Preview Round 1, 2016: Geelong v Hawthorn, Melbourne Cricket Ground, 28 March 2016, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanger comes into my 22 for Rough.
Lithers Frawley Duryea
Birch Gibbo Stratts
Hill Mitch Hartung
Smith Shoe Gunston
Rioli McEvoy Bruest
Ceglar Hodge Lewis
Spanger Pup Burgoyne Shiels
Hawks by 24.

Goal to goal lines are one thing. But just look at the ooomph! On both those flanks!

Lithers Frawley Duryea
Birch Gibbo Stratts
Hill Mitch Hartung
Smith Shoe Gunston
Rioli McEvoy Bruest
Ceglar Hodge Lewis
Hawks by 24.

I don't thing Spang could stay on the park for around 10 - 12 consecutive games. He's in the rehab group now isn't he?

Awww benched as bro.

Ceglar in for Hale

Spang in for lake if fit (his versatility can play forward and back as can shoey and even Frawley). Heatherly next in line due to brands injury last year, unless brand plays really well in the challenge games.

Sicily in for Rough, would love it to be Obrien but unfortunately I don't think he has enough mongrel in him or physicality and the cats are a big strong side. Shem is probably ahead of Obrien which says a lot.

Hartung in for suckling

Lithers Frawley Duryea
Birch Gibbo Stratts
Hill Mitch Hartung
Smith Shoe Gunston
Rioli McEvoy Bruest
Ceglar Hodge Lewis
Hawks by 24.
That back six will have a bit of pace, I think. Lithers, Birchall, Frawley....Opposition attacks have very little room for error or they will be chasing shadows for 2 hours.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spanger won't be ready so I would lineup with Sicily in the goalsquare, Hartung or Hill to the bench, Smith on a wing and Cyril to the flank.

Langford to tag Dangerfield?
Currently got a knee complaint. May not be completely right for round 1 or at least won't have the chance to prove himself in front of others.

Here's a big call... but could Lovell do a job on Dangerfield? I don't expect he'd "win" but in the long term it would be a great experience and you never know what surprises we'll get. He has some good speed, looks to be pretty powerful through the core too. I reckon Lovell has the competitive spirit to be a pain to him around the stoppages and even hurt him on transition by getting free as I expect Dangerfield won't pay much respect to a short first gamer. Would be a big initiation for the kid but I'd like to see that match up for at least a quarter. We'd certainly learn a lot more about him as opposed to having him sit in the forward pocket and bench for most of the game.

Currently got a knee complaint. May not be completely right for round 1 or at least won't have the chance to prove himself in front of others.

Here's a big call... but could Lovell do a job on Dangerfield? I don't expect he'd "win" but in the long term it would be a great experience and you never know what surprises we'll get. He has some good speed, looks to be pretty powerful through the core too. I reckon Lovell has the competitive spirit to be a pain to him around the stoppages and even hurt him on transition by getting free as I expect Dangerfield won't pay much respect to a short first gamer. Would be a big initiation for the kid but I'd like to see that match up for at least a quarter. We'd certainly learn a lot more about him as opposed to having him sit in the forward pocket and bench for most of the game.
Love the idea, but, Rd 1 v the Cats, a contender, we can't be experimenting too much. We got to play the best 22 and get the win, especially without Rough

While there is a lot of merit n this, it is also possible it could break the kids spirit.

Love the idea, but, Rd 1 v the Cats, a contender, we can't be experimenting too much. We got to play the best 22 and get the win, especially without Rough
Clarko has a track record of experimenting early in seasons as well as giving young players a taste of the big action. I believe Jed Anderson's first AFL play involvement was a centre bounce lined up opposite Joel Selwood.

While there is a lot of merit n this, it is also possible it could break the kids spirit.
Coaches would need to weigh that up against his personality. I don't know him at all but he comes across as confident (you'd need to be to make it at his height) but also realistic. First gamer lining up against a top 5 player of the comp - expectations wouldn't be unreasonable. The role would be relatively simple though; Be his shadow at every contest, follow where he runs and understand why. It doesn't matter if he wins every one of your contests as long as you make him earn it.

Clarko has a track record of experimenting early in seasons as well as giving young players a taste of the big action. I believe Jed Anderson's first AFL play involvement was a centre bounce lined up opposite Joel Selwood.

Coaches would need to weigh that up against his personality. I don't know him at all but he comes across as confident (you'd need to be to make it at his height) but also realistic. First gamer lining up against a top 5 player of the comp - expectations wouldn't be unreasonable. The role would be relatively simple though; Be his shadow at every contest, follow where he runs and understand why. It doesn't matter if he wins every one of your contests as long as you make him earn it.
Yeah, he does have a record of that, but 1 experiment in a best 22 scenario is ok, but seeing we're down Roughead and less 3 other premiership players for the first time in a competitive sense, I'd like us to go a bit safer.
Why not play Lovell against Gary Ablett/Gold Coast in Tassie later in the year? Same learnings, safer result wise.

Yeah, he does have a record of that, but 1 experiment in a best 22 scenario is ok, but seeing we're down Roughead and less 3 other premiership players for the first time in a competitive sense, I'd like us to go a bit safer.
Why not play Lovell against Gary Ablett/Gold Coast in Tassie later in the year? Same learnings, safer result wise.
I guess it depends on how much you rate Geelong in 2016. I'm not convinced Dangerfield is going to bring them back into a window. I see them being similar to Adelaide last year. Can be dangerous but good teams will beat them more often than not. I also wouldn't have Lovell play on Dangerfield for the entire game. A quarter or two should suffice. And that match up length can be changed depending on how it goes. Obviously don't leave him on him for the whole game while Dangerfield wracks up 50 touches (only 22 of which would be effective though...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back