AFL Autopsy Round 14: 110 point loss to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

So my plan from now would be:
1: Play as many kids as feasible for the rest of the year - sort out who wants to be here going forward.
2: Protect the core: Heppell/Zerrett/Daniher/Hurley/Hooker.
3: Be willing to facilitate trades for players that want out and go to the draft and bring in lots of young talent (I'd be thinking about 6 national draft picks as a ballpark number and 2 rookie upgrades in Mckernan and Mckenna).
4: Review the coaching (including assistants) situation at the end of 2015. See if Hird is up for the job of rebuilding/if he's the right man.
5: Retire/Delist/Trade all the players 28 or over that aren't in our top 10 players: eg Winderlich, Chapman, Gwilt, Cooney (we probably can't do anything with him), Fletcher (sadly we will miss you).
6: Review/discussion with the players 28 or over that are in our top 10 players: eg Watson, Goddard, Stanton

1) you can't allow kids to lead kids (see Melbourne for the last decade)
2) nothing to worry about with our core.
3) I'd be aiming for 3+ picks in the top 30. (I'd keep McKenna on the Category B rookie list - is an extra player on the list and try add to it)
4) agreed
5) disagree; I wouldn't trade out Baguley, guilt has been good depth, BJ is being played out of position. Agree on the rest of the 28+ y.o guys.
6) see point 5

The plan moving forward should look something like this;
1) NO player is safe or a lock.
2) reward form in the seconds
3) Have multiple game plans
4) play guys in their positions in VFL > AFL.
5) don't play favorites. Get some discipline across the club.

Oh please, like this is the worst day in our history ffs. Drama queens all of you. Fair weather supporters like you give me the shits. CRISIS TIME?!!? Go home, have a bex, take a chill pill and leave the histrionics to the media muppets you follow on twitter.

And yeah, why shouldn't you hold your head high? You follow the best club in the league.
Or maybe you should just have a hissy fit and become the Patrick Smith you always wanted to be.

I guess you didn't watch the game either? I agree with all of the above for some unbeknown reason

Do you remember how you felt when you found out that ASADA had laid charges against the players? I was angry and defiant - emotions that you could play good football with.

Do you remember how you felt when you found out that WADA was going to appeal? I wasnt angry or determined this time - I was sad, depleted, and thought "I cant go through this again". Imagine how the players are feeling. How are they supposed to be 100% focussed and play great team football in that situation?

I think it is very tough for us supporters to make accurate judgements of our coaches or our players after what they have endured and what they face going forward. Anyone that says that blaming what happened on WADA is a "cop out" is not thinking clearly.

There were many playing today that are passengers of that excuse who are not directly involved punishment wise in the saga and should be playing for their professional life...

WADA do not control our selections or game structures...

Oh please, like this is the worst day in our history ffs. Drama queens all of you. Fair weather supporters like you give me the shits. CRISIS TIME?!!? Go home, have a bex, take a chill pill and leave the histrionics to the media muppets you follow on twitter.

And yeah, why shouldn't you hold your head high? You follow the best club in the league.
Or maybe you should just have a hissy fit and become the Patrick Smith you always wanted to be.
Mate, we lost to St Kilda, of all teams, by 110 points.

That's not a normal result; it's a catastrophe whichever way you spin it. I don't necessarily buy all the doomsday stuff but you surely can't be surprised that people are absolutely aghast.

There were many playing today that are passengers of that excuse who are not directly involved punishment wise in the saga and should be playing for their professional life...

What I' surprised by are the amount of fair weather supporters who want to jump off now. Now!??!Of all times.

They were prepared to go the hilt with all the other s**t but now, because results haven't come our way they realise that their hearts as as yellow as Patrick Smith's arse.

I dont have a twitter account?

Bomber has been the only coach to date who was able to get the best out of Paddy - not even the much fapped-over Port coach ahs been able to get any more than a few flashes of effort.

Good way of avoiding the question - The form drop off of Ryder,Crameri and Monfries is not coincidental.

What a naive post - You only need three or four off their games and it permeates through the playing group.

image.jpg

What a naive post - You only need three or four off their games and it permeates through the playing group.

I dont think so with the focus on effort which is easily digestible in a loss if present... You can be in a hopless situation and still try Yac...

The majority today did not even try so take your bland 1 dimentional view in this case and shove it up your ariel stienberg...

Is it possible that it's as simple as the club having become a complete mess under hird's watch therefore he should be removed?? Everything has context, but isn't that the bottom line?? As an outsider, I'm just struggling to see the logic behind hird still having a job.

Is it possible that it's as simple as the club having become a complete mess under hird's watch therefore he should be removed?? Everything has context, but isn't that the bottom line?? As an outsider, I'm just struggling to see the logic behind hird still having a job.

I personally think Hird will be around until the WADA s**t is done. Then he is done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just struggling to see the logic behind hird still having a job.
Any person with a human brain can't see the logic. Their logic is, well he was a hell of a footy player and an Essendon champion, we have to stick by him. BS. At least Brisbane had balls and done something about Voss, even though IMO he was doing an ok job. He got sacked for less damage than what hird is doing to us right now.

What I' surprised by are the amount of fair weather supporters who want to jump off now. Now!??!Of all times.

They were prepared to go the hilt with all the other s**t but now, because results haven't come our way they realise that their hearts as as yellow as Patrick Smith's arse.

Not sure who's "jumping off?"

And I think it's more a case of realising that the hearts of the majority of our players - and in particular the coach - are as yellow as Patrick Smith's arse.

I couldn't count the amount of times today I saw guys not chasing, not going as hard as their opponent, not following their man, and basically not doing any of the things you do if you're actually taking what you're doing seriously. (things that St Kilda seemed to manage just fine)

Forget the game plan, forget skill levels, forget decision making... If you're actually putting in and taking the game seriously, going 100%, chasing your opponents etc and showing any ounce of toughness and aggression towards the game, you simply don't get beaten by St Kilda - or anybody - by 110 points.

We are the softest I've ever seen us at the moment. In fact, the softest team I've ever seen in the AFL. Absolute marshmallows. Who's flying the flag? Nobody at the moment. The sooner we get Hocking back, the better. He's the only guy on our entire list who has a bit of campaigner in him. And we desperately need some. And even he's gonna do sweet * all to improve us.

And no, this is not a knee-jerk reaction to one loss. We've been absolutely s**t since round 3. The ONLY good win we've had was against Brisbane. (lol) We nearly threw the Carlton win, the Hawthorn win would have been a loss if there were 2 more seconds left, and the St Kilda win was anybody's game. We could easily be sitting 1-12 at the moment. It's only pure luck that we're not.

I actually wish we were sitting 1-12. Maybe then people would be taking our situation seriously.

Runknisse your post was deleted so I can't quote.

How are we taking the easy way out of this mess? It's not getting any better. Surely the easy way is just saying "He's Sir James ****ing Hird, we'll be right."

The fact is Hird isn't up to coaching at AFL level, many of our players are playing without care and aren't that good anyway, we are getting belted week in week out, including a 110 POINT flogging to ST ****ING KILDA. Forgive us for not just being blind Hird followers and having the "We are Essendon" attitude, the same attitude that led to 34 Essendon players facing the Court of Arbitration of Sport for potential doping violations.

We are getting on the front foot and wanting to fix this s**t, rather than just taking the easy option, sitting back doing nothing and floating further and further up s**t creek...

I reckon there is a chance Hird will resign, for the good of the club and all that .... an outside chance but I reckon it might be there. He must see the effect this Drugs rubbish is having and must see that in some ways he represents that at the club. If he doesn't resign let him see out his contract.
Hi guys Iam not here to rubbish your club. my best mate is a loyal bomber supporter. I have to say looking at hird in the coaching box and the comment on TV he believed he can coach but others may not think that. My thought is he thinks his time is up and really his expression to me was he was just coaching out the year or till he was tapped on the shoulder. As a opposition supporter i would hope he stays because i think he is loosing the support of the players. So truly for your club sake he steps down or the sack him. You have experienced coaches as assistants who could take over the reigns till the end of the season. If you want a good coach you need to be involved now as both Adalaide and carlton are already looking and by the end of the yea another club could be looking for a coach as well. I have always admired hird. But with what has happened over the last 3 years regardless of whos fault he can no longer be your coach if yo want to move on and the longer he stays the longer it cold take you to get back. Just my thoughts and not here to bag your club out good luck for the remainder of the year

Not sure who's "jumping off?"

And it's think more a case of realising that the hearts of the majority of our players - and in particular the coach - are as yellow as Patrick Smith's arse.

I couldn't count the amount of times today I saw guys not chasing, not going as hard as their opponent, not following their man, and basically not doing any of the things you do if you're actually taking what you're doing seriously. (things that St Kilda seemed to manage just fine)

Forget the game plan, forget skill levels, forget decision making... If you're actually putting in and taking the game seriously, going 100%, chasing your opponents etc and showing any ounce of toughness and aggression towards the game, you simply don't get beaten by St Kilda - or anybody - by 110 points.

We are the softest I've ever seen us at the moment. In fact, the softest team I've ever seen in the AFL. Absolute marshmallows. Who's flying the flag? Nobody at the moment. The sooner we get Hocking back, the better. He's the only guy on our entire list who has a bit of campaigner in him. And we desperately need some. And even he's gonna do sweet **** all to improve us.

And no, this is not a knee-jerk reaction to one loss. We've been absolutely s**t since round 3. The ONLY good win we've had was against Brisbane. (lol) We nearly threw the Carlton win, the Hawthorn win would have been a loss if there were 2 more seconds left, and the St Kilda win was anybody's game. We could easily be sitting 1-12 at the moment. It's only pure luck that we're not.

I actually wish we were sitting 1-12. Maybe then people would be taking our situation seriously.
I agree with your top comment on chasing I havent seen that sort of none committal from your club for a very long time

GPhonque, im far from a footy expert but I have to 100% agree with your comment. While I was watching the game they sometimes went to Hird and I thought to myself where is the passion he is just sitting there like had no understanding what was going on. If that was any of the great coaches they would have been furious arms flying about, smashing phones and barking out orders etc..
That was my very comment to family members watching the game to day I have liked Essondon for a long time at least since sheeds took over any way but as you pointed Hird just did not to me seam interested in trying much or upset

Let the rebuild begin.
No more old blokes required, just need to do what Bulldogs and Saints have done.
Load up with high draft picks as I think we are going to lose a few players due to WADA.

True , but these bottoming out scenarios don't always eventuate in premierships do they or even hardly ever.. yep it's warm and fuzzy for awhile but seems clubs get used to "going back to go do not collect $200'

I dont think so with the focus on effort which is easily digestible in a loss if present... You can be in a hopless situation and still try Yac...

The majority today did not even try so take your bland 1 dimentional view in this case and shove it up your ariel stienberg...

And your response shows that you fail to understand or deliberately fail to understand.

But continue whinging !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back