Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts - Round 14 vs Port Adelaide - SCG Thurday Night Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'd prefer to leave Sam Reid back, and I'm not sure we lose that much the way Richards has been playing back. Still giving me the you know whats imagining what Port's forwards are going to do to Richards.

Big game for Nick Smith this week.

If Reid stays back Goodes is our main forward target that has any height and or experience.

That ain't going to work out well at all in my useless opinion.

It has fine for him to trundle around with no defender or the fourth one but now he will have to deal with all sorts of attention.

I truly hope I am wrong.

If Reid stays back Goodes is our main forward target that has any height and or experience.

That ain't going to work out well at all in my useless opinion.

It has fine for him to trundle around with no defender or the fourth one but now he will have to deal with all sorts of attention.

I truly hope I am wrong.

Goodes as a FF, then have a bunch of smalls like Parker, Rohan, etc. Basically it is a small forward line, but it will bring defensive pressure. Means we have to be precise going forward though as the long bomb forward is more useless than ever.

Looking forward to the match committee moves this week. Could be the catalyst we need for a longer list of goal kickers. Prefer to see Reid stay back this week, no point putting him forward just for the one week.

Pyke in for Tip
Towers in for Bud
BJ in for Shaw
Zak full game down back, Rohan sub - can't run out a full game, may as well have him impact in the last 1.5 quarters.
Rohan was one of the best last week. Only ran out of steam because he gave 110% for 2 quarters. Maybe tying him down in the forward line might restrict his distance covered and help him conserve energy. Would hate to see him named sub.

The other option could be to play a midfielder forward, maybe a Parker or someone like that.
I love Parker forward - strong mark and a good kick. We could do much worse!

I love Parker forward - strong mark and a good kick. We could do much worse!

The only issue is that it would require the other mids to do something. I am still fuming over the lack of support Parker got last Friday except Hanners for a half. Where were the rest of them? On a beach holiday?

The reality is these smalls will all take shifts at CHF, I can't see them giving out too many debuts this week given the suspensions are only 1 week only.

The only issue is that it would require the other mids to do something. I am still fuming over the lack of support Parker got last Friday except Hanners for a half. Where were the rest of them? On a beach holiday?

The reality is these smalls will all take shifts at CHF, I can't see them giving out too many debuts this week given the suspensions are only 1 week only.
What we could do with over the next 8 weeks, in a weird way, is a few minor injuries that open up spots for 2-4 weeks and allow the youngsters a few games to prove themselves. Obviously it's probably better not to happen, but somehow we need a few more guys to have their chance before we get to the pointy end.

What we could do with over the next 8 weeks, in a weird way, is a few minor injuries that open up spots for 2-4 weeks and allow the youngsters a few games to prove themselves. Obviously it's probably better not to happen, but somehow we need a few more guys to have their chance before we get to the pointy end.

Then watch horse bring back Brandon Jack, Bird, etc.

We missed a golden opportunity in the Carlton, GC period where we played them back to back. Could have easily given a debut or two. Instead we went conservative again.

Goodes as a FF, then have a bunch of smalls like Parker, Rohan, etc. Basically it is a small forward line, but it will bring defensive pressure. Means we have to be precise going forward though as the long bomb forward is more useless than ever.

Goodes defensive pressure is zero. What you then are relying on him to do as well is bring it to ground probably being double teamed and with the ball being delivered like crap to him. He ain't Goodes of 2012 let alone earlier years.

I can't work out why the board thinks that all of sudden if we go small forward and HAVE to pick targets we WILL.

Surely if we possessed that skill-set or game-plan we would do it now. I would have thought sensible delivery to guys called Franklin and Tippett would be a hell of lot more use than to BJ and Towers.

Don't think Horse will go small anyway. He never has in the past.

Reid has to go forward and I imagine Pyke will probably spend some time resting in the square too. No idea who backs Pyke up in the ruck. I guess it either has to be Reid or we bring in Nankervis.

Goodes defensive pressure is zero. What you then are relying on him to do as well is bring it to ground probably being double teamed and with the ball being delivered like crap to him. He ain't Goodes of 2012 let alone earlier years.

I can't work out why the board thinks that all of sudden if we go small forward and HAVE to pick targets we WILL.

Surely if we possessed that skill-set or game-plan we would do it now. I would have thought sensible delivery to guys called Franklin and Tippett would be a hell of lot more use than to BJ and Towers.

Don't think Horse will go small anyway. He never has in the past.

Each to their own, I get what you are saying. I just would do it differently. We need blokes than can kick the ball. I still don't get why we have 2 of our best kicks playing in the NEAFL.

Rohan was one of the best last week. Only ran out of steam because he gave 110% for 2 quarters. Maybe tying him down in the forward line might restrict his distance covered and help him conserve energy. Would hate to see him named sub.

I agree, when he went missing in the second half it was symptomatic of the whole team being down. However, he has historically been one of our better subs. I'd prefer him going 110% when the game is there to be won, rather than doing all the hard work early and getting wasted by his shoddy teammates.

Whilst our delivery hasn't been great this year, sometimes buddy does make it look worse than it is. I'm so sick of seeing him slow down and try to take a chest mark only four the defender to get a fist in.

Rohans marking last week was fantastic. play him out of Chf and he can double up crumbing off Goodes and likely Towers.

This would have been the perfect game to bring in Membery haha :(

I agree, when he went missing in the second half it was symptomatic of the whole team being down. However, he has historically been one of our better subs. I'd prefer him going 110% when the game is there to be won, rather than doing all the hard work early and getting wasted by his shoddy teammates.

That is fine...but then you decide to bring in Brandon Jack, who has absolutely no impact. Did you not see his game at AFL level this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst our delivery hasn't been great this year, sometimes buddy does make it look worse than it is. I'm so sick of seeing him slow down and try to take a chest mark only four the defender to get a fist in.

Rohans marking last week was fantastic. play him out of Chf and he can double up crumbing off Goodes and likely Towers.

This would have been the perfect game to bring in Membery haha :(

As a KP forward you would go insane with our delivery. Look at how precise Fremantle this year and Hawthorn are. They have elite ball users in their side. If we don't get some good ball users in the side when turnovers are the death nail in today's football we are more dumb than I thought.

Reid has to go forward and I imagine Pyke will probably spend some time resting in the square too. No idea who backs Pyke up in the ruck. I guess it either has to be Reid or we bring in Nankervis.

Reid would seem to be the most obvious option to go forward but Longmire has been using him as 3rd man up guy over the last few weeks so maybe it's not as simple as that.

I'd certainly not want Reid to be our 2nd ruckman. I'd love to see Pyke and Nankervis as the duo for this week but I suspect it'll be Pyke and Derickx.

Was one of the best in the ressies, he tackled well and brought intensity in the 5 AFL mins he played this year.

No he didn't bring intensity, he was ordinary, so many fumbles and that is the last thing we need. We need players that are clean.

Reid would seem to be the most obvious option to go forward but Longmire has been using him as 3rd man up guy over the last few weeks so maybe it's not as simple as that.

I'd certainly not want Reid to be our 2nd ruckman. I'd love to see Pyke and Nankervis as the duo for this week but I suspect it'll be Pyke and Derickx.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. I haven't seen Nankervis at all but surely if we're after a primary forward/2nd ruck he's a better choice than Derickx?

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. I haven't seen Nankervis at all but surely if we're after a primary forward/2nd ruck he's a better choice than Derickx?

In reality, I wouldn't expect Nankervis to do much at all if he gets promoted (he would probably contribute roughly what Derickx would) but for the sake of seeing if he's got something I'd rather Nankervis. It'd be his debut, he'd be competing against Lobbe and maybe a returning Ryder and would have to compete against the likes of Carlile, Trengove, Hombsch, Jonas when playing forward. Difficult for a first-gamer, to say the least.

If I was sure Derickx would provide something more than Nankervis, I'd go with him. But they're roughly equal to me so I'd give the game to the younger Nankervis.

My vote is Jack, Towers and Pyke to come in ... Tom D out. Play Reid and Towers in the forward/second ruck position.

I love Reid down back but he is in the team as a switch player, so it would be stupid to not use that.

Oh yeah - Shaw to sub.

Looking forward to the match committee moves this week. Could be the catalyst we need for a longer list of goal kickers. Prefer to see Reid stay back this week, no point putting him forward just for the one week.

Pyke in for Tip
Towers in for Bud
BJ in for Shaw
Zak full game down back, Rohan sub - can't run out a full game, may as well have him impact in the last 1.5 quarters.
No way Rohan sub

Yeah alright mate. I watched the same match you did against the Blues and thought he was fine.

For the record I don't mind the idea of Brandon Jack playing games...but not this week. We already have 2 changes, we are not going to have another one. McVeigh, Parker, etc can do that small forward role this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back