Status
Not open for further replies.
Date - Sunday July 5
Time - 4:40pm AEST
Venue - Domain Stadium

Preview by T Factor

Brisbane V Fremantle

Round 14 Sunday July 5, 2.40 at Domain Stadium

Fremantle (1st)at $1.03 and the Lions (17th) at $13.00.

LAST FIVE TIMES
R22, 2014, Fremantle 15.16 (106) d Brisbane 6.12 (48) at the Gabba
R14, 2014, Fremantle 15.15 (105) d Brisbane 3.4 (22) at Subiaco Oval
R12, 2013, Fremantle 12.14 (86) d Brisbane 6.10 (46) at Subiaco Oval
R3, 2012, Fremantle 8.16 (64) d Brisbane 5.5 (35) at Subiaco Oval
R14, 2011, Fremantle 12.16 (88) d Brisbane 10.5 (65) at Subiaco Oval

We have only won four times from thirteen tries in Perth against the Dockers and our recent form over there shows that we struggle to kick a score. We had a record low inside 50’s and a score of just 22pts in the wet in R14 last year and it paints a pretty bleak picture for this weekend at Domain stadium. The good news is that it will be fine and sunny and a lovely 21 degrees, sorry but that is all the good news I could find.

Fremantle

We all know what we are going to get from Freo, they are well coached and are a very good contested possession side which will give them first use of the ball and they will also apply pressure and look to counter off turn overs. They are one of the flag favourites and with an 11-1 record this will be a case of not how but how much. They have a powerful midfield led by Brownlow favourite Nat Fyfe and a dominant ruckman in Aaron Sandilands. Walters and Pavlich are their leading goal kickers followed by Fyfe and Chris Mayne, they share the load so our young defenders will be tested….again.

Brisbane

We look to have some big outs this week after a good showing against Adelaide, I was away on the weekend so have only watched the first half, I think from reading the review I might be best to stop there. Stephen is out for a few weeks and Pearce also with a slight hammy, can we catch a break this year at all? It is time for Leuy to take it to Sandilands, he did it a few years ago and has a bit of form after a good showing on the weekend against Jacobs, we will have to be a bit creative with our second ruck as we don’t seem to have many other options. The has been a lot of debate about where Leuy fits going forward, I hope he shows us in the next couple of weeks why he is a valued member of the Lions over the next few years. Merrett played his first game back and may get a call up the play in defence and also in the ruck, it will be touch and go so an interesting selection dilemma this week. Sam Mayes booted six so should come in for Pearce, we need to get goals from somewhere so his bag is a timely one.

Forwards

We have really struggled this year to put a score on the board and Freo away will be our toughest test for the season, not only do we struggle to get our hands on the ball, our conversion rate has been terrible. We need players to deliver inside 50 with more composure. Umpires aside it causes the most frustration how terrible we are in this aspect. Our young forwards are not given much of a chance with poor delivery, can we just give Dan McStay a chance, Jordon Bourke should get another crack up forward as the cupboard is bare for taller marking targets, Greeny needs to fire and look to bring his team mates into the game. They won’t see much of it so repeat efforts will be crucial.

Mids

We are starting to get a few players back, Beams has been the player we expected and just has been consistently good all year. The other new recruits in Christensen and Robinson have worked their way into the season, with Robbo getting named in the team of the week for round 14, we all love his endeavour so it was nice to see some reward for that. When are we getting Rocky back? We need him and soon, unfortunately it doesn’t look like this week, Redden and Rich have both had a poor year so we need them back to their best. Lewy Taylor is starting to find some form and will need to keep the ball moving forward, Freo will hunt us if we chip it sideways and backwards.

Backs

These guys need to get some credit, all under size, and under the pump they have done a great job. Clarke just keeps trying and for a young full back has done his job this year. Beasley just doesn’t seem to be on the ground in the games I have watched, but then again I don’t seem to notice his opponent so he is getting it done. I am glad Harwood is back, another that isn’t a great decision maker but he does add some run. Harris Andrews has been fantastic for a skinny 18yo he may get his chance as second ruck this week, good luck Harris.

Freo have been shaky over the last month with a loss and a few close wins, there web site is all about Chistmas in July, the Lions at home, 17th V 1st, we haven’t scored more than 50 point over there for a few years, no wonder they think it’s Christmas.

Well it is time, I have been sick by our lack of effort, lack of energy, lack of sprit. I hate losing but I have hated our pathetic efforts to the point where I have turned off during games this year, I never ever turn the game off. Christmas….bah enough is enough it is Grinch time Leppa, we have nothing to lose, I want to see us run, have some composure, not asking for a lot, just some when we enter inside 50, McStay to boot 5 and most of all Ballantyne to lose it after Harwood cleans him up.

Outs Hanley, Martin

Ins Mayes, Merrett

OK let’s worry too much about the result given their strengths are our weaknesses, The important stat this week will be…

Leuy mark watch……5

Was planning the weekend and was thinking when are we playing then I remembered we are playing Freo over there. No need to worry now.

Solid preview - I'm just hoping for more than 1 rushed behind in an entire half (2 maybe 3 at least).

Can probably sum up the Lions day in a single cat gif though
qOAPk.gif

We are going to get absolutely destroyed this week. Not sure I can watch it. Was soul destroying last time we played them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any way that Hammelmann could play? I'm not sure on the rookie listed player stuff... does he have to be upgraded to play?
Yes he would have to be upgraded to play. Don't think he will though. He isn't setting the NEAFL on fire, and even if he was he is too raw. Very unlikely he'd make a contest with his frame.

$2.10 Freo by 60+ is (sadly) a fairly decent betting proposition.
Ross rarely goes in for the kill,tread warily.His mo seems to go with banking the 4 points and player preservation.

Side I hope they field from our available players.

FB: Paparone - Clarke - Andrews
HB: Zorko - Merrett - Harwood
C: Hanley - DBeams - Rich
HF: Mayes - McStay - Christensen
FF: Green - Bourke - Taylor
Foll: Leuen. - Robinson - Redden

Bench: Aish, Bewick, Robertson(if fit)
Sub: Adcock

Ins Mayes, Merrett, Robertson
Outs: Martin, Beasley, Cutler

** Don't know the status of Gardiner.
** Zorko looked good off half back last week. It Provides him a running role that suits him.
** The above ins would help me feel better about Martin not playing

** Adcock back in if Robertson or Hanley don't pull up. (Lester sub). Cutler and Adcock if they both don't with Lester the sub.

** Harwood to shave his head again.... Just looks tougher.

Last edited:
Side I hope they field from our available players.

FB: Paparone - Clarke - Andrews
HB: Zorko - Merrett - Harwood
C: Hanley - DBeams - Rich
HF: Mayes - McStay - Christensen
FF: Green - Bourke - Taylor
Foll: Leuen. - Robinson - Redden

Bench: Aish, Bewick, Robertson(if fit)
Sub: Adcock

Ins Mayes, Merrett, Robertson
Outs: Martin, Beasley, Cutler

** Don't know the status of Gardiner.
** Zorko looked good off half back last week. It Provides him a running role that suits him.
** The above ins would help me feel better about Martin not playing

** Adcock back in if Robertson or Hanley don't pull up. (Lester sub). Cutler and Adcock if they both don't with Lester the sub.

** Harwood to shave his head again.... Just looks tougher.
Adcock was in last week. Played well too

At least we don't have to contend with Van Berlo this week.:cool:

I'm holding out hope that we can get within 6 or 7 goals, I understand we are up against it but I have faith that we can minimize the carnage.

The extra 2 days break Freo got before this game will make all the difference. Screwed over by the AFL administration again.

The extra 2 days break Freo got before this game will make all the difference. Screwed over by the AFL administration again.
The AFL obviously knew they would get tired, last four games...

Rnd9 - Only kicked 68 pts to beat Adelaide by 11pts
Rnd10 - only kick 70pts when defeated by the tiges by 27pts
Rnd11 - only kick 53 to fall in over the GCS by 7pts
Rnd12 - bye
Rnd13 - kick 80pts, scores level against pies at 3/4 time and again only win by 7pts

Totals for the last 4 rounds 271pts FOR and 273pts AGAINST

For the record - we have kicked 296 points in our last 4 games [but yeah... have allowed the opposition to kick 433pts - hey just try to find a positive :p]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back