Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not bad mate.

I'd have Grimes in there before McCartin - wouldn't surprise me if he gets a defensive forward post at times this year.

McCartin is a big bodied forward - so even if we do draft him, you'd expect him to need a year or 2 playing mostly VFL.

I'll get shot down for this - but Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris and even Salem (as high as my hopes are) will need some serious growth if they are to push out workmen Bail and M Jones next year. I suspect we'll start the season with those 2 on the senior side - especially if we blood Hogan and Brayshaw first up.

I also think Jamar is still in our best 22 but that's far more debatable and I don't think you need to change that.

Yep, all seems fair enough.

Each year we do a mates teams 22 and at the end of the year evaluate who was the closest and they get the mulah... alas I'm probably not in the right thread as I'm trying to see who will be the best by the end of 2015 rather than who lines up round 1.

Neville Jettas form last year was pretty bloody good right?

G'day guys,
Apologies for the intrusion, but is this team sort of what you imagine will be your strongest throughout 2015?

FB: N.Jetta - T.McDonald - C.Garland
HB: D.Cross - L.Dunn - H.La'bambam

MID: M.Gawn - D.Tyson - J.Viney
MID: B.Vince - N.Jones - J.Toumpas

HF: C.Salem - J.Hogan - J.Howe
FF: P.McCartin - C.Dawes - J.Garlett

INT J.Watts - J.Kennedy-Harris - A.Brayshaw - J.Trengove

A couple of mates and I are trying to do best 22s for each others teams, and this is what I've come up with.

I've attempted to make it as 'Hawthorn' as possible in structure, meaning a lot of midfielders and everyone that isn't a tall being able to rotate through the middle.

I know Hogan and McCartin (I know you haven't OFFICIALLY drafted him yet ...) haven't played any AFL, but they're just such amazing talents I can't imagine them being kept out of the side.

Can Dawes play second ruck?
I really like Grimes, but 3 of Dunn, McDonald, Garland and Frost seems the right way to go, and his disposal probably isn't good enough to play the creative role someone like Burgoyne or Birchall does at the Hawks.

WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Cheers!
You aren't far off.

Trengove isn't really in calculations for 2015.
Dawes won't second ruck.

I'm expecting Russian to play, but the contest should be on this year.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, all seems fair enough.

Each year we do a mates teams 22 and at the end of the year evaluate who was the closest and they get the mulah... alas I'm probably not in the right thread as I'm trying to see who will be the best by the end of 2015 rather than who lines up round 1.

Neville Jettas form last year was pretty bloody good right?

Yep Jetta is still on the rookie risk but you can lock him in for an upgrade and round 1 start on the field.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dawes playing second ruck ruined his career at Collingwood.

He wasn't much chop in the first place, but replacing him with Quinten Lynch, Jesse White and an injured Ben Reid makes the heart grow fonder.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
He wasn't much chop in the first place, but replacing him with Quinten Lynch, Jesse White and an injured Ben Reid makes the heart grow fonder.

I think the way the whole Dawes situation was handled poorly but we got Broomhead out of it so I'm cool.

G'day guys,
Apologies for the intrusion, but is this team sort of what you imagine will be your strongest throughout 2015?

FB: N.Jetta - T.McDonald - C.Garland
HB: D.Cross - L.Dunn - H.La'bambam

MID: M.Gawn - D.Tyson - J.Viney
MID: B.Vince - N.Jones - J.Toumpas

HF: C.Salem - J.Hogan - J.Howe
FF: P.McCartin - C.Dawes - J.Garlett

INT J.Watts - J.Kennedy-Harris - A.Brayshaw - J.Trengove

A couple of mates and I are trying to do best 22s for each others teams, and this is what I've come up with.

I've attempted to make it as 'Hawthorn' as possible in structure, meaning a lot of midfielders and everyone that isn't a tall being able to rotate through the middle.

I know Hogan and McCartin (I know you haven't OFFICIALLY drafted him yet ...) haven't played any AFL, but they're just such amazing talents I can't imagine them being kept out of the side.

Can Dawes play second ruck?
I really like Grimes, but 3 of Dunn, McDonald, Garland and Frost seems the right way to go, and his disposal probably isn't good enough to play the creative role someone like Burgoyne or Birchall does at the Hawks.

WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Cheers!
I'd have Pedersen in for McCartin as a 2nd ruck/tall utility. Gawn probably won't ruck whole games on his own and Dawes is ordinary as a 2nd ruck; also swap Trengove for Grimes since he'll be injured for most, if not all, of next year. Solid effort otherwise.

EskiBro

Debutant
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Nightcliff Tigers, PINT Greenants.
Is there any chance Jake Spencer plays as first choice ruck. I haven't seen him mentioned in anyone's best 22, but I thought he looked really good in the ruck before he got injured, just needed to give a bit more around the ground.

Given where the club is going, maybe even Spencer ruck and Gawn 2nd ruck/forward. Jamar misses out, just because of age.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Is there any chance Jake Spencer plays as first choice ruck. I haven't seen him mentioned in anyone's best 22, but I thought he looked really good in the ruck before he got injured, just needed to give a bit more around the ground.

Given where the club is going, maybe even Spencer ruck and Gawn 2nd ruck/forward. Jamar misses out, just because of age.

I think if all ruckmen are fit then he still comes in as third choice. Gawn - in my eyes - is far and away the best of the three for an all round game. Jamar is a better tap ruckman than Spencer but I think Jake impacts more around the ground.

EskiBro

Debutant
Oct 18, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Nightcliff Tigers, PINT Greenants.
Yeah, Gawn is one of those guys that you just hope does well, even as an opposition supporter.
A bit like Ben Brown from North. They just seem to love every moment and be really thankful for the opportunity they've been given and give everything they've got in return. It's the same reason I like Spencer (that and he's a Queenslander).

This on McCartin from Knightmare;

Disagree with him, he is by far the most ready to go.

Wright is big but doesn't know how to use his body and Moore (who I assume he's comparing him to) is a fair way off it, being very similar to Watts as a junior in that his athleticism is used to win the ball rather than body work.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

He's competitive around the ground but he's a horrid ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's competitive around the ground but he's a horrid ruck.
He's really just a horrid footballer. Gawn is already much ahead, but unfortunately I don't think his body is ever going to let him play consistently enough to really come on.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He's really just a horrid footballer. Gawn is already much ahead, but unfortunately I don't think his body is ever going to let him play consistently enough to really come on.
We've had our share of injury bullshit, Max is going to turn this around. :rainbow:

If by some miracle Hogan and McCartin do come good we could have a Buddy/Roughead 2008 quality forward line in 4 or 5 years. Defence wouldn't be too shabby either (assuming TMac continues to improve, Garland gets his form back, and Frost turns out okay). Just need to get the midfield right.

Of course this won't happen because McCartin will have his legs amputated the day after we draft him.

He was the modern day prototype
Guy could play as a rover and certainly wasn't shy taking a mark

Severely underrated
Terrific kick too. Gave it a lovely strike.

That set shot against the Doggies way back when. Never going to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back