Opinion Round 14 Changes vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mundy and Barlow are a bit of a concern. Very up and down is micky... while mundy has been consistently average for a while now.
Barlow has a reason for it though, he's starting as high half forward with very little midfield minutes. If you want Fyfe forward, swap him and Mick, because Barlow actually is a very good contested ball winner, and a much better ball user than De Boer.

De Boer is a step backwards.

Weller impressed for Peel in front of RTB, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but I'm giving a faint flicker of hope that he might get a run against Brisbane.
I simply don't understand the thinking that you wouldn't look to improve the team by September and Weller is going to be a jet. Plenty of 1st year players making impact around the league. Why carry blue collar players like Suban and DeBoer when you have a thoroughbred in the stable?
I know I'm a broken record on this but I can't believe they won't give him a chance to see how he goes at the top level at some stage.

Keeping De Boer in the side is like a dog returning to its own vomit.

I'd rather neither were in the team but if one of them has to be in the team I'd have De Boer over Subes. While De Boer is average at best at least it's over four quarters. Subes goes missing for 3 quarters of most games.

I just don't understand the selection committee with these two players. Never are they the difference between winning and losing, both are bog ordinary players. What would we really lose by swapping them with Blakely and Weller? Very little. What could we gain?

Weller impressed for Peel in front of RTB, I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but I'm giving a faint flicker of hope that he might get a run against Brisbane.
I simply don't understand the thinking that you wouldn't look to improve the team by September and Weller is going to be a jet. Plenty of 1st year players making impact around the league. Why carry blue collar players like Suban and DeBoer when you have a thoroughbred in the stable?
I know I'm a broken record on this but I can't believe they won't give him a chance to see how he goes at the top level at some stage.

I can only assume he's not covering enough kilometres in the WAFL yet. They wear those GPS things in all games right? Even as a sub, one needs to have the required fitness to adhere to the plan.

Just to add to what I said before, one of RTB's mantras this year has been that we are all chasing Hawthorn. Fine so if you want to compete with Hawks field a team like the Hawks that is full of offensive weapons and trust in the defensive team structures. Hawks don't carry blunt weapons in their team, all their players can kick well and hurt you going forward, not just negate but their overall defence is excellent because of team structure.

I understand playing Suban and Mayne and DeBoer when there are no other options but when you have more creative players like Duffy/Crozier and potential jets like Weller and Blakely then its just insanity expecting a different result playing the same old guys just because they tackle and show defensive intent.

If we want to find a few more percent we have to take some risks at some point. Now is the time.

Keeping De Boer in the side is like a dog returning to its own vomit.

hahahahaha

If I had to choose one of Subes/MDB to be in the team it would be MDB though, not that it would come down to that.

If De Boer was elite at anything the club wouldn't have asked him to take a paycut on a 1 year contract.

He's an elite tackler and has terrific hands in stoppages, also a very strong runner. I think he's less one dimensional than Suban anyway.

Just to add to what I said before, one of RTB's mantras this year has been that we are all chasing Hawthorn. Fine so if you want to compete with Hawks field a team like the Hawks that is full of offensive weapons and trust in the defensive team structures. Hawks don't carry blunt weapons in their team, all their players can kick well and hurt you going forward, not just negate but their overall defence is excellent because of team structure.

I understand playing Suban and Mayne and DeBoer when there are no other options but when you have more creative players like Duffy/Crozier and potential jets like Weller and Blakely then its just insanity expecting a different result playing the same old guys just because they tackle and show defensive intent.

If we want to find a few more percent we have to take some risks at some point. Now is the time.

I totally agree , I've always felt that Mayne, Suban & MDB are the weak links in the chain when they are all in the team , even one of them is bad enough. They have never really made a difference , Mayne was great a few years back when he was regularly kicking goals. I would make allowances for him to regain that form ,he would be an asset ,however the other 2 just don't cut it. Also Sheridan & Crozier do look like they may make it, but they are taking their time , I'm hoping one of them at least and better still both get to that next level , on par with lachie , Hill and co.
Time to blood Weller & Blakely. Definitely I would throw in Duffy in the forward mix , this guy seems to know only how to kick goals , isn't this what we need right now !

We won't rest anyone IMO. We need to start scoring heavily tbh....currently averaging ~87points/round but statistically the premiership side averages 100+points/round.... (both WC and Hawks are currently on that). We need to start to gel as a forward line group and can't have our 2nds in there to flirt with form. Brisbane were also pretty good against Adelaide and I don't think this will be a push-over game where we can rest players. Based on the last month, I wouldn't even be surprised if we fall over the line...again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

while mundy has been consistently average for a while now
There is something else at play here. It seems to me that in the past few games (notably against Richmond and Collingwood) the opposition midfield are not sharking Sandi's taps anymore, they are all acting as a (Crowley like) stopper to their opposing Freo midfielder. In other words, they are assuming our mids will get their first hands on the ball. This has seriously affected our clearance out of a stoppage as it becomes a quick (or smothered) kick instead of 4-5 paces and a controlled disposal.

I rate De Boer above Suban but it's splitting hairs really. It's been a fringe player as sub for weeks - maybe that's OK in a tight contest against good opposition, but if Suban is sub against Brisbane with no selection of someone like Weller or Blakely then you've wasted an opportunity. Suban and De Boer's ceilings have been determined, put them back in the box and find out what someone else is capable of. It might just be what the side needs come finals.

If Lyon can debut Max Duffy in a much more important match down at Kardinia last year then you can afford playing a 1st year bloke against Brisbane. It's not like whatever drawbacks they might have at AFL level will be exposed by Brisbane players - a quarter of their best 22 is at the same level of development.

There is something else at play here. It seems to me that in the past few games (notably against Richmond and Collingwood) the opposition midfield are not sharking Sandi's taps anymore, they are all acting as a (Crowley like) stopper to their opposing Freo midfielder. In other words, they are assuming our mids will get their first hands on the ball. This has seriously affected our clearance out of a stoppage as it becomes a quick (or smothered) kick instead of 4-5 paces and a controlled disposal.
Good observation, I think in this case Sandi needs to recognize this better and punch the ball out towards our forward line more often allowing Mayne and Ballas to get on to it.

I rate De Boer above Suban but it's splitting hairs really. It's been a fringe player as sub for weeks - maybe that's OK in a tight contest against good opposition, but if Suban is sub against Brisbane with no selection of someone like Weller or Blakely then you've wasted an opportunity. Suban and De Boer's ceilings have been determined, put them back in the box and find out what someone else is capable of. It might just be what the side needs come finals.

If Lyon can debut Max Duffy in a much more important match down at Kardinia last year then you can afford playing a 1st year bloke against Brisbane. It's not like whatever drawbacks they might have at AFL level will be exposed by Brisbane players - a quarter of their best 22 is at the same level of development.
Totally agree. I'd almost put money on one of Blakely/Weller/Duffy playing this week.

We won't rest anyone IMO. We need to start scoring heavily tbh....currently averaging ~87points/round but statistically the premiership side averages 100+points/round.... (both WC and Hawks are currently on that). We need to start to gel as a forward line group and can't have our 2nds in there to flirt with form. Brisbane were also pretty good against Adelaide and I don't think this will be a push-over game where we can rest players. Based on the last month, I wouldn't even be surprised if we fall over the line...again

No Martin, no Hanley and still no Rockcliffe.

No Martin, no Hanley and still no Rockcliffe.

Don't think Leuenberger is completely match fit yet either, quell Beams and Rich and go for %

And yeah it doesn't make sense to rest anyone this week, just back from the bye with another lengthy break before the Sunday game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bout of general soreness the week after though.

I hope with whatever side we choose, we see a similar result to round 14 last year :p (Fre: 105 V Bris: 22)! I'd be happy to concede a few more goals if it meant us to score a bit more :p

Don't think Leuenberger is completely match fit yet either, quell Beams and Rich and go for %

And yeah it doesn't make sense to rest anyone this week, just back from the bye with another lengthy break before the Sunday game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bout of general soreness the week after though.
I hope not. We really need to figure the Hawks out.

Rich is also playing with an injured ankle and keeps having to jab it up.

Hawthorn carry plenty of 'blunt' weapons. Billy Hartung and Brad Hill are hardly superstars. They can run a lot, but skills and hardness not a forte. Will Langford is essentially Matt DeBoer but not as good. Stratton is a reasonable defender without being a superstar. Puopolo is a defensive forward.

Hawthorn carry plenty of 'blunt' weapons. Billy Hartung and Brad Hill are hardly superstars. They can run a lot, but skills and hardness not a forte. Will Langford is essentially Matt DeBoer but not as good. Stratton is a reasonable defender without being a superstar. Puopolo is a defensive forward.

This is right. All teams currently carry average players. Hawks and Sydney have at least 2 or 3 every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back