News Round 14 (Sat 27 July) Port Melb v Box Hill NOW AT BOX HILL

Remove this Banner Ad

Memorable game for a number of reasons ;)

Great to catch up with all the combined BF boys. Typical Box Hill v Port game close, tough and Hawks always on the end of some dirty play.

Gotta love the umpires. 5 frees in their (Port) forward line resulting in goals and only 1 (Spaghar :( ) deserved. They totally missed Toby Pinwill elbow Sam Iles in the 1st and in the last tried to take our free kick and 50m free and give it Port even though the Port runner had interfered with play!

For me the big highlights other than the quarter time break was Sam Grimley in the last quarter. What a run and goal to set us up and then the big mark in the goal square. By this time we where pumped, had the glasses and watched Grimmer set up to kick the goal. There would be no repeat of the Cheney miss from the seniors last week. He went back. Set. Looked and walked in and BOOTED the goal. Excellent effort.

The other highlight was how well in the 1st quarter we kept Port bottled up in our forward line, social club side. It was a great to the see the pressure applied.

We kicked with the wind in the 1st quarter down to the Maroondah Highway end but the gods did not smile on us in the 3rd taking that wind away only to comeback a gale in the last and therefore helping Port but for all that, The umpires, the Wind the boys pulled it back to come out winners by 15 or so points in the end. Well done all for a most entertaining day.

Memorable game for a number of reasons ;)

Great to catch up with all the combined BF boys. Typical Box Hill v Port game close, tough and Hawks always on the end of some dirty play.

Gotta love the umpires. 5 frees in their (Port) forward line resulting in goals and only 1 (Spaghar :( ) deserved. They totally missed Toby Pinwill elbow Sam Iles in the 1st and in the last tried to take our free kick and 50m free and give it Port even though the Port runner had interfered with play!

For me the big highlights other than the quarter time break was Sam Grimley in the last quarter. What a run and goal to set us up and then the big mark in the goal square. By this time we where pumped, had the glasses and watched Grimmer set up to kick the goal. There would be no repeat of the Cheney miss from the seniors last week. He went back. Set. Looked and walked in and BOOTED the goal. Excellent effort.

The other highlight was how well in the 1st quarter we kept Port bottled up in our forward line, social club side. It was a great to the see the pressure applied.

We kicked with the wind in the 1st quarter down to the Maroondah Highway end but the gods did not smile on us in the 3rd taking that wind away only to comeback a gale in the last and therefore helping Port but for all that, The umpires, the Wind the boys pulled it back to come out winners by 15 or so points in the end. Well done all for a most entertaining day.

Rusty......did you see the development squad game.
How did Brand and Boseley play

Rusty......did you see the development squad game.
How did Brand and Boseley play

Only got there near the end so I will not comment.

Good to see Clarko, Fagen, Lewis, Gunston & Duryea there supporting the boys.

Freakish goal of the day in 3rd qrt by Jedi (Jed Anderson) right on the boundary line in front of the new social club and just somehow sneaked the ball straight through. Shouldn't have been a goal but he got it, well done young man.

Ozzie's experience showed and he got us started with a goal.

Was impressed with Wanganeen's game, taking some important marks on the half back line under some pressure.

Kelly looked to have copped an injury worse that what it turned out to be. Trainers called straight for the stretcher and thankfully the umpires did the right thing and stopped play till he was off the ground. In the end he was able to walk off. Possibly back related injury.

I was very impressed with Mirra and Lock. Both consistently held good marks, kicked with precision, good game by both.

Lowden and Ceglar swapped in the ruck. Both serviceable.

Very keen to hear how the likes of Anderson and Langford fared. Awesome to see O'Brien in the goals. Looks a real marking talent just short of experience and meat on the bones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only got there near the end so I will not comment.

Good to see Clarko, Fagen, Lewis, Gunston & Duryea there supporting the boys.

Freakish goal of the day in 3rd qrt by Jedi (Jed Anderson) right on the boundary line in front of the new social club and just somehow sneaked the ball straight through. Shouldn't have been a goal but he got it, well done young man.

Ozzie's experience showed and he got us started with a goal.

Was impressed with Wanganeen's game, taking some important marks on the half back line under some pressure.

Kelly looked to have copped an injury worse that what it turned out to be. Trainers called straight for the stretcher and thankfully the umpires did the right thing and stopped play till he was off the ground. In the end he was able to walk off. Possibly back related injury.

I was very impressed with Mirra and Lock. Both consistently held good marks, kicked with precision, good game by both.

Lowden and Ceglar swapped in the ruck. Both serviceable.

Thanks Rusty.....
Any chance Lock could get picked up on an AFL rookie list from what you saw today

Great 4th Quarter by the hawks against a slight breeze. Good win!

Grimley, Anderson, Langford, Hallahan and Ceglar amongst the best judging by the callers.

Could not be happier for these guys to put in good games and compete for senior spots. Very healthy environment around the entire club and geez I'd hate to be a selector in the next few weeks if these fellas keep pressing for AFL games. :thumbsu:

Boseley and Brand were quiet in the first half but solid in the second half. Both took some strong marks and showed some dash. In the last quarter Boseley had a bad kicking clanger which could have cost us the game whereas Brand showed good composure and used the ball well. Anderson's goal was a gem, he was on the boundary line and kicked a right foot worm burner from around 20-25 metres which never looked like missing. His fearless tackling of the likes of Bonaddio was very good. Lowden competed well and won in the ruck. Grimley and Wanganeen were brilliant in the last quarter and need to show the same endeavour from the first bounce next week. I thought Litherland was quiet, Spangher looked underdone but had a good last quarter, Cheney was solid, Kelly was good defensively [he is very courageous and was hit by friendly fire], Osborne was very good early but didn't do enough to push for a promotion, Langford and Hallahan were good winning the contested ball against physically strong opponents, Ceglar was OK and O'Brien took some good marks and laid some strong tackles.

Mirra was very good when we were under siege and O'Donnell was once again good winning the contested ball and releasing the ball to advantage. I don't rate Lock as an AFL prospect because whilst he has a lot of ability I think he struggles physically and as a result lacks composure with his disposal. Iles started well but was slowed down after copping a Toby Pinwell elbow to his head well after he had disposed of the ball. Retzlaff was very rusty but will benefit from the game.

A great win by the Mustang Hawkers. Even when we were four goals down for a long period in the third quarter I thought we were a chance if we eliminated the poor turnovers when we entered the forward 40 to 70 metres and Port didn't add to their five goals from free kicks. The boys really lifted in the last quarter with Grimley rising from the dead and Wanganeen marking strongly and giving us run out of the backline after a good defensive three quarters.

One of the most impressive wins in recent history for this club. Port had the run of play and were well out in front. Some how we found a way to kick some goals in the 3 rd to bring back to a contest in the last and then ran over the top of them with Grimmers playing a master class last qtr.

Boseley and Brand were quiet in the first half but solid in the second half. Both took some strong marks and showed some dash. In the last quarter Boseley had a bad kicking clanger which could have cost us the game whereas Brand showed good composure and used the ball well. Anderson's goal was a gem, he was on the boundary line and kicked a right foot worm burner from around 20-25 metres which never looked like missing. His fearless tackling of the likes of Bonaddio was very good. Lowden competed well and won in the ruck. Grimley and Wanganeen were brilliant in the last quarter and need to show the same endeavour from the first bounce next week. I thought Litherland was quiet, Spangher looked underdone but had a good last quarter, Cheney was solid, Kelly was good defensively [he is very courageous and was hit by friendly fire], Osborne was very good early but didn't do enough to push for a promotion, Langford and Hallahan were good winning the contested ball against physically strong opponents, Ceglar was OK and O'Brien took some good marks and laid some strong tackles.

Mirra was very good when we were under siege and O'Donnell was once again good winning the contested ball and releasing the ball to advantage. I don't rate Lock as an AFL prospect because whilst he has a lot of ability I think he struggles physically and as a result lacks composure with his disposal. Iles started well but was slowed down after copping a Toby Pinwell elbow to his head well after he had disposed of the ball. Retzlaff was very rusty but will benefit from the game.

A great win by the Mustang Hawkers. Even when we were four goals down for a long period in the third quarter I thought we were a chance if we eliminated the poor turnovers when we entered the forward 40 to 70 metres and Port didn't add to their five goals from free kicks. The boys really lifted in the last quarter with Grimley rising from the dead and Wanganeen marking strongly and giving us run out of the backline after a good defensive three quarters.

Great stuff.....thank you

Fantastic day of footy. Blustery wind blowing strongly towards Whitehorse Road. The track was dead and no mud. We were lacklustre for three quarters but exploded in the last to run away comfortable victors.

Only caught the last Q of the Dev squad. Boseley was poor, his kicking was diabolical. Brand was FB got shifted forward and struggled to get near it. The wind was blowing hard and Brand just seemed to struggle reading the flight of the ball/where to run.

The BHH game was of a pretty good standard. Port were a bit heavier and had no problem throwing that extra weight around. Early it was a good old fashioned spiteful game. We played dumb yet the coach was able to get them to respond physically without the silly frees.

Hallahan was quiet. Was tagged by Johnny Baird and a few others. They really worked him over at the stoppages. He stuck at it and was still running long in the last but his possession count would have been well down.

Wang played off a HBF. Into the wind he was ordinary. If you need someone to wait under a footy, Wang is not your man. With the wind he was good. He reads the ball quicker than most and has surprisingly strong hands. Two good quarters and two ordinary ones.

Langers seemed to have a run with role. He has really improved his close in work and is now a genuine inside mid. Does everything well just needs to find more of the footy.

Grim was ordinary to poor early on. He seemed to be completely lost downwind. He had a run down back and had little positive impact. At the three quarter time huddle, a bug was strategically placed in Grim's orifice and he was electric. A 40 metre goal into the wind from the boundary, backed up by a stunning one hand grab, then topped off with a forty metre dash into an open goal. Was it Buddy like? YESSSSSSSSSS. Can Grim win a one on one? NOOOOOO.

Jed did not get a heap of possession. He doesn't have to. Super clean, courageous, tough, quick, athletic and those are his bad points.

Spang played FB. Was beaten early by Galea but finished the game strongly and looks fit. Cheney was given a lock down role on Galea and kept him honest. Litherland - hardly noticed him. Kelly was solid again. Tough as old boots and commits to the contest. He wore a couple of serious knocks and kept on backing into the marking contest.

Oz played out the game but did not do a lot of running.

A tough day for big guys, ball was swirling in the wind, plus the Port rucks are both big solid guys. Cegs and LL had a real crack in the ruck. LL has come along way since his earlier meeting with Port this season. Our clearance work all day was pretty good.

TOB. What do you want to see from a developing KPF? TOB has a huge leap off one step. First Q just walks up to the loose ball and snaps a goal, no fuss. When he did get out bodied - which was regularly, he bounces back with aggressive tackling and desperate second efforts. Damn I like this kid.

Spoke to cam Bruce after the game and he said they were very happy the way Litherland played today,did his job well

Thanks for the insight piesrull. Sometimes it's hard to comment on a player's game because as a supporter you are not privy to any instructions.

Easy Slips Catch, I agree Brand struggled up forward but he had a good 3rd quarter in defence.

Thanks for the insight piesrull. Sometimes it's hard to comment on a player's game because as a supporter you are not privy to any instructions.

Easy Slips Catch, I agree Brand struggled up forward but he had a good 3rd quarter in defence.
No problems,they are given a role to play.stats don't mean much long as they do there job.wangers was best on ground in the clubhouse by the coaches,he played well

TOB. What do you want to see from a developing KPF? TOB has a huge leap off one step. First Q just walks up to the loose ball and snaps a goal, no fuss. When he did get out bodied - which was regularly, he bounces back with aggressive tackling and desperate second efforts. Damn I like this kid.

Damn I like him too.

Nice write-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back