Game Day Round 1- West Coast v Western Bulldogs at Docklands- The Beginning of All Things

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
Isiah 40:30-31

"Also, the Bulldogs suck."
Isiah 40:31b

Simpson’s Season 2, Episode 1- Kneehouse of Horror

X6rI0M1.jpg

I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, “Treament is simple.. The great football team West Coast are playing tonight. Go see them. That should pick you up”. Man bursts into tears. Says, “But doctor.. I coach the West Coast Eagles”.

Adam Simpson had started 2015 so well. In early January, he sauntered into an office supply store that we won’t name until we get paid for it, and walked out with a White J.Burrows A4 4 D-Ring 25mm Insert Binder ($2.99), a Spirax 240 Page Notebook Insert ($3.61) and a Sheaffer 300 Black Fountain Pen with Chrome Plate Trim ($69.95). Moseying back to Subiaco Pattersons Domain Stadium [note to self, check what corporate bullshit these sellouts have whored themselves out to before posting] with a gleam in his eye and a song in his heart, Simpson strolled into his kingly office to begin his premiership manifesto- Das Fußball,eine Kritik der taktik und Strategie. He had found out that all the great coaches were doing this; Alistair Clarkson had famously written How to Lose Franklin and Influence Premierships in the lead up to their back to back flags, while Ken Hinkley- in true Port Adelaide fashion- had cobbled together the rather unusual Fifty Shades of Robbie Grey.

Opening the notebook to the last page, Simpson jotted down one line at the bottom of the sheet- and that was how we gone and won the premiership. He sat back in his chair. Scratching his head, he began wondering how the * to fill the rest of it.

Since then it had been a series of unfortunate events, including a lawsuit for stealing large swathes of a certain book series for his sugar-bowl related game plan. Almost-as-good-as-Alex-Rance defender Eric Marquenzie damaged his knee and the hopes and dreams of Eagles fans in the first official pre-season match against Carlton. Masten had refused point blank to get a haircut or stop hanging out with poor influences such as Sharrod Wellingham, and the whole team had an out of control painkiller party at the house of a colourful Fremantle identity.

Training had increasingly resembled the Bataan Death March, with the young coaching squad trying in vain to simulate the pressure of a big game situation. After literally crushing several players in a pressure situation involving a bathysphere and an underwater city, ADAM Simpson attempted to move training back from Rapture to Subiaco Oval, only to find that the grass had been torn, scuffed and probably smoked by voracious little hooligans at a One Direction Concert- and Chris Masten.

Despite all that, there was one ray of sunshine from where Simpson was sitting- the result of a Priddis miskick that broke through the plaster wall in the room next to his office. He knew that the Ol Faithful Round 1 game against the Bulldogs was waiting to start the season. In a surprisingly unrandom random draw from the AFL, the two were set to face off in the opening fixture for the third time in four years, with the Eagles winning comfortably in the previous two encounters. He repeated this fact over and over as he lay in bed, gazing at the stars through another Priddishole. Sleep was difficult at times, but he’d been hooked up with a concoction from the Crowley-Johnson laboratory.

As he drifted off, random thoughts flickered and passed through his mind- matchups, key players, Dermott Brereton in a skin-tight latex skiing suit, Russell Westbook on a farm, stand-up premises… depth charts… lilacs out of the dead land… something about sponsorships…

groundhog-day-o.gif

“Then put your little hand in mine, there ain’t no hill or mountain we can’t climb. I got you babe… I got you babe”

Simpson sat bolt upright. Every year it was the same.

They were playing the Bulldogs again. The team had injury issues. They were expected to finish mid-to-low table.

It was 2019. Or still 2015? 2014?

Wallowing in eternal mediocrity. An Ouroborous, feasting not just on its own tail, but a bowl of gluggy vanilla pudding, topped off with rice and unflavoured cream. Drifting in the eternal football wilderness, waiting to be eaten by wolves.

West Coast by 128.

West Coast v Western Bulldogs
Round 1, Docklands Stadium Saturday, 7.20 EDT

625199_thumb.jpg

For Starters
Welcome back! Your dreams were your ticket out. Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.

Football is back, and how great does that feel? It’s been a longer off season than usual with the Cricket World Cup taking place, but with pretty decent results over summer on the cricket front if you’re a Scorchers/WA/Australian fan. The pre-season competition has lost a lot of impact in terms of breaking the off season lull up as well, due to its restriction entirely to pay TV and lack of any proper competitive elements. With that in mind, off-season AFL had to make its own fun with a handful of potentially serious drug violations, the ever ongoing Essendon doping saga, and a couple of minor betting scandals thrown in the mix. But if it’s the onfield stuff that you really care about- which it is- we’re about to start twenty something rounds of high octane, blood pumping, heart wrenching action of the greatest sport in the south-western Pacific area. Boo-*******-ya!

Rivalries in the AFL come and go- the AFL award pointless cups for them all the time. University even probably had one at some stage. But from day one, the biggest football rivalry has always been The Battle For The West- Eagles v Bulldogs. You can rattle of endless lists of champion players who’ve taken part- Simon Minton-Connell, and others! On Saturday, we’re hoping for another exciting encounter at Docklands, between two teams who appear relatively evenly matched from results in the past few seasons.

Pre-season optimism is always a feature in February and March, but both the Eagles and the Bulldogs got an unpleasantly early gamma-laden dose of reality poisoning, with both teams losing their 2014 best and fairest winners in the space of a few weeks. Despite that, the form of the Bulldogs in the pre-season competition was not too bad, beating Richmond and Collingwood, but losing surprisingly to the Demons in the second week. For the Eagles, their results were a little more expected, beating Carlton and going down to Port Adelaide and Fremantle, all games that were essentially over by 3QT. They also gave an Indigenous representative team what for to kick off proceedings in February.

Get settled, prepare adequate sponsored food and beverages, and try to maintain calm throughout another tumultuous week and or/season. We’re back!!

742783-eagles-vs-bulldogs.jpg

Teams

<Teams will be announced later today. The following is an educated guess taken from team boards>

Western Bulldogs:

FB: Morris Roughead Wood
HB: Murphy Talia Boyd
C: Macrae Wallis Grant
HF: Stringer Redpath Picken
FF: Dahlhaus Boyd Dickson
R: Minson Bontempelli Goodes
I/C: Honeychurch Hamling Jong
Sub: Crameri

West Coast Eagles:

FB: Butler Brown Yeo
HB: Hurn McGovern Sheppard
C: Rosa Shuey Gaff
HF: Masten Lamb Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy McGinnity
R: Naitanui Priddis Selwood
IC: Lycett Sheed Schofield
Sub: Nelson

Where will the game be won?

Putting pre-season results aside, the real issue in the leadup to the season for both sides was seeing how the teams would cope with evolving structures and personnel. The Bulldogs have a new coach in Luke Beveridge, and Adam Simpson is now into his second year as senior coach at the Eagles. During the draft a heavy emphasis on midfield talent was clear, and Simpson has spoken numerous times about the need for players to be versatile and compete under pressure, which will be needed particularly with the loss of Mackenzie and potentially Jack Darling for a decent period. We saw Jeremy McGovern play mainly as a key defender, and interestingly Elliot Yeo doing much the same, with his expected move into the midfield seemingly on hold while the team shores up the defence.

Speaking of the defence, it will be one aspect for the Eagles that will be markedly different to much of last season. With the loss of Darren Glass midyear and now Mackenzie, the Eagles will be using last year’s third and forth string key defenders as the main shutdown options in Mitch Brown and possibly Will Schofield, with McGovern as well. Papier-mâché man Xavier Ellis is missing again, Beau Waters has sadly retired, and so the club is looking for different options at mid-sized level too.2014 draftee Jackson Nelson has impressed pre-season and might make a run at the Round 1 side.

West Coast’s issues with defence contrast to the strengthening of the Bulldogs forward line in the off season. Long an Achilles heel for Bulldogs teams, they aggressively targeted and eventually got budding superstar Tom Boyd on a long term contract. What he can offer immediately is yet to be seen, but the potential is obviously enormous. The Dogs were 13th for points for last year, but have a lot of potential improvement through other youngsters such as Jack Redpath and the exciting Jake Stringer, but may still be a little raw there at this stage. The Bulldogs had some fantastic ball winners in the middle of the park last year, but very few that were able to consistently hit the scoreboard, and probably need more help in that area.

296653-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Moving to the midfield and the Bulldogs have lost a big weapon in inside midfielder Tom Liberatore. A tackling machine with a fantastic clearance winning ability, they will miss his work in the clinches. Apart from Liberatore, the Bulldogs have lost Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen and part-time-mid-full-time-tease Shaun Higgins. They’ve lost a lot of firepower there and are banking of improvement from a whole range of impressive talents, including the hype machine Marcus Bontempelli, who may be the most exciting young player in the game right at the moment, the recently signed Luke Dalhouse, Jack Macrae, and Mitch Wallis. With the Bulldogs midfield already with several inexperienced players there, it is unlikely any of the 2014 draftees will appear this early in the year.

While you might not know what you’ll get from the Bulldogs mids, many of the Eagles mids are much more seasoned but less likely to rip the game open. Brownlow Medallist Matt Priddis, Matt Rosa, Chris Masten and Scott Selwood are solid players, but each have limitations that prevent them from getting to much of a higher level than they already are. Despite that, the Eagles have two ruckmen in Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett that could form a formidable partnership rotating through, and the explosive Luke Shuey in the middle, as well as Andrew Gaff and Sharrod Wellingham potentially lifting another gear. From the new blood point of view, Dom Sheed has had a terrific pre-season, and should add to his 10 games early in the year, while draftee Liam Duggan should see AFL action soon. Alex Waterman, Brant Colledge and former Blue Kane Lucas also showed promising signs in March.

Conclusions
  • The Bulldogs have lost a lot from the midfield, and the Eagles from the back line. Even though the talent in the Bulldogs midfield looks amazing from a future perspective, it remains to be seen how they will go against a more seasoned midfield group. Minson is a fierce competitor in the ruck but generally plays a lone hand, while the Eagles ruckmen are both capable of performing well in the middle and up forward.
  • An improved Bulldogs forward line may look to expose the Eagles defence for height, which is unusual in itself from past clashes between the two teams. If the midfield manages to get some clean clearances they could be dangerous going inside 50, even more so if one or both of Mitch Brown and Will Schofield are out of the side through injury. Up forward the Eagles will be waiting to see what exciting rookie Tom Lamb can bring, while Josh Kennedy loves playing against the Bulldogs and will be keen to start the season off well.
  • I rate a lot of the Bulldogs players, but in the past despite seemingly having an edge in the middle the Bulldogs haven’t been able to translate that on field. In their favour is the lack of depth of the Eagles backline, and the fact the team is playing at home. It comes down largely to a battle between youth and experience in the midfield, and with the full fitness of Naitanui I think the Eagles can break even at least. If they do that, I think they have more weapons in the other areas of the park than the Bulldogs do at this point. Both developing teams, but I think the Dogs have cut a little harder.

Prediction: Eagles by 21.

Last edited:
Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
Isiah 40:30-31

"Also, the Bulldogs suck."
Isiah 40:31b

Simpson’s Season 2, Episode 1- Kneehouse of Horror

X6rI0M1.jpg

I heard a joke once. Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, “Treament is simple.. The great football team West Coast are playing tonight. Go see them. That should pick you up”. Man bursts into tears. Says, “But doctor.. I coach the West Coast Eagles”.

Adam Simpson had started 2015 so well. In early January, he sauntered into an office supply store that we won’t name until we get paid for it, and walked out with a White J.Burrows A4 4 D-Ring 25mm Insert Binder ($2.99), a Spirax 240 Page Notebook Insert ($3.61) and a Sheaffer 300 Black Fountain Pen with Chrome Plate Trim ($69.95). Moseying back to Subiaco Pattersons Domain Stadium [note to self, check what corporate bullshit these sellouts have whored themselves out to before posting] with a gleam in his eye and a song in his heart, Simpson strolled into his kingly office to begin his premiership manifesto- Das Fußball,eine Kritik der taktik und Strategie. He had found out that all the great coaches were doing this; Alistair Clarkson had famously written How to Lose Franklin and Influence Premierships in the lead up to their back to back flags, while Ken Hinkley- in true Port Adelaide fashion- had cobbled together the rather unusual Fifty Shades of Robbie Grey.

Opening the notebook to the last page, Simpson jotted down one line at the bottom of the sheet- and that was how we gone and won the premiership. He sat back in his chair. Scratching his head, he began wondering how the **** to fill the rest of it.

Since then it had been a series of unfortunate events, including a lawsuit for stealing large swathes of a certain book series for his sugar-bowl related game plan. Almost-as-good-as-Alex-Rance defender Eric Marquenzie damaged his knee and the hopes and dreams of Eagles fans in the first official pre-season match against Carlton. Masten had refused point blank to get a haircut or stop hanging out with poor influences such as Sharrod Wellingham, and the whole team had an out of control painkiller party at the house of a colourful Fremantle identity.

Training had increasingly resembled the Bataan Death March, with the young coaching squad trying in vain to simulate the pressure of a big game situation. After literally crushing several players in a pressure situation involving a bathysphere and an underwater city, ADAM Simpson attempted to move training back from Rapture to Subiaco Oval, only to find that the grass had been torn, scuffed and probably smoked by voracious little hooligans at a One Direction Concert- and Chris Masten.

Despite all that, there was one ray of sunshine from where Simpson was sitting- the result of a Priddis miskick that broke through the plaster wall in the room next to his office. He knew that the Ol Faithful Round 1 game against the Bulldogs was waiting to start the season. In a surprisingly unrandom random draw from the AFL, the two were set to face off in the opening fixture for the third time in four years, with the Eagles winning comfortably in the previous two encounters. He repeated this fact over and over as he lay in bed, gazing at the stars through another Priddishole. Sleep was difficult at times, but he’d been hooked up with a concoction from the Crowley-Johnson laboratory.

As he drifted off, random thoughts flickered and passed through his mind- matchups, key players, Dermott Brereton in a skin-tight latex skiing suit, Russell Westbook on a farm, stand-up premises… depth charts… lilacs out of the dead land… something about sponsorships…

groundhog-day-o.gif

“Then put your little hand in mine, there ain’t no hill or mountain we can’t climb. I got you babe… I got you babe”

Simpson sat bolt upright. Every year it was the same.

They were playing the Bulldogs again. The team had injury issues. They were expected to finish mid-to-low table.

It was 2019. Or still 2015? 2014?

Wallowing in eternal mediocrity. An Ouroborous, feasting not just on its own tail, but a bowl of gluggy vanilla pudding, topped off with rice and unflavoured cream. Drifting in the eternal football wilderness, waiting to be eaten by wolves.

West Coast by 128.
Good read, you should write a book, think you might have some talent in that area.

I think the Eagles are the only thing I'm optimistic with in life. Could have a measly 5goals midway through the last and be down by 5goals, still think we'll get up and win. Double your goal tally, 5 goals in 15mins etc.

So, I think we'll continue our flat track dominance and win by over 7 goals. AT LEAST.

The bulldogs will be HELL BENT on winning this to set their season up. Might not seem like much to beat a middle ranked side but a win over the eagles rather than Kennedy & co pulling their pants down is a huge springboard for them. Sure to be talking finals if they can manage. ;)

Kennedy to kick 6, our debutants star and are talked up on big footy all week (no rising star nom, AFL only giving Heeney & Cockatoo votes this year) Bring on the 100 point win.
We can have a great percentage and be top 1 or 2 like we were for a week or three last year.

18 players are locked in:

Sheppard Brown Yeo
Hurn McGovern Rosa
Masten Priddis Gaff
Sheed Kennedy Wellingham
LeCras Lycett Cripps

R: Naitanui Selwood Shuey

Lamb will probably play.

Ellis and Schofield will play if fit. Schofield a better chance than Ellis.

One of Bennell, Nelson or Butler will probably play.

I think McGinnity will be sub.

Sheppard Brown Yeo
Hurn McGovern Rosa
Masten Priddis Gaff
Sheed Kennedy Wellingham
LeCras Lycett Cripps

Lamb will probably play.

Looks about right - I'd actually have Bennell ahead of Sheppard, with Lamb as sub.

I think the Eagles are the only thing I'm optimistic with in life. Could have a measly 5goals midway through the last and be down by 5goals, still think we'll get up and win. Double your goal tally, 5 goals in 15mins etc.

Well done on your code hop to AFL Mr Dhoni.

Awesome OP :D

Crucial game to win first up for us. I think the Bullies will push us all the way. WC by 26.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from the stupid sexy Brereton earworm you have left me with, that is some lovely work Quinz. I really hope I'm wrong but this might be a season where a touch of self-deprecating humour will be the balm that again soothes the misery of meh.

As an aside, did you once use an avatar of R. Walls in a propeller cap? It always made me happy.

Sheppard Brown Yeo
Hurn McGovern Rosa
Masten Priddis Gaff
Sheed Kennedy Wellingham
LeCras Lycett Cripps

Lamb will probably play.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went with Ellis, Schofield and Bennell in the starting 22 with Nelson as sub. That might be too many defenders, but it would like McGovern swing forwards and release Hurn and Yeo to play further up the ground.

I'm nervous already. Why do I always feel like we're going to lose? I've said it before, sometimes I wish I could be sedated for the entire 3 hours of the game, then be woken up after it's done, and just told who won:D It shouldn't effect me the way it does, it's just a bloody game, and whether they win or lose has no real impact on my life. I like to try and tell myself that, but it still never helps.

After all that...........Eagles by 33.

Apart from the stupid sexy Brereton earworm you have left me with, that is some lovely work Quinz. I really hope I'm wrong but this might be a season where a touch of self-deprecating humour will be the balm that again soothes the misery of meh.

As an aside, did you once use an avatar of R. Walls in a propeller cap? It always made me happy.
Haha yeah I did have that avatar for a bit. Ill see if I can dig out the picture later.

Since then it had been a series of unfortunate events, including a lawsuit for stealing large swathes of a certain book series for his sugar-bowl related game plan.
Laughed hardest at this. Very fantastic document, Quinzate

Why is Lecca's injury apparently a monobrow??
It's a terrifying thing for a good looking young man. :D

I was going to put a Britta-esque wash away blue streak in his hair too to complete the 'non-injury injury' look but it wasn't working on photoshop, didn't look any good.

Team i would like to see.
B Bennell Brown Schofield
HB Hurn Mcgovern Sheppard
C Rosa Priddis Gaff
HF Masten Kennedy Wellingham
F Lamb Lycett Lecras
FOL Naitanui Selwood Shuey
INT Yeo Cripps Sheed
Sub Nelson or Duggan

Reports about Brown in the last week aren't great saying he has hamstring tightness. I also think it will be a risk playing Ellis against the Dogs so have left him out.

It was strange to see Bennell playing WAFL last weekend but he should be selected. Lamb IMO is a lock to play, i could be wrong.

The sub spot may come down to Butler, Nelson, Duggan or the guy in number 35 who i can't think about without wanting to slam my head through my room door.

Team i would like to see.
B Bennell Brown Schofield
HB Hurn Mcgovern Sheppard
C Rosa Priddis Gaff
HF Masten Kennedy Wellingham
F Lamb Lycett Lecras
FOL Naitanui Selwood Shuey
INT Yeo Cripps Sheed
Sub Nelson or Duggan

Reports about Brown in the last week aren't great saying he has hamstring tightness. I also think it will be a risk playing Ellis against the Dogs so have left him out.

It was strange to see Bennell playing WAFL last weekend but he should be selected. Lamb IMO is a lock to play, i could be wrong.

The sub spot may come down to Butler, Nelson, Duggan or the guy in number 35 who i can't think about without wanting to slam my head through my room door.

Would McGinnity potentially have value as a tagger in this round? The 'dogs have some speedy smalls. I would personally play Nelson over him but I don't think him playing would necessarily be as bad as people are making it sound. If he plays every week over developing youth then I'd be unhappy but it's round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back