Review Round 14, 2014 - Footscray v Box Hill Hawks, 1.10pm, 12 July 2014 @ Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah bit tough on you mate. I saw you follow Norf & thought wtf.

Btw, Kennedy has been a good pick up.
What are your thoughts on the following players :-
  • Woodward
  • Grimley
  • Lowden
  • O'Brien
  • Brand
Accept my apologies Floss :oops:

Woodward is a player I would back.

Grimley? personally think he will be delisted at the end of year. Has nothing to offer, besides being a big unit.

Lowden, not quite sure what to make of him. At the beginning of the year I didn't quite know all the players. But all I could yell out was, don't let 70 kick or handball.................

O'Brien meh... not sure what to make of him

Brand, today was the first time I thought, yes this young fellow has something.

What was up with Hallahan, anyone know?

He was a late OUT due to injury but despite telling us that several times during the telecast they never said what the injury was! I too would like to know what the problem is, hopefully something minor.

Last edited:
I know the game was on TV so i will keep this brief. Here are some thoughts about the game from whitten oval:

Grimmers knew he was on tv was being held off the ball a lot but focused on getting the free kick instead of going the ball. Too much flair not enough substance.

Woody getting awfully close to an AFL gig i reckon. Great game in an under his second and third efforts especially in that last qtr went a long way to us winning the game.

Hartung good to have the young buck back. He ran around like he owned the paddock as all good bucks do. Good come back game from injury.

Brand great game along with cheney in our best. Brand had some straping on his calf and came off late with a corked hip was iced at the end of the game. Should be right because of the bye this week. Improving by the week does judge the ball well in flight. He is still undersized.

Just one more player and he is not Hawthorn listed that i want to give plaudits to Luke Andrews great game son. Hard and tough and never give up attitude. Fought his way back into the senior team after his knee injury last year.

It was a cold, wet and grinding game and we came out on top in the end well done boys rest up for the back end of the season.

It must be said that Hale came to play today.
Sometimes when players go back to Box Hill after being dropped their hearts not in it.
Watching Hale closely i can say that he was there mentally and physically. Its just that he is out of form
He played but didn't really dominate. Will need to lift if he is to force his way back.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion guys, just really enjoyed reading through this match day thread after attending the game.

What a terrific game of footy -suburban atmosphere, big crowd for a VFL game, cheap beers and food and the chance to have a kick on the ground (I fell over more than once, not my best day at the office!). Great that it was on TV too, for those that didn't make the trek.

Alex Woodward looked fantastic today, is there room for him in your senior side? Seems a real find at pick 53, at least at this level.

And just on Footscray man - the guy banging on the fence and chanting in that guttural voice all day - he's there every week, AFL and VFL, doing the same thing. He was on the interchange bench for our game against Collingwood at Vic Park, and literally did not stop for the entirety of the match. I usually find seats well away from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive win today from the boys.

Gees Woodward was good, for someone who hadn't played any footy for 2yrs he is having a great season, surprisingly strong overhead and hard at it. Disposal needs work but would love him to get a taste at some stage this season. One of our few mids with genuine pace.

Also impressed with Brand, particularly early, took some really nice strong marks across half back, is very quick for a big bloke and seems to be putting on a little size which is a good sign. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few games in 2015.

Very impressed with Hartung, considering it was his first game for 5-6 weeks, obviously supremely fit. Reminds me a bit of Hill in his first season, classy, but gets crunched a bit cause of his skinny frame, needs another 5-10kg of muscle but ran all day like he has 10 preseasons under his belt.

I have only seen Woody play when shown on the ABC, but love his manic attack on the footy and repeat efforts.
For those who have watched all year, where would he sit in the B&F and how will he go in the Liston?

Hale rucked well and his second efforts were great. Wind, dodgy skills and good pressure made it hard for any of our marking forwards. Would love to see our clearance numbers when Hale was rucking.

Brand was good again. He can be exploited body on body but that will get sorted with a few more kgs. His burst of speed in the first Q followed up by a nice pass into the wind makes this guy is our best prospect at BHH.

The concern is TO. Just does not find the footy.

Hale rucked well and his second efforts were great. Wind, dodgy skills and good pressure made it hard for any of our marking forwards. Would love to see our clearance numbers when Hale was rucking.

Brand was good again. He can be exploited body on body but that will get sorted with a few more kgs. His burst of speed in the first Q followed up by a nice pass into the wind makes this guy is our best prospect at BHH.

The concern is TO. Just does not find the footy.
Agree Tim o struggling at the moment,looks classy but not getting it often..should of had a few bags by now at vfl level.

TO has kicked 8 goals for the year and been in the best twice. V the tigs was one game and TO was good, the other game was V Coburg and BHH flogged em. He needs to do more.

Not as concerned about Tim O'Brien as others in this thread....Just not solid enough to hold down a key position at the moment so there's no point in him putting his health in jeopardy just to prove a point.

For mine, O'Brien has a huge upside & is a highly skilled young forward who IS our future, alongside of Sicily & Willsmore.....Has all the tools to play at AFL & just needs another big pre-season in the gym & on the track....This season is all about learning the tricks of the trade & the team tactics.... He'll be fine.

Alex Woodward looked fantastic today, is there room for him in your senior side? Seems a real find at pick 53, at least at this level.
Not at the moment, kicking skills are bit unpolished and lacks the overall fitness for AFL level given he's coming off 2 ACL's in his first two years, real keeper though. Has an incredible inside game and everything he does is in full on attack mode.

Not at the moment, kicking skills are bit unpolished and lacks the overall fitness for AFL level given he's coming off 2 ACL's in his first two years, real keeper though. Has an incredible inside game and everything he does is in full on attack mode.

I will be most surprised if he does not get a game this year. He still has work to do on some aspects of his game but so do others who have played eg Langford, Hallahan Simpkin, Ross, Suckling, Duryea et al.
He hunts the ball ferociously and like Langford the energy he brings to the game is contagious. Essentially he is an in and under midfielder with very good hands who will dish off to the runners so his kicking is less important than for others.

Not as concerned about Tim O'Brien as others in this thread....Just not solid enough to hold down a key position at the moment so there's no point in him putting his health in jeopardy just to prove a point.

For mine, O'Brien has a huge upside & is a highly skilled young forward who IS our future, alongside of Sicily & Willsmore.....Has all the tools to play at AFL & just needs another big pre-season in the gym & on the track....This season is all about learning the tricks of the trade & the team tactics.... He'll be fine.

Not to mention his fantastic set of dukes! Just needs a bigger body and more confidence to be able to run and jump through defenders to get to the ball

TOB seems to have almost gone backwards this year. I hope the weight of expectation is not too much, with him being given the no. 23 jumper. Probably not but it's at the back of my mind given his form this year.

TOB is travelling OK. The coaches are more than happy with his progress. The 'kid' is 20 years old playing key position, I think we all need to cool our jets.

I remember when Roughy started , there was talk of him struggling.

TOB has a bright future at HFC

Just watched the game on ABC iview (thank you ABC). What a great game to watch, in such tough conditions, and a great win by the Hawks. Great to see Hartung back and both Brand and Cheney were very good in defence. Was really impressed with a couple of Doggies - Smith and Jong.
Also really enjoyed the commentary and good to hear Peta Searle actually provide some insight in the role of special commentator. Sometimes less is better when watching the game on tv.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back