Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely second hand information but don't be surprised Jimmy Harmes putting his hand up early Dawes for selection next year. Guy is in ripping condition (apparently).

(edit: nevermind, rookie listed kid'll have to wait till round 12 :p)
Will be upgraded for Trengove I'd expect, unless Tapscott gets in first.

Purely second hand information but don't be surprised Jimmy Harmes putting his hand up early Dawes for selection next year. Guy is in ripping condition (apparently).

They were pretty impressed with him last year and we already have a list spot open plus the inevitable LTI

Wouldn't be a big surprise to see him get a go.

He was very good last year at Casey, but the thing that impressed the club most was his rate of development in the second half of the year.

B: Jetta Dunn Frost
Hb: Garland Mcdonald Lumumba
C: Watts N.Jones Vince
Hf: Kent Pederson Kennedy-Harris
F: Garlett Hogan Howe
Foll: Gawn Tyson Viney
Inter: Grimes Cross Newton Toumpas
Now notable players not included are Dawes,Salem,Mitchie and the Big Russian but Dawes and Salem to come in soon,Dawes the next week
Well people would really like to know what your thoughts are on this team and if you agree with m,please feel free to reply
I personally feel thats a very strong team

Now notable players not included are Dawes,Salem,Mitchie and the Big Russian but Dawes and Salem to come in soon,Dawes the next week
Well people would really like to know what your thoughts are on this team and if you agree with m,please feel free to reply

I'd be surprised if we left Jamar out of the side early - especially without Dawes.

Bail still ahead of Toumpas as well, but hopefully that may change.

Otherwise good effort I reckon.

What do you guys reakon,can we have the 3 talls up forward being Hogan,Dawes and Pederson and instead of 2 ruckman have either of Dawes or Pederson to occasionally pinch hit in the ruck if needed,I think that might work well,if so who is first option with Jamar or Gawn or do you prefer Jamar and Gawn both in and the other 3 stay in forwards

What do you guys reakon,can we have the 3 talls up forward being Hogan,Dawes and Pederson and instead of 2 ruckman have either of Dawes or Pederson to occasionally pinch hit in the ruck if needed,I think that might work well,if so who is first option with Jamar or Gawn or do you prefer Jamar and Gawn both in and the other 3 stay in forwards

I think we went in slightly tall too often last year - but that may have been because of lack of good running options.

I would be surprised if we took Pederson in front of Jamar too often. Jamar offers a marking target deep in the forward line, and can also ruck. Pederson is hard working, but I don't think he's a much better forward option than Jamar - and he's certainly not even half the ruckman.

Seems to don't rate Jamar? Do you think he's nearly finished?

I think we went in slightly tall too often last year - but that may have been because of lack of good running options.

I would be surprised if we took Pederson in front of Jamar too often. Jamar offers a marking target deep in the forward line, and can also ruck. Pederson is hard working, but I don't think he's a much better forward option than Jamar - and he's certainly not even half the ruckman.

Seems to don't rate Jamar? Do you think he's nearly finished?
Oh no I do rate Jamar I just not sure if all those 5 could fit in the same team,what do you think,maybe they could? I actually think Jamar and Gawn are currently are 2 best rucks

Oh no I do rate Jamar I just not sure if all those 5 could fit in the same team,what do you think,maybe they could? I actually think Jamar and Gawn are currently are 2 best rucks

Yeh I think it's slightly too much with all 5 of those. Particularly because each of Dawes, Pederson and Jamar can often play a full game with less than 10 touches and no scoreboard impact.

It would depend on the side we are playing against at the time, but if we had a better quality tall amongst them (McCartin??), then I think it would be easier to take 5 of them into a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O
Yeh I think it's slightly too much with all 5 of those. Particularly because each of Dawes, Pederson and Jamar can often play a full game with less than 10 touches and no scoreboard impact.

It would depend on the side we are playing against at the time, but if we had a better quality tall amongst them (McCartin??), then I think it would be easier to take 5 of them into a game.
Oh yes McCartin I really do hope we get him as with Clarke leaving we need another quality key forward tall,what do you think of Grimley from hawthorn,he is tall and a leading goalkicker for box hill,I reakon he could be handy for us and also Howe I feel he is much more valuable up forward as we had trouble scoring last season

Just my two cents, this is how I think your best 22 might look come the end of the year.
Garland ~ Frost ~ Jetta
Lumumber ~ McDonald ~ Grimes
Howe ~ Viney ~ Vince
Salem ~ Dawes ~ Kennedy-Harris
Garlett ~ Hogan ~ Watts
Jamar ~ N.Jones ~ Tyson
Toumpus ~ Dunn ~ Newton
Brayshaw

Round one:

B: Grimes/Howe -Frost - Dunn
HB: HL - McDonald - Jetta
W: Vince - Viney - Watts/kent
HF: Kent/watts - Hogan - Salem
F: Garlett Pedo JKH
Foll: Jamar N.Jones Tyson
Inter: Garland Cross Gawn Newton

Not including our new kids to come nor is it the team Id like to see by the half way of next season

My dream squad if all fit and afl ready

B: Howe -Frost - Dunn
HB: HL - McDonald - Jetta
W: Vince - Viney - Watts/kent
HF: Kent/watts - Hogan - Salem
F: Garlett McCartin* JKH
Foll: Gawn N.Jones Tyson
Inter: Garland Brayshaw* Dawes Newton

I hope to see these players really making the 22 play at their best or they'll head back to casey
Mitchie, Riley, Cross, Grimes, Hunt, Strect, Toump, Bail.
It's good to finally see that there are a few players good enough to come in and replace someone and not be far behind on skill level etc and not just 'filling in'
They really need to start earning their spot and not just expect and know they will be played.

Last edited:
FB- Jetta, Dunn, Garland
HB- Lumumba, McDonald, Grimes
C- Cross, Vince, Viney
HF- Watts, Pederson, Howe
FF- Gartlett, Hogan, JKH
FOL- Jamar, Jones, Tyson
INT- Toumpass, Newton, Bail*, McKenzie*

* = two to give way for picks 2/3

B: Jetta, Frost, Garland
HB: Lumumba, McDonald, Dunn
C: Vince, Cross, Watts
HF: Grimes, Dawes, Howe
F: Bail, Hogan, Garlett
R: Jamar, Tyson, Jones
I: Viney, Gawn, Kent
S: JKH

Here's another crack from me.

Still concerned about the lack of run from defense, and through the middle. Maybe Brayshaw, Salem or Newton can push one of the utility type out like Grimes, Howe, Garland, Watts or Dunn??

B: Jetta, Frost, Garland
HB: Grimes, McDonald, Dunn
C: Lumumba, Tyson, Vince
HF: Watts, Pederson, Gartlett
FF: JKH, Hogan, Kent
R: Jamar, Jones, Viney
I: Cross, Howe, Newton
S: Salem

Just had a crack at our round 1 side.

B: Grimes, Dunn, Garland
HB: Lumumba, McDonald, Howe
C: Toumpas, Viney, Vince
HF: Watts, Hogan, Salem
FF: JKH, Fitzpatrick, Garlett
R: Jamar, Jones, Tyson
I: Cross, Gawn, Newton
S: Brayshaw

Dawes to come in for Fitzpatrick in round 2 if he doesn't fire. I reall like Fitzpatrick as a player. His worth
perservering with. He'll come good with more game time. I don't know what all the fuss is over Jetta - he has poor disposal IMO. Kent is stiff not to make my side as he shows promise, but is competing with the likes of JKH and Garlett for that small forward role. Looking forward to having Newton and Brayshaw in the round one team. Howe will stay back earlier in the year due to his solid performances last year. Watts needs to become that third tall in the forward line using his endurance and pace to take marks up the ground and then push forward. Jamar and Gawn are no brainers in terms of being in the side. They will make a formittable pair given they can both go forward and have an influence. Frost will be good for us down back and will get game time this year, but not round one IMO.

B: Grimes, Dunn, Garland
HB: Lumumba, McDonald, Howe
C: Toumpas, Viney, Vince
HF: Watts, Hogan, Salem
FF: JKH, Fitzpatrick, Garlett
R: Jamar, Jones, Tyson
I: Cross, Gawn, Newton
S: Brayshaw

Dawes to come in for Fitzpatrick in round 2 if he doesn't fire. I reall like Fitzpatrick as a player. His worth
perservering with. He'll come good with more game time. I don't know what all the fuss is over Jetta - he has poor disposal IMO. Kent is stiff not to make my side as he shows promise, but is competing with the likes of JKH and Garlett for that small forward role. Looking forward to having Newton and Brayshaw in the round one team. Howe will stay back earlier in the year due to his solid performances last year. Watts needs to become that third tall in the forward line using his endurance and pace to take marks up the ground and then push forward. Jamar and Gawn are no brainers in terms of being in the side. They will make a formittable pair given they can both go forward and have an influence. Frost will be good for us down back and will get game time this year, but not round one IMO.

What? Did you even watch Jetta last year?

Nev was destroying the competitions best small forwards regularly. He also doesn't have poor disposal, don't know where you picked that up from. He isn't someone that is going to come out and lace 50m bullets down the line but he's very smart and sound when getting rid of the footy, makes the simple pass and plays within his limitations. Anybody who doesn't have Jetta in their best 22 is instantly wrong straight off the bat, he'd be one of the first picked every week behind Nathan Jones.

Nev was destroying the competitions best small forwards regularly. He also doesn't have poor disposal, don't know where you picked that up from. He isn't someone that is going to come out and lace 50m bullets down the line but he's very smart and sound when getting rid of the footy, makes the simple pass and plays within his limitations. Anybody who doesn't have Jetta in their best 22 is instantly wrong straight off the bat, he'd be one of the first picked every week behind Nathan Jones.

Don't get me wrong I was very impressed by the improvement shown by Jetta last year. I just think that with the recruitment of Lumumba as a running HBF and the form shown by Howe last year playing of Half Back there may not be room in the back half for Jetta. Grimes is best playing down back and we then need two talls in McDonald and Dunn and a medium in Garland. If Jetta playes like he did last year he may well be in the side round one. Unfortunately I live interstate (but I am a member and have been so for nearly 20 years) and don't get to see MFC games live. I do however watch every Melbourne game on either Foxtel or on Channel 7, but it is nowhere as good as being at a game live.

Don't get me wrong I was very impressed by the improvement shown by Jetta last year. I just think that with the recruitment of Lumumba as a running HBF and the form shown by Howe last year playing of Half Back there may not be room in the back half for Jetta. Grimes is best playing down back and we then need two talls in McDonald and Dunn and a medium in Garland. If Jetta playes like he did last year he may well be in the side round one. Unfortunately I live interstate (but I am a member and have been so for nearly 20 years) and don't get to see MFC games live. I do however watch every Melbourne game on either Foxtel or on Channel 7, but it is nowhere as good as being at a game live.

The recruitment of Lumumba has no bearing on Jetta, Neville is a small defender and a very good one at that.

However the recruitment of Lumumba could result in Howe heading back to the forward line.

Yeah. Jetta doesn't have the game/line-breaking disposal of a Watts, Vince, or Salem, but he's still very classy in the back half. Doesn't make too many mistakes and hits up useful passes which turn into possession chains coming out of defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back