarke/Sandi).

More likely McPharlin goes to Schulz; Johnson and Ibbo pick up the Hoff and Butcher/Ryder which is not ideal, but with Dawson and Silvagni both injured, Alex Pearce underdone and Tanner Smith relegated to the Rookie list there ain't much else we can do. Advantage Port. Mayne is also a possibility to go back and help out in defense, though he will start forward.

Having said that, it's your smalls that worry me. That Wingard kid...

The idea of playing Clarke as a defender has been floated on our board but seems extremely unlikely. I'm pretty sure Clarke hasn't trained in the backline at any stage this summer and Lyon is very keen to play 3 tall forwards (Pav, Taberner, Clarke/Sandi).

More likely McPharlin goes to Schulz; Johnson and Ibbo pick up the Hoff and Butcher/Ryder which is not ideal, but with Dawson and Silvagni both injured, Alex Pearce underdone and Tanner Smith relegated to the Rookie list there ain't much else we can do. Advantage Port. Mayne is also a possibility to go back and help out in defense, though he will start forward.

Johnson to Butch sounds like a possibility. I assumed Clarke could have spent a bit of time back to free up Johnson. But as you said Dawson being injured limits what you can do. A fit Dawson would have probably been on Butcher.

As for the smalls...Wingard, really not sure if he will play, I think he's 50/50 at best. Thankfully we have Neade ready to step up if need be. Also if Monfries is suspended I'd expect Robbie Gray to spend a bit more time up forward, which would give guys like Ebert and Hartlett (and maybe Aaron Young) more time in the middle.

Last edited:

Not trying to take the piss and haven't followed Freo's pre-season at all but will Clarke even get a game? I was going to put him on my list of talls there but was unsure if he was best 22. Did he even play in the semi final vs us? How's Griffen looking this year? Is he more likely than Clarke to partner Sandilands or will all three play possibly?

Lastly, how about about Freo's tall fwds. There's Pav and Taberner right? So our third key back will match up on Mayne then will he? Who do Port people see Trengrove, Carlile and Hombsch playing on? Perhaps Tab, Pav and Mayne respectively?

Not trying to take the piss and haven't followed Freo's pre-season at all but will Clarke even get a game? I was going to put him on my list of talls there but was unsure if he was best 22. Did he even play in the semi final vs us? How's Griffen looking this year? Is he more likely than Clarke to partner Sandilands or will all three play possibly?

Lastly, how about about Freo's tall fwds. There's Pav and Taberner right? So our third key back will match up on Mayne then will he? Who do Port people see Trengrove, Carlile and Hombsch playing on? Perhaps Tab, Pav and Mayne respectively?

Clarke is ahead of Griff in the pecking order, after playing all 3 pre-season games, but not by much. Griff missed most of last year recovering from an ACL injury. Clarke missed most of the previous years pre-season and was chasing his tail all year. This year, he is looking much fitter. He had a good game forward on the weekend kicking 2.2 He's definitely a better ruckman than forward though. Lyon has stated on a few occasions that he wants Sandilands to spend more time forward, so I think it's possible they will get closer to a 50/50 split. It was interesting to see at the end of last year (and this pre-season) that we have started to kick to Taberner/Clarke/Sandilands instead of Pav, which leaves Pavlich on the ground to crumb goals. It worked surprisingly well. Sandi can cause some headaches down there.

So the forward line should be...

Taberner Pavlich Clarke/Sandi
Walters Mayne Ballantyne(or Crozier if Ballantyne is not fit)

Which I expect will be more potent than most will expect from a Lyon-coached team.

I would like to see Impey on Hill as I think that would be a great learning curve, and when better than the first game of the year in one we are not exactly expected to win, but it will not happen.

I also has that thought, impey has the speed to match Hill. Cornes on Hill works for the most part, but he is grossly outpaced by Hill.

Impey is at his best defending at ground level, where he can use his tight checking and closing speed to his advantage. Against smalls who are good in the air, he can get found out. But i dont see Hill as an aerial threat (like Fyfe), so the match up has potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given our draw in the fixture, perhaps its fair to say we need this win
more than Freo. Have been snooping on their board and they're worried
about 'outs' for this game esp in defence. If so its bad luck for them and
good luck for us, but Lyon has form foxing/feigning injuries.
I'm worried if Ken puts in underdone players (Wingard,Hartlett Trengove
even Ryder n Monfries) chasing an early win.
Hope/think we will get up, but looking at N Melb and the mob down the road's
draw it makes me really angry.
"Its only footy" I hear some say.
"Pig's arse its only footy. I'm not paranoid !!!

and who wants to know?

With a cloud over the former Essendon players on our list until March 31st, it must be frustrating for Fremantle selectors trying to negate match ups as well.
It's been a burden for us obviously but we have backup plans in place which we can instantly switch if required and have been setting up since NAB games started.

Then again, with Freo's current injury list, it's more likely they'll have to utilize who's available however they can, but it will be difficult for them to match up on a ruck duo with Ryder pushing forward with Schulz and Hoff roaming the field like a shark.
They'd be praying for at least a week's holiday.

Port by 21 in a close one until the last 10 mins.

With a cloud over the former Essendon players on our list until March 31st, it must be frustrating for Fremantle selectors trying to negate match ups as well.
It's been a burden for us obviously but we have backup plans in place which we can instantly switch if required and have been setting up since NAB games started.

Then again, with Freo's current injury list, it's more likely they'll have to utilize who's available however they can, but it will be difficult for them to match up on a ruck duo with Ryder pushing forward with Schulz and Hoff roaming the field like a shark.

Hope your right. This is an important game for us.

Whatever is in the water is working...

Love you guys :) Best of luck for the game, and may the best Freo win :rainbow:

There is a lot that Freo and Port have in common.
Geez I wish you guys had kicked straight in the 2013 GF.
Would have been very happy if you had.
Anti Vic teams? not really, was hoping the Bullies had grabbed one in the late 90's
and The Saints as well a few years back.

I still think there is no need to play Wingard. It's a long season, and he is a confidence player - better to only bring him back when 100%.

Amon for Wingard, Young for Monfries, Clurey for Trengove.
Our policy is to only play players who are 100% fit passing fitness test. Hinkley and Burgess are critical of this.

If Schultz only played when 100% he'll maybe been out there every 2nd week after round 2. Maybe if they can play their role and not aggravate an injury is how Port and most clubs would look at it. 100% is hard for good players once the season is underway.

Lyon has had all summer (an extra 5 weeks than last year) to prepare for this game.I'm sure he's taken in to account of facing port with or without Ryder and monfries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back