Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
Okay trade week just finished and we haven't even had the draft yet but I wanted to have a crack at our potential round 1 side for next year.

B: Jetta, Frost, Garland
HB: Howe, McDonald, Dunn
C: Vince, Cross, Lumumba
HF: Bail, Dawes, Watts
F: JKH, Hogan, Garlett
R: Gawn, Tyson, Jones
I: Viney, Grimes, Brayshaw*
S: Kent

Edit: Forgot Dunn

Last edited:

No Dawes. Suspended.

Are you saying Dawes is suspended for round 1 or that he should be banned for including Dawes?

I'm comfortable with both.

FB C Garland, L Dunn, N Jetta
HB H Lumumba, T McDonald, J Grimes
CT D Tyson, D Cross, B Vince
HF A Brayshaw, J Watts, D Kent
FF J Howe, J Hogan, J Garlett
Ruc M Jamar,N Jones, J Viney
Int M Gawn, B Stretch,C Salem, J Kennedy-Harris

FB: Jetta Dunn Frost
HB: Lumumba McDonald Garland
C: Vince Cross Grimes
HF: Watts Pederson Riley
FF: Garlett Hogan Howe
Ruc: Jamar Tyson N Jones
Int: Gawn Kent Viney
Sub: Toumpas

Are you saying Dawes is suspended for round 1 or that he should be banned for including Dawes?

I'm comfortable with both.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I am prepared to wait to judge Dawes when we start averaging over 40 inside 50s a game. I mean not only do we barely get the ball in there, but the delivery is garbage when it goes in.

Also not sure if Frost will start in the side, though I'd imagine he will be there by the end of the year. Not sure if Toump will be in the side at the start of the year but also hope he is in it at the end, otherwise things don't look good for him.

I am prepared to wait to judge Dawes when we start averaging over 40 inside 50s a game.

tumblr_m7yc4darjm1qf04yf.jpg

FB: Jetta, Dunn, Garland
HB: Lumumba, McDonald, Grimes
C: Kent, Vince, Tyson
HF: Howe, Dawes, Bail
FF: Garlett, Hogan, Pedersen
R: Jamar, Jones, Viney
I: P2/Brayshaw, Cross, JKH, M Jones (s)

E: Gawn, Watts, Salem

Watts/Gawn for Dawes in R1.

Can't find room for Frost just yet, backline is tall enough. Ditto Toump, needs to earn his place.

Is that us waiting, or is it Dawes?

If it's Dawes, then he may well have a better chance of holding a grab, given the concrete appears to have wasted away from his hands.

Although he is staring up into the sky, so it's likely another rushed hospital ball coming into the forward line.

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Grimes McDonald Lumumba
C: Vince Viney Cross
HF: Garlett Hogan Watts
FF: Kent Pedersen (Dawes) Howe
R: Jamar Tyson N Jones

I/C: Gawn Michie Frost
Sub: Brayshaw

Emg: Fitzpatrick Bail JKH

Close: Riley Stretch (has shown good SANFL form)

Normally I think including draftees is stupid, but I can't see any circumstance under which Brayshaw isn't wearing red and blue next year, unless he goes #1 or the Saints take McCartin and we take Petracca and Lever. If we do take Petracca he'll take Brayshaw's place. Both ready to go right away (but Roosy seems to like debutant subs).

I'm hoping Fitzpatrick improves enough over the offseason to take Pedersen's place. Salem and Toumpas need big preseasons to force their way in. I know it's shitty to say but in an ideal world Cross plays zero games next year because those two and Brayshaw, JKH and Michie force him out (with a rotating tagger).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Jetta, Dunn, Garland
HB: Lumumba, McDonald, Grimes
C: Kent, Vince, Tyson
HF: Howe, Dawes, Bail
FF: Garlett, Hogan, Pedersen
R: Jamar, Jones, Viney
I: P2/Brayshaw, Cross, JKH, M Jones (s)

E: Gawn, Watts, Salem

Watts/Gawn for Dawes in R1.

Can't find room for Frost just yet, backline is tall enough. Ditto Toump, needs to earn his place.

I'm sorry but Watts an emergency while Matt Jones is in the team?

BC, no.

Throw McCartin in there somewhere. I'm assuming he and Brayshaw will be ours. Petracca will be a saint. He even SOUNDS like a Saints player. Something about the name, I don't know what it is. But yeah. lol

I think you will see Roos make new draftees earn their stripes down at VFL. There are enough guys who have been in the system for a couple of years who should be doing everything to keep Brayshaw et. al out of the side for as long as possible. We don't need them to play immediately. That is where we need the side to be. Having top draftees who don't walk into our side. For me, I hope our top 2 picks don't get a look in due to guys like Salem, Toump, Kent, Bail keeping them out with good form.

FWIW

B Jetta McDonald Garland
HB Grimes Dunn Howe
C Lumumba Tyson Vince
HF Cross Pederson Watts
F Garlett Hogan Kent
R Jamar Jones Viney
I Gawn Bail Toumpas Salem (e)

That was more difficult than I thought. On paper though everything looks better than it really is.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I am prepared to wait to judge Dawes when we start averaging over 40 inside 50s a game. I mean not only do we barely get the ball in there, but the delivery is garbage when it goes in.

Also not sure if Frost will start in the side, though I'd imagine he will be there by the end of the year. Not sure if Toump will be in the side at the start of the year but also hope he is in it at the end, otherwise things don't look good for him.
This. I agree it can be frustrating watch Dawes grass pretty easy marks overhead, but the Dawes-bashing is over the top at times. Tough to blame any of the forwards for anything when half the time they are told to go stand on defensive fifty to try and help rescue us out of defence..

I think you will see Roos make new draftees earn their stripes down at VFL. There are enough guys who have been in the system for a couple of years who should be doing everything to keep Brayshaw et. al out of the side for as long as possible. We don't need them to play immediately. That is where we need the side to be. Having top draftees who don't walk into our side. For me, I hope our top 2 picks don't get a look in due to guys like Salem, Toump, Kent, Bail keeping them out with good form.

FWIW

B Jetta McDonald Garland
HB Grimes Dunn Howe
C Lumumba Tyson Vince
HF Cross Pederson Watts
F Garlett Hogan Kent
R Jamar Jones Viney
I Gawn Bail Toumpas Salem (e)

That was more difficult than I thought. On paper though everything looks better than it really is.
It really isn't the worst looking side is it? Compared with the top sides it lacks stars for absolute sure, but surely that side will at least be <cringe> competitive? Hope Kent takes the next step too. Just what we need, someone with pace that loves a running goal. Garlett adds more pace and I like that you have Watts in the forward line. Now all we need is someone to hit him on the chest when he leads and we will look like a footy team.

Lots of it depends on Hogan being as dominant as we all hope he will be too I fear

B: Jetta Frost Dunn
HB: Lumumba McDonald Garland
C: Viney Cross Vince
HF: Howe Pederson Watts
F: Garlett Hogan Kent
Foll: Jamar N. Jones Tyson
Bench: Grimes Bail Michie
S: Salem
Emg: Kennedy-Harris Toumpas Gawn

No Dawes means Howe has to be a target up forward. Even though the output of Frawley was limited in the front half this year, he did provide a target,
which is something that needs to be filled.
Frost played 16 games last year, he'll be ready to fill the void as our second key post defender.
McDonald will play on the more aerobic based forward due to his tank being significantly larger than Frost's, hence why he's CHB.
Lumumba and Garlett, mature recruits specifically traded in to fill our vacancies at half-back and as small forward, so they're straight in.
Despite what people say about Bail, his abilities to apply the most 1%'s and pressure in the side, are the reason why he played 21 games this year and why he'll be in round 1 side next year.
New draftees not in because of Roos' mantra of "earning your spot through VFL". Yes, Kennedy-Harris played in round 1 last year, but that was due to literally having no one to play as a small-crumbing forward.

As soon as I see someone's proposed side with Brayshaw or any other potential draftee on the field or interchange I stop reading.

I can never understand including someone who is not even an MFC player yet and has never played a game against men. You might as well predict the next MFC Grand Final side (likely to be sometime in the 20s)

As soon as I see someone's proposed side with Brayshaw or any other potential draftee on the field or interchange I stop reading.

I can never understand including someone who is not even an MFC player yet and has never played a game against men. You might as well predict the next MFC Grand Final side (likely to be sometime in the 20s)
I agree. 99% sure that P2 won't play in round 1 next year. Or P3.

Frost looks like he provides better run and carry than Grimes, and it won't be hard for him to be a better kick. Sounds horrible but Grimes needs his spot to be under fire (and shouldn't be co-captain).

Frost looks like he provides better run and carry than Grimes, and it won't be hard for him to be a better kick. Sounds horrible but Grimes needs his spot to be under fire (and shouldn't be co-captain).

It's a highlights package, they make everyone look like stars.

Also Frost has zero impact on Grimes spot, no where near the same type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back