Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1

B: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Howe - Mcdonald - Salem

C: Cross - Vince - Lumumba

R: Jamar - Jones - Tyson

HF: Garlett - Hogan - Vandenberg

F: Frost - Watts - Kent

Inter: Grimes - Viney - Newton

Sub: Toumpas

FB: Garland Dunn Jetta
HB: Lumumba Frost Salem
C: Viney Vince Cross
HF: Howe Dawes Watts
FF: Kent Hogan Garlett

FOLL: Jamar N. Jones Tyson
INT: Gawn Pedersen JKH VandenBerg

SUB: Newton Grimes Michie

I'm ignoring injuries and suspension, this is basically my first 22. Possibly a bit tall.

... Tom McDonald??

B: Frost Dunn Jetta
HB: Lumumba McDonald Salem
C: Vince Newton Cross
HF: Watts Pedersen Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Howe
Ruc: Jamar Tyson N Jones
Int: Gawn Viney Toump
Sub: JKH

Wether howe is right to go i'm not sure what Roos will do with Howe and Frost. who will play forward and who will play back? Also what are the rules with Rookie listed players?

B: Frost Dunn Jetta
HB: Lumumba McDonald Salem
C: Vince Newton Cross
HF: Watts Pedersen Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Howe
Ruc: Jamar Tyson N Jones
Int: Gawn Viney Toump
Sub: JKH

Wether howe is right to go i'm not sure what Roos will do with Howe and Frost. who will play forward and who will play back? Also what are the rules with Rookie listed players?

Petracca is on the long term injury list so VandenBerg could be upgraded now. There's no rush though, I expect it will be done before round 1.

Petracca is on the long term injury list so VandenBerg could be upgraded now. There's no rush though, I expect it will be done before round 1.
Trengove also on the LTI list means there should be no risk upgrading him, but yeah still no rush

Frost shouldn't play round one IMO unless it's down back - liability up forward and makes us too tall.

We need all the runners we can get.

As someone who doesn't have a great knowledge of Melbourne's list playing Sam Frost at FB seems like the obvious choice. Why should all of McDonald, Dunn and Garland regularly have to play on a blokes who have 5cm+ on them.

I'd be dropping Garlo for round 1 , I'd think frost will create more pressure and rebound and be atleast as good a defender

Also im hopin toumpas can grimes in the back 6 this season, you need 2 quality ball users in the back 6 atleast in modern footy and last year we had none

As someone who doesn't have a great knowledge of Melbourne's list playing Sam Frost at FB seems like the obvious choice. Why should all of McDonald, Dunn and Garland regularly have to play on a blokes who have 5cm+ on them.

McDonald is the same height as Frost for starters, plus we can't really afford to have another player who needs to work on his decision making down back.

Garlo and Dunn are experienced and have dependable skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald is the same height as Frost for starters, plus we can't really afford to have another player who needs to work on his decision making down back.

Garlo and Dunn are experienced and have dependable skills.

Didn't realize that they were the same size. Frost definitely looks bigger. I rate both Garland and Dunn just think they'd be far more effective as 3rd and 4th talks. Especially with Garland looking a fair way off his best this preseason

Frost shouldn't play round one IMO unless it's down back - liability up forward and makes us too tall.

We need all the runners we can get.
I only put Frost up forward because Dawes will be out round 1, agree he's best in defence but thats where he was playing against Essendon so I think they might be planning on him playing up there for a couple of weeks.

I really think Garland needs to lift. He has made a couple of pretty poor decisions during Nab Cup. I think it was the Freo game where he was not willing to take the game on and try to use the corridor like we have tried a fair bit. We have looked really good when going through the middle and it is something we rarely did last year. I think Frost needs to take the No. 2 forward in the backline and free up Dunn to use his penetrating leg. Frost is a good option up forward if we can teach him to kick but I think it is going to take a while for him to be more accurate in front of goals. Then again Dawes needs work there too. I'm loving Lumumba, every time I see Clark playing well I get a little upset, but then I see Lumumba running freely and giving us more run then we have seen in the last decade. Bring on Easter weekend and the GCS. BTW, I don't see Vince or Howe playing unless they get a run in the reserves next weekend. Even if they do that, I think they will be a sub if they are fit. I don't think many coaches would let key players play without any game time running up to it. Unless your name is Gary and have no hair.

What happens after round 1 is up in the air, but it seems almost certain to me at least that Frost plays forward round 1 and as the back up ruck as well. Whether that's right or wrong I don't know.

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Salem McDonald Grimes
C: Lumumba Jones Newton
HF: Kent Hogan Vandenberg
FF: Garlett Frost Watts
Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross
Int: Viney Vince Howe
S: JKH
E: Gawn, Pedersen, Brayshaw, M Jones, Toumpas, Bail, Michie

I'm actually thinking we're better off going small in round 1. If neither Pedersen nor Gawn have shown enough to be in the team as a forward then leave them out and rely on Watts and vandenBerg as medium sized targets plus give yourself the extra midfield rotations. I'd start Howe back but have him as a forward option as well. Both Howe and Vince are touch and go. If neither get up for the game then I'd put one of the big fellas in and then take your pick for the next spot. Despite his raft of errors maybe Matt Jones temps me more than the others as he can seem to both find the ball and run with it. Maybe we get lucky and find him on that one day a year he manages to also hit a target

Anyone think there is any chance Grimes doesn't get a go in round 1?
I think they will start with Grimes seeing as how he is still in the leadership group & its pretty much his position to lose from then onwards. He is probably one of the last people picked in the side though.

Anyone think Frost could turn into a Stef Martin type? Great pace, good leap and very agile.

Reckon he'd do alright roaming around the field.

Isn't it sad we're now hoping our recruits can turn into replicas of perfectly good ex-dees we got rid of for sfa.

Isn't it sad we're now hoping our recruits can turn into replicas of perfectly good ex-dees we got rid of for sfa.

On that note I wonder if Petterd could still get a game here
He looked like he could be a gun forward at one point now he is a vanilla as * midfielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back