Other Teams
THE BIG SOUND WEST OF THE TOWN!
Got the bye this week then back into it with Friday night footy at the SCG

Not to happy with that last quarter effort

but a big credit that was one of our better games

So despite injuries maybe no change

Morton did bag another 8 goals today

Hanners will be fine

Hope your right about hanners, I love that guy. See how goodes is feeling, I don't think the cats at the SCG are worth rushing him.

Sitting pretty at 8 and 3 at the halfway point with Goodesy to come back!

IN: Goodes, McGlynn
OUT: Everitt, Malceski

Goodes will be back yes.

I think TDL To make way. Some big bodies for Geelong there.

I liked Everitt in spells, and he received special mention from Longmire in the dressing room interview along with Jetta and Jack for his pace. Pyke might be the one to make way and LRT to second ruck if they think Mummy is fit enough to resume first ruck duties but I think that might be at least another game away. The bye won't help him in this regard. Ryder smashed us in the 2nd half.

Oh forgot about Pyke. Yes most likely Pyke out.

Time on ground stats for the rucks

Mumford 79%
Pyke 58%
LRT 93%
Everitt 78%

That's a big change from the 58% Mummy 83% Pyke last week, probably due to the hectic finish where we needed our best ruckman against Ryder. But signs don't look good for Pyke.

Yep with Grims time on ground stats definitely change it to Pyke out instead of...... I can't call Everitt or Malceski?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everitt was finally played in a role that suits him. The wing/HFF role is where he should play whenever he plays seniors. Good game from him.

LRT and Mumford each did a pretty good job of getting Fletcher away from the ball and curbing his influence.

TDL I thought had a really poor game. Made some really, really bad mistakes in the first 3 quarters that could have led to Essendon goals had they been playing decently. I hope he stays in, but thought he had a pretty bad game.

Pyke did pretty well I thought. Took some nice contested marks. I'd keep him in for at least another week to keep the strain off Mumford.

Mal didn't get to do much in his time on although he did lay some good tackles. He certainly doesn't take Armstrong's place after his first 3 quarters so Mal goes out. I think Everitt goes with him just because Goodes and McGlynn are both going to be forward options so he may become surplus to requirements. I did like his game though.

I'd probably go

In: Goodes, McGlynn

Out: Malceski, Everitt

Not surprised when a player comes up from reserves that the tank is a little short of fuel. Glad they played Everitt in the right position. Loved his ferocious corral and tackle at the end of the 3rd. He had the 'Bolton' look.

I think the whole team was spent in the last quarter. Maybe the 6 day break, coming off a wet game and sleeping away from home was enough to blunt them. The bye comes at a good time

I said before the game I was worried about our 'on ball' depth tonight.
We lost Parker & McGlynn and basically brought in 2 runners.

Our run was terrific but we tired in the last qtr and got belted inside all night.
We also lost Hannebery and with ROK playing loose in defence in the last qtr we didn't have much rotation.

Now Hannebery should be right and McGlynn will almost certainly come in along with Goodes.
Given Goodes will be underdone and probably play most of the match up forward and McGlynn may well play his fwd pressure role, I'd be looking to drop a couple of 'non midfielders'.

TDL & Pyke would be the 2 most likely at this stage IMO.

If Goodes and Benny come back, the forward structure will have to change. Goodes will play forward for at least a couple of weeks til his fitness is up, so we probably drop a tall. TDL/LRT. LRT has more value around the ground I think, but it's a split decision. Remebering that next game is SCG, and will be more stoppage oriented, two big rucks might be better than Mummy and a part timer. Did Everitt do enough, those at the ground would have to say, from the TV he looked in and then missing. It's a tough job picking hte bestteam, matchups etc, I don't want it

Think TDL deserves more of a chance to prove himself, i didnt think he was THAT bad but did have a quiet game. Everitt had a good game though but he'll have to make way for Goodes.

IN: Goodes, Mcglynn
OUT Pyke, Everitt

. Pyke might be the one to make way and LRT to second ruck if they think Mummy is fit enough to resume first ruck duties but I think that might be at least another game away. .

I damn well hope not LRT in 2nd ruck. He would have rucked for about 12-15 minutes of the game in total tonight.... Check his Hit out stats.... 0 and he was rucking in the last when Essendon set there goals straight out of centre clearances. He has a role and his efforts to ensure Fletcher didn't get a handle on the rebound was good but he's not a ruck.

I damn well hope not LRT in 2nd ruck. He would have rucked for about 12-15 minutes of the game in total tonight.... Check his Hit out stats.... 0 and he was rucking in the last when Essendon set there goals straight out of centre clearances. He has a role and his efforts to ensure Fletcher didn't get a handle on the rebound was good but he's not a ruck.

Problem with playing 2 rucks is that we are still not winning in the ruck.
Essendon won the HOs 53-35,the HOs to advantage 19-5 and the clearances 51-31.
Last week the Bulldogs won the HOs 64-56, the HOs to advantage 14-9 and we only just won the clearances 56-53.

Given the bye we should load up Mumford's training load this week and hopefully he will be ready to assume the no 1 ruck possie V Geelong (who aren't overburdened with great rucks in West & Stephenson).

If Pyke isn't clearly winning the ruck duels (14 HOs tonight) then I would much prefer him out of the team and have greater flexibility.
Worth remembering that what I consider our best win for the season v Hawthorn was achieved with Seaby & LRT against McCauley, Hale & Roughead, with Seaby one out in the last qtr after LRT was subbed out with a recurrence of his cheek injury.

I think Pyke is in the team to allow Mumford to ease back in.
When Mummy is fit to take the no 1 ruck mantle IMO Pyke will be dropped. He simply doesn't provide enough elsewhere to maintain a place in the team.

I think Pyke is in the team to allow Mumford to ease back in.
When Mummy is fit to take the no 1 ruck mantle IMO Pyke will be dropped. He simply doesn't provide enough elsewhere to maintain a place in the team.

I have no doubt this is correct but while Pyke got well beaten in the stat count have a look at the ease of taps to advantage against when LRT was rucking. At least with Pyke they had to fight for the ball, LRT they could go where they liked.

Geelong have no Ryder with a giant leap either. Mumfords not ready to go onas the pure number 1 yet and until he is he stays with Pyke. When he is... we may need to look at Everett backing him up. Got higher as third man up a few times tonight than LRT did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back