Round 11 - Melbourne vs Port @ TP

Remove this Banner Ad

Good photo from the AFL site. I didn't know Gawn (ruckman pictured), tell me more.

gawn-alice-springs-620x370.jpg
208cm. 2 knee reco's (one when he was 17), one in his second-(I think) year at the club. Dominates VFL both forward and in the ruck but the knees and related hammy problems have held back his AFL development. Still young (maybe 22). If he can get through a full preseason he can take over the number 1 ruck job as he's learning his craft in the ruck and is a really good mark and competitor around the ground.

Issue is when played as a second ruck he doesn't have the mobility to be much more than an ok long target. And he battles hard but against a team like Port he can't quite get the forward pressure or room to get on the end of a few when playing forward. Still one of our most exciting younger players and hopefully has a big future.

Expect he'll be dropped for Dawes this week and go back to Casey to play number 1 ruck but he'll get a lot more chances.

Overrated?

If you're asking me whether hawthorn are overrated, if people are thinking we'll be playing top4 footy with our current injury list then yes we're overrated.

Port remind me a lot of essendon of last year. They've improved a lot, and are definitely playing good footy. But they have to do it for longer to be rated with Sydney and hawthorn who are levels above everyone else.

I haven't heard anyone rate us higher than what we deserve... not many rate us as a premiership chance either
I think most smart people (and I'd include Port supporters in that) rate you guys third behind Sydney and Hawthorn and as the previous two Premiers who when at their best have looked almost unstoppable against good teams (their thrashings of Geelong and Freo respectively).

Would gladly listen to anyone plead their case that Port aren't the third or equal third team (with Freo and maybe Geel) in the comp. And I don't think I'm disrespecting Port at all by having Sydney and Hawthorn ahead of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're asking me whether hawthorn are overrated, if people are thinking we'll be playing top4 footy with our current injury list then yes we're overrated.

Port remind me a lot of essendon of last year. They've improved a lot, and are definitely playing good footy. But they have to do it for longer to be rated with Sydney and hawthorn who are levels above everyone else.
Surely nothing like Essendon. Remind me a lot more of Hawthorn 08 and their finals last year was a bit like Hawthorn 07. Don't think they are quite at that level but if someone out of Sydney or Hawthorn fall over they can make it to the grand final by finishing top 2 and taking care of business with home finals. Cast Kurt Tippett in the role of Cam Mooney and you never know.

Probably 1 more year or more for the likes of Wines, Wingard and Polec but the AFL is in trouble if a 9-1 team can't be a legitimate flag shot. St Kilda of 2004 might be a good comparison as well and people forget how close they got in Prelims under Grant Thomas and Hinkley isn't a crazy!

Excuses.

Na, Port are outright top of the table half way through the season. Beaten the Cats, Hawks and Dockers. Essendon last year are not even on the same page.

I think most smart people (and I'd include Port supporters in that) rate you guys third behind Sydney and Hawthorn and as the previous two Premiers who when at their best have looked almost unstoppable against good teams (their thrashings of Geelong and Freo respectively).

Would gladly listen to anyone plead their case that Port aren't the third or equal third team (with Freo and maybe Geel) in the comp. And I don't think I'm disrespecting Port at all by having Sydney and Hawthorn ahead of them.

Overrated?

hai guyz. port o wow. sah gud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back