Opinion Round 14 Changes vs. Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn carry plenty of 'blunt' weapons. Billy Hartung and Brad Hill are hardly superstars. They can run a lot, but skills and hardness not a forte. Will Langford is essentially Matt DeBoer but not as good. Stratton is a reasonable defender without being a superstar. Puopolo is a defensive forward.
Brad Hill is a jet.

Hawthorn carry plenty of 'blunt' weapons. Billy Hartung and Brad Hill are hardly superstars. They can run a lot, but skills and hardness not a forte. Will Langford is essentially Matt DeBoer but not as good. Stratton is a reasonable defender without being a superstar. Puopolo is a defensive forward.

Fyfe makes anyone into a DeBoer but IMO Will Langford is a better player than MDB

Puopolo kicked four last week. I wish our blunt weapons were so incredibly blunt.

I would trade deboer and suban for hill. And the Hawks still wouldn't do it. Agree on Langford but he was only in because Cyril was a late out.

Please, this post is ridiculous.

Brad Hill is one of the best outside attacking mids in the game.
Will Langford is 10 times the player De Boer will ever be.
Puopolo is their main defensive forward who's still averaging 1.6 goals a game this year. Only Walters and Pavlich for us are averaging more goals/game than Puopolo.

I wish our defensive forwards could kick goals like Puopolo then. He's opportunistic and exactly what we need more of right now. Only Walters is doing what he's doing and right now Mayne and Ballas are wasting their effort running around like headless chooks

Please, this post is ridiculous.

Brad Hill is one of the best outside attacking mids in the game.
Will Langford is 10 times the player De Boer will ever be.
Puopolo is their main defensive forward who's still averaging 1.6 goals a game this year. Only Walters and Pavlich for us are averaging more goals/game than Puopolo.

Brad Hill is one of the best outside attacking mids in the game - no.
Will Langford is 10 times the player De Boer will ever be - no.

Lmao.

Would have minded 21 possessions & 3 goals from DeBoer in the grand final

I can think of one of Freo's small forwards who would attempt that kick: Walters. Ballantyne would try to improve the angle and snap it, but not grub it like that. The rest of the forwards wouldn't. Mayne would seek the handball option, De Boer would try to kick it to a central position.

Last edited:

I can think of one of Freo's small forwards who would attempt that kick: Walters. Ballantyne would try to improve the angle and snap it, but not grub it like that. The rest of the forwards wouldn't. Mayne would seek the handball option, De Boer would try to kick it to a central position.

Fyfe would kick it too :p

I would hope most of them would try to center it.

It was an arsey goal that relied on a lucky bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap. I have been on the wagon for a while, but I need to get back on it after some of the stuff posted on here.
1. I did not realise Sutcliffe is the new whipping boy of the team defeated once all season
2. People asking for Ballas know jack about footy. Perhaps the fantasy players that look at these possessions they go on about. Which forward matchup do you think most teams think about when they look at us. I would say most would try and counter my mate Ballantyne then look at others. He is copping more attention than ever this year but still goes at it with gusto.
3. Clarke and Tabs are both not quite there. Hannath is a way off. Surprised Griffen doen not get a run frankly. They seem to be good one week, and absent the next.
4. Crozier was entitled to a start with consistent WAFL form, and he has been good as a sub, so there is no reason for him to go to the WAFL apart from the fact that many players are deserving a run themselves. It would be harsh IMO for him to go straight back to WAFL.

Last edited:

Are you suggesting we should bring in Jon Griffin?

Holy crap. I have been on the wagon for a while, but I need to get back on it after some of the stuff posted on here.
1. I did not realise Sutcliffe is the new whipping boy of the team defeated once all season
2. People asking for Ballas know jack about footy. Perhaps the fantasy players that look at these possessions they go on about. Which forward matchup do you think most teams think about when they look at us. I would say most would try and counter my mate Ballantyne then look at others. He is copping more attention than ever this year but still goes at it with gusto.
3. Clarke and Tabs are both not quite their. Hannath is a way off. Surprised Griffen doen not get a run frankly. They seem to be good one week, and absent the next.
4. Crozier was entitled to a start with consistent WAFL form, and he has been good as a sub, so their is no reason for him to go to the WAFL apart from the fact that many players are deserving a run themselves. It would be harsh IMO for him to go straight back to WAFL.

Sutty isn't a whipping boy. I agree he was early days his first two seasons. But he has been shite for large portions this year. Poor on the contest and poor by foot.

The rest I agree with!

I would hope most of them would try to center it.

It was an arsey goal that relied on a lucky bounce.
Really? There is so little space to centre the ball in modern football. Each extra link in a possession chain is a potential turnover.

Half the goals kicked these days are 'arsey goals' precisely because the ability for forwards to find space and do lead-mark-kick has all but evaporated.

Last year at the SCG De Boer tried to centre the ball in the forward 50 and it was a direct turnover that led to a Sydney goal. He would have been better taking the shot.

3. Clarke and Tabs are both not quite their. Hannath is a way off. Surprised Griffen doen not get a run frankly. They seem to be good one week, and absent the next.
4. Crozier was entitled to a start with consistent WAFL form, and he has been good as a sub, so their is no reason for him to go to the WAFL apart from the fact that many players are deserving a run themselves. It would be harsh IMO for him to go straight back to WAFL.

Sutty isn't a whipping boy. I agree he was early days his first two seasons. But he has been shite for large portions this year. Poor on the contest and poor by foot.

The rest I agree with!

Half you guys are s**t scared of Hawthorn. Wil Langford is not a superstar. He is poor by foot, often misses targets, doesn't have a big engine, and is not particularly quick. He is aggressive and competitive and will make life difficult for an opposition player in a tagger role. He's struggled to make the 22 at Hawthorn. He had 15 possessions against Essendon and 6 tackles and played predominantly midfield. He's had the odd good game particularly when his team have won by a lot.

Hawthorn are not perfect, and are not unbeatable. They have been the best for a few years but are getting long in the tooth. Brian Lake 33, Sam Mitchell 32, Burgoyne 32, Gibson 31, Hale 31, Hodge 31. By comparison we have McPharlin 33, Pavlich 33, Sandilands 32, Johnson 30. Not a lot of difference, yet we are the ageing list that needs to manage players and they have eternal youth.

Hawthorn have an amazing game plan put in place by a very astute coach, the best in the league. The Hawthorn plan has taken the Eagles a year and a half to learn but they look damn impressive implementing it at the moment. We don't believe them to be unstoppable and neither are Hawthorn.

This year Fyfe has risen above all. Others have shown they are rising with him, Neale, Walters, Hill, C.Pearce, Ibbotson and Spurr. The fact 1/2 our team hasn't hit its straps yet is scary for the opposition. The cavalry is arriving (Johnson, Dawson) and should be cherry ripe for finals.

We beat Hawthorn last year at Subi in an enthralling contest. They wiped the floor with Sydney in a GF who play 'strip' ball in the midfield. Sydney concede first possession, tackle the ball winner, hoping the midfield have run offensively and are out of position. Problem with Hawthorn is they are so slick they don't give the ball back after first possession. The GF was the perfect display of Hawks footy. This year they've looked far from perfect. Sydney applied an amazing amount of pressure earlier in the season, normally they would shrug it off and continue executing, they couldn't. They lost to Essendon, GWS, Port also so far this year.

Hawks have hit some form no doubt scoring big figures. They have spuds in the 22 like all other teams. Stratton, Puopolo, Ceglar, Hale, Langford, Hartung, BHill if all added to our list would not improve us much at all. The difference between Puopolo and Ballantyne is neglible. BHill and D.Pearce irrelevant. Langford and DeBoer very similar. The difference right now is at the top end. But the tide is turning, their oldies will fail (as will ours), im hoping ours are firing September 2015 and theirs are nursing bruised bodies after a poor start to the season and needing to claw their way back to top 4.

Only time will tell.

If it bleeds. Kill it. Or in the case of Hawthorn, if it looks like piss and s**t polished (that guersney is atrocious), it probably is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back