Review Round 10, 2014 - Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown - 14 June 2014, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home. Shades of last week's fadeout save that it was in the third quarter, not the last.

Grimley, Woodward and Willsmore our best three in the first three quarters.

They closed the sale!

Victory by 21 points.

Must've been a seriously dark, wet and gloomy finale. Props to those who braved it.

They closed the sale!

Victory by 21 points.

Must've been a seriously dark, wet and gloomy finale. Props to those who braved it.

It was a beautiful afternoon at the first bounce, then by halftime the weather had closed in. It was so dark, the lights were turned on. Looked seriously apocalyptic out there.

So we've clawed back 4 points on both fronts this weekend from ladder-leading Ports.

As all that injured talent starts feeding back into Hawthorn, Box Hill will gain some pretty handy (and unlucky!) personnel. Should be a formidable line-up by finals.

Who had the better rucking day between Big Boy and Dookie Dasher?

Todays the kinda day that AFL/VFL players really earn their money. A great win given it was a close game and we were headed and went in behind into the last qtr. Langers lasted a qtr a bit was off with a massive cork. Iced and gone for the rest of the game. The Hawthorn listed players

Langers: Was starring had 12-13 possessions in the first but unfortunately got that cork
Brand: Played well in defence some great body spoils and brought the ball to ground was good all day in defence. Solid game.
Sicily: had a so so game where he went missing for patches some time qtrs needs to impact the contest more certainly better than last week
Grimmers: What can i say i thought we were going to see half a dozen from Grim today was on fire early when the weather was fine as soon as the rain came grimmers went missing which was dissapointing.
Hallahan: Had a dirty game but stood up to a degree in the last to get some important clearances.
Simpkin: Similar to hallahan not his best game but simpkin really put his hands up in the last to win it for us.
Lowden: Was good all day i thought did some very nice things was good in the last with height was able to knock the ball forward.
McEvoy: Was good in the ruck but not as effective around the ground as i expected him to be. Still in the last was a real presence to help us win it.
Wanganeen: Hard to say with wang had some periods where he was in the thick of it and then would go missing for large patches. Serviceable i guess his kicking stilll needs work.
Kelly: One of his best games in defence really read the game well one touch football and put his body on the line especially in that last qtr. Has he gained a yard of pace?
Woody: Real tough day woody out there today. Real guts and determination was really sore and i hope he hasn't done some damage to his shoulder. Took quite a few stingers in a row in contests and continued to the next contest. One tough bastard Great game son love your work.
Webster: This kid wow best game yet i did say he played well last week but he took it to another level. His running, chasing, tackling, recovery speed and one touch football in the wet was something else one of the reasons we won the game.
Willsmore: Save the best for last after a stinker last week Willsmore had a wonderful first half kicking goals similar to grimley. However the best part of his game was in the last where did numerous 1 percenters handballs punches and possessions that turned the game our way. Kicked a goal to seal the win just before the siren as well to cap it off.

Was a great game to watch in the conditions and even better when we won the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys, was at the ground nice and early to catch both games. I did a Tania Hird (took notes) and can give a few of my few insights.

Development Squad

Scores were listed above, Hawks got up by 9 mostly due to a good second term and a solid final term.

Very spiteful game early. Massive brawl at Quarter time and another small clash early second quarter. Don't know the names of the players, but 72 for BH was the main protagonist, and 34 for Williamstown liked the cheap hits.

We struggled a little early to dominate through the middle of the ground, and were just sloppy. Towards the end of the ground we ended up getting on top and the forward line started functioning again.

Best was Fenartic(?) who kicked 5, Little Big Boy and number 21 (small half back flanker)....Post also did some really good things

VFL Seniors

Scores posted above. We were controlling the game in the first half and then just didn't compete in the third. The rain came at three quarter time, and then we dominated again.

We were moving the ball through the middle very well and our forward line was working well.

Best in my eyes was Wilsmore, and by a long way, really impressed with this kid, and so are the coaching staff, i will explain below.

Woodward was good again, looked to hurt his shoulder in the first quarter, but played out the game well. We will hear about the shoulder later in the week, if he has done something.

Grimley was good all day, just competed and provided a target. I thought Brand was good also, and also number 20 whoever that was, Lawlor?

I was quite impressed with Wanganeen. Looked very composed when he had it under pressure and his skills were good.

Just for notes, I was sitting down sipping my coffee a few minutes before the first bounce of the seniors, when Clarko sat down next to me. Then Cam Bruce. Then Yze. Fagan, Damian Carroll, Beveridge, Rath (?), Ratten. They were all there except Bolton. Tim O'Brien also came with his girlfriend (decent sort).

Was fantastic to be next to these guys for 2 hours whilst they were talking about the Carlton game, and dissecting the Box Hill game as it happened. A few notes about what I heard:

Langford: poor game today. Asked Damian Carroll pre-game why he was dropped from the seniors, and what he had to work on. DC said that it was nothing specific, just that there was a number of guys getting the job done and no spot for him. Although, the coaches want him to work on his "ball use". To me that means his disposal needs work. Fair enough.

Wilsmore: Clarko especially was VERY impressed with this kid. Joked that we promoted the wrong rookie. Runs to the right spots, clean hands and a real good kick. High hopes for this guy and i can see him getting upgraded in the draft. Not a key forward but definitely a talent. Really impressive.

Woodward: as I said, has had another good solid game. Constant knock on Woody is his disposal. Can shank it at times. On one occasion when he turned it over, Clarko was so disgusted he said to Fagan he said "he'll never get a game until he works on his disposal".
Did hurt his shoulder early in the first, the coaches were VERY watchful of him. Looked bad but we'll see later. Disposal needs work but is giving 110% every time he runs out.

McEvoy: did nothing really. The coaches were not impressed by his display. I wouldn't be surprised if Ceglar kept him out for another game or two, until Big Boy gets some touch. Clarko commented that he had completely lost confidence in his kicking, pretty much hand balled everything. The coaches didn't like that. They also were cursing him for not getting to enough contests and/or standing in the right position, not a work ethic issue, more of him not yet knowing the game plan or reading the play the Hawthorn way.

By the way, Clarko was looking really well, said he was a few weeks away still.

On the Carlton game, they were all very pleased with the showing. It was great to hear them complain about the umpiring. Saying that Hawks didn't get any frees but Juddy was well looked after, "can't touch Juddy" DC said.

They were discussing the Rioli hit, saying as soon as it happened, Bolton screamed "WEEKS FOR RIOLI!!!". upon seeing the replay and showing rioli hit poppy, they all had a good chuckle at Bolts expense. Fagan said he can't see how Rioli could get suspended, can' grade the hit because there was no contact with the carlton player...so they see rioli getting off but don't know how the MRP lotto will act.

Asked DC about TOB, he said the coaches really really really loved TOB and think he is going to be a future star. Elite. Said he was really stiff on a few free kicks not getting paid, and could have had a bigger impact on the game had they been paid. DC wants TOB to fill out the frame over the next few years, but are very excited about him.

Phew, thats all.

Any questions, feel free to ask

Guys, was at the ground nice and early to catch both games. I did a Tania Hird (took notes) and can give a few of my few insights.

Development Squad

Scores were listed above, Hawks got up by 9 mostly due to a good second term and a solid final term.

Very spiteful game early. Massive brawl at Quarter time and another small clash early second quarter. Don't know the names of the players, but 72 for BH was the main protagonist, and 34 for Williamstown liked the cheap hits.

We struggled a little early to dominate through the middle of the ground, and were just sloppy. Towards the end of the ground we ended up getting on top and the forward line started functioning again.

Best was Fenartic(?) who kicked 5, Little Big Boy and number 21 (small half back flanker)....Post also did some really good things

VFL Seniors

Scores posted above. We were controlling the game in the first half and then just didn't compete in the third. The rain came at three quarter time, and then we dominated again.

We were moving the ball through the middle very well and our forward line was working well.

Best in my eyes was Wilsmore, and by a long way, really impressed with this kid, and so are the coaching staff, i will explain below.

Woodward was good again, looked to hurt his shoulder in the first quarter, but played out the game well. We will hear about the shoulder later in the week, if he has done something.

Grimley was good all day, just competed and provided a target. I thought Brand was good also, and also number 20 whoever that was, Lawlor?

I was quite impressed with Wanganeen. Looked very composed when he had it under pressure and his skills were good.

Just for notes, I was sitting down sipping my coffee a few minutes before the first bounce of the seniors, when Clarko sat down next to me. Then Cam Bruce. Then Yze. Fagan, Damian Carroll, Beveridge, Rath (?), Ratten. They were all there except Bolton. Tim O'Brien also came with his girlfriend (decent sort).

Was fantastic to be next to these guys for 2 hours whilst they were talking about the Carlton game, and dissecting the Box Hill game as it happened. A few notes about what I heard:

Langford: poor game today. Asked Damian Carroll pre-game why he was dropped from the seniors, and what he had to work on. DC said that it was nothing specific, just that there was a number of guys getting the job done and no spot for him. Although, the coaches want him to work on his "ball use". To me that means his disposal needs work. Fair enough.

Wilsmore: Clarko especially was VERY impressed with this kid. Joked that we promoted the wrong rookie. Runs to the right spots, clean hands and a real good kick. High hopes for this guy and i can see him getting upgraded in the draft. Not a key forward but definitely a talent. Really impressive.

Woodward: as I said, has had another good solid game. Constant knock on Woody is his disposal. Can shank it at times. On one occasion when he turned it over, Clarko was so disgusted he said to Fagan he said "he'll never get a game until he works on his disposal".
Did hurt his shoulder early in the first, the coaches were VERY watchful of him. Looked bad but we'll see later. Disposal needs work but is giving 110% every time he runs out.

McEvoy: did nothing really. The coaches were not impressed by his display. I wouldn't be surprised if Ceglar kept him out for another game or two, until Big Boy gets some touch. Clarko commented that he had completely lost confidence in his kicking, pretty much hand balled everything. The coaches didn't like that. They also were cursing him for not getting to enough contests and/or standing in the right position, not a work ethic issue, more of him not yet knowing the game plan or reading the play the Hawthorn way.

By the way, Clarko was looking really well, said he was a few weeks away still.

On the Carlton game, they were all very pleased with the showing. It was great to hear them complain about the umpiring. Saying that Hawks didn't get any frees but Juddy was well looked after, "can't touch Juddy" DC said.

They were discussing the Rioli hit, saying as soon as it happened, Bolton screamed "WEEKS FOR RIOLI!!!". upon seeing the replay and showing rioli hit poppy, they all had a good chuckle at Bolts expense. Fagan said he can't see how Rioli could get suspended, can' grade the hit because there was no contact with the carlton player...so they see rioli getting off but don't know how the MRP lotto will act.

Asked DC about TOB, he said the coaches really really really loved TOB and think he is going to be a future star. Elite. Said he was really stiff on a few free kicks not getting paid, and could have had a bigger impact on the game had they been paid. DC wants TOB to fill out the frame over the next few years, but are very excited about him.

Phew, thats all.

Any questions, feel free to ask
Did any of the coaches make any comments about Grimley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back