AFL Autopsy Round 14: 110 point loss to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger 5h5 hours ago
James Hird said this week it's nearly impossible to select 7 or more players with less than 50 games and win. The Dogs are 8-5 fielding 11
Unfortunately, that's an example of the mentality of the two clubs at the moment. Mick Malthouse probably thought similar also.

The downhill curve since mid-May has been terrible though, the talent is there though (particularly in your taller guys Hurley, Hooker, Daniher etc)

Unfortunately, that's an example of the mentality of the two clubs at the moment. Mick Malthouse probably thought similar also.

The downhill curve since mid-May has been terrible though, the talent is there though (particularly in your taller guys Hurley, Hooker, Daniher etc)

Well, we had 8 today I think. Not all of them particularly young though (like 18,19).

We need to take your approach. Trade those with some value (Carlisle) and go to the draft and hope to have some success there. I respect the way Dogs, Saints and Cwood have gone about their respective rebuilds.

Did he actually say "nearly impossible" or "impossible"? I've heard him being torn to shreds over it a few times, but I thought all he said was "the odds are against you" or something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anybody else see Hird smiling after the game as well?

You're walking out onto the ground to pay your respects to a murdered coach, you've just been smashed by 110 points... and you're SMILING?

I don't give a **** how funny the joke you had with Richardson might have been.

That sums up what is wrong with us. We are weak and pathetic. We show no intensity. No aggression. No toughness. We simply don't seem to give a s**t.

Would Allan Jeans, or Kevin Sheedy, or John Kennedy (etc) be smiling at a moment like that? After they've just been smashed by 110 points and they're about to have a minutes silence for a murdered coach?

Not a chance in hell.

I've been a Hird fan, but that moment was probably the turning point for me. Forget the loss. Forget the WADA stuff. If our coach can be smiling at a moment like that, then he's the wrong man for the job. End of story.

GPhonque, im far from a footy expert but I have to 100% agree with your comment. While I was watching the game they sometimes went to Hird and I thought to myself where is the passion he is just sitting there like had no understanding what was going on. If that was any of the great coaches they would have been furious arms flying about, smashing phones and barking out orders etc..

Did he actually say "nearly impossible" or "impossible"? I've heard him being torn to shreds over it a few times, but I thought all he said was "the odds are against you" or something like that.
Not sure, but it's a negative way of thinking if you're nearly accepting defeat that it's harder, if "the odds are against you". Your Baby Bombers team would've had a few under 50 games then, but you still had your champions of the 80s around I guess.

Anyways, all the best guys whatever happens

I can't see that sacking Hird at this time would achieve a thing. It is crystal clear that as a result of WADA's appeal the players are mentally shot. Unlike the Malthouse/Carlton situation changing the coach can't remove the fundamental reason for the players incapacity to compete . While I'd usually been as disgusted as anyone at the abysmal lack of effort shown today , I think the players can be cut some slack after what they've been through. For the same reason it is really difficult for us to really judge many of the players worth in terms of keeping/delisting. We all saw after the AFL tribunal ruling that many of the guys are capable of much better than anything being shown at present.
Financially I doubt we are in any position to sack Hird at present given we'd almost certainly have to pay out his contract. Given the cash we've burned on fines, legal settlements(Robinson etc) and legal fees , I doubt we are any longer a wealthy club.
We just need to hang tough until the WADA thing plays out. If we win again Hird should get next year to see what can be done without the Damoclean sword over players' heads. If we lose his position would surely be untenable and one would hope he would gracefully resign rather than force a sacking.
We get the chance for a good draft position. Unfortunately given the timing of the CAS decision our hands are going to be partly tied this year in trading and general list management

"I think history will tell you that if you play seven players or more under 50 games then your chances of winning are very low."

Based on the AFL player rankings, Heppell was the best player on the field but the Bombers had just four of the top twenty players on the ground. Far too many passengers today and only Heppell, Zach Merret, Hooker and McKernan could leave the ground with their heads held high.

Based on the AFL player rankings, Heppell was the best player on the field but the Bombers had just four of the top twenty players on the ground. Far too many passengers today and only Heppell, Zach Merret, Hooker and McKernan could leave the ground with their heads held high.

dempsey in the negatives lol

the majority of the boys are spent. they look mentally shot and are unable to make simple decisions under pressure. Who knows if some of them will ever fully bounce back after the last 3 years. one can only hope the wada s**t ends very soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back