Preview Round 14: Richmond V GWS @ MCG - Saturday 1:40pm, 04/07/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Gordon's second half was decent. If he can contribute like that over 4 quarters he keeps his spot.

I liked Newys game too. Didn't get too much of it, but was tidy with his disposal. Happy to keep him in until someone knocks the door down in the magoos.

It wasn't the worst of 2015 Newman that's for sure. The problem with the knock down the door mantra is Newy hasn't been forced to do so a number of times to get his spot back so it's not consistent among every player on face value. McDonough must feel pretty hard done by. At least Morris was finally dropped so that's a start (assuming he's not rushed back in despite beating Sydney in Sydney and him doing nothing in the VFL).

It wasn't the worst of 2015 Newman that's for sure. The problem with the knock down the door mantra is Newy hasn't been forced to do so a number of times to get his spot back so it's not consistent among every player on face value. McDonough must feel pretty hard done by. At least Morris was finally dropped so that's a start (assuming he's not rushed back in despite beating Sydney in Sydney and him doing nothing in the VFL).

I don't disagree, but at the same time, if there is a single player on our list who has earned the right to come back in after limited time in the 2's it's Newy.

As tough as it is for guys like McDonough, the coaches know what they are getting with Newy - knows the team structures, is experienced and no doubt ticks most of the boxes in Hardwicks Richmond Way™

Respect for your veterans is an important part of building a clubs culture IMO. Something Neeld got completely wrong when trying to re-build the Dees.

Don't underrate West Coast. They are a good side, and I think they are a better side than we are currently

That game in Round 23 against North is a must-win. I am also sick of seeing us lose to them. We play against them as if they are the reigning premiers, and they play as if we are the wooden spooners

As much as I hate to say it WCE deserved that win and I hate saying that...a lot

Respect for your veterans is an important part of building a clubs culture IMO. Something Neeld got completely wrong when trying to re-build the Dees.

No doubt but there's a difference between respect for veterans and a gold card into the senior side despite all logic pointing against it. Such as a few times when he's been rushed back straight after injury despite poor form previously. Then again I'm of the opinion Newman was cooked and should've retired in 2014 so we can agree to disagree there.

No doubt but there's a difference between respect for veterans and a gold card into the senior side despite all logic pointing against it. Such as a few times when he's been rushed back straight after injury despite poor form previously. Then again I'm of the opinion Newman was cooked and should've retired in 2014 so we can agree to disagree there.
heres the thing though, this time was different, he had to play two games before getting the call up. both the club and newy know where its at. last year. i can handle him getting the nod over others for now. but he gets injured again he can work his was back in, again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heres the thing though, this time was different, he had to play two games before getting the call up. both the club and newy know where its at. last year. i can handle him getting the nod over others for now. but he gets injured again he can work his was back in, again.
It's nice to know he's around if needed.

I don't think we'll go into this not switched on. We're growing as a team and that sort of crap will stop. I'm not getting cocky about the game though.
I get what you mean. Losing games like this has to stop some time

In fact, we need to win big (without being arrogant of course). Let's be honest here, GWS are depleted and they are playing us away at the MCG. It is very nice that we can cause so many upsets interstate, but we also need to assert our dominance at home as well (especially against middle/low sides).

A team like Hawthorn, West Coast, Collingwood or Fremantle would smash GWS if they came to them depleted like this. In fact, Collingwood already has smashed them in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago.

Richmond needs to do the same if they are legit

I get what you mean. Losing games like this has to stop some time

In fact, we need to win big (without being arrogant of course). Let's be honest here, GWS are depleted and they are playing us away at the MCG. It is very nice that we can cause so many upsets interstate, but we also need to assert our dominance at home as well (especially against middle/low sides).

A team like Hawthorn, West Coast, Collingwood or Fremantle would smash GWS if they came to them depleted like this. In fact, Collingwood already has smashed them in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago.

Richmond needs to do the same if they are legit
Agreed. The boys should conduct a football clinic for GWS. Professional. Just go about the business and be careful. There will be some GWS players out there wanting to make a name for themselves.

**** how did Gordon get off with his elbow out like that. I guess no changes this week :(
They had no choice but to let him off.
When you give buddy 1 week for that everyone else gets off.
They should stop judging incidents on how hurt someone gets.
Buddy left the ball behind to bump his lucky Edwards wast hurt.

I like the feeling in this thread so far. Confident but not brash. I'm ready to believe we can get the win. This is mostly because I just got my reserved seat upgraded and the old seat was cursed since we never won when I attended and sat there.

Watching 'On the couch' at the moment, dissecting the 'Weagles web' approach to their defensive setup. Really interesting as the examples used were all against Richmond (they compared them to Freo's way of playing us a few weeks ago).... if you get a chance to see it, have a look. Basically it's an 18 man defensive setup that zones into 15-25 metre areas and allows the opposition to move unattended into non-dangerous space. So effectively, when they don't have the ball, it's a 18 versus 13 game, assuming some players leak off into that non-dangerous space (space that can't be reached by 1 kick). I'd combat it next time by playing man on man all over the field.... and by keeping the game about field position....match them man on man all over the field.

Also showed how the loose man hurt us (although McGovern wasn't loose, he just trailed off his man, as soon as that man lead into non-dangerous areas and got back to help out, because they blocked off leading space etc....

Not so confident ......................... 33 years of scaring i suppose

But we really need a big win for our percentage , I would even go as far as to say that if we lose this game - We wont make finals

Newman out for McDonough would be a dream but wont happen, Their midfield does worry me

Newman wasn't bad at all against the swans , he was composed , scored a nice goal, and he ran back with the flight to cause cotchins great goal , so therefore he deserves his spot. I just wished he got involved more , at least get 10 kicks a game as he's a good kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back