Remove this Banner Ad

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Call me out for rushing into it, but this is beginning to shape up as the H&A matchup of the season.

Hawthorn, the reigning champs & worthy flag favourites taking on a side that could very likely be sitting at 13-0 going into the game. Anything can happen in between now and then, from large injury tolls to sizeable dips in form, however I just can't see the Dockers dropping any points between now and July 12th:

Fixture   Results   fremantlefc.com.au.png

Notice the Round 15 venue? If Hawthorn don't suddenly drop off and Freo sustain their phenomenal start to the season, the AFL could be looking red faced in regard to the fixturing.

I recall a similar situation in 2009.. St Kilda and Geelong went into a mid-season game both undefeated. Such a matchup would've attracted at least 80,000 to the MCG. Thing is, the Saints play their home matches at Etihad. There was much deliberation as to what the AFL should do regarding the fixture; move it to the MCG, where 30,000 more patrons would be able to see an epic contest, or just leave it, preventing any possible complications regarding memberships/ticketing/the Docklands contract?

Ultimately they chose the latter option. Channel 7 convinced the AFL to start the match an hour later in order to maximise TV ratings & upon conclusion run right into the News, but that was the only relevant alteration.

54,444 fans flocked through the Docklands gates that day, setting a ground attendance record for an AFL game which is yet to be broken.

Hawthorn/Freo wouldn't attract any more than 70,000 to this fixture if it were at the MCG, but the expectation of this fixture surely warrants an attendance far greater than a measly 20,000 which'd turn up to York Park.

The official website of the Australian Football League   AFL.com.au.png

Oh and also, there aren't any other matches scheduled in Melbourne on that day...

Essendon are capable of beating any side on their day. Thing is, they're very unpredictable.

Unless they play a blinder ala-Hawthorn in Rd 2, they're not going to trouble Freo at Subi.

Adelaide away is really the only other danger game in that time frame.

Fremantle never take a full strength team to York Park. They pretty much concede the game every time they're scheduled to play there, being routinely flogged by Hawthorn each time. I imagine it'll be much the same this year.

Freo won't be unbeaten by Round 15. They're likely to drop a game between now and then, with the Roos, Crows or even the ever improving Dogs might be a chance to get over them.

On the last months form though, they'll have their way with Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice the Round 15 venue? If Hawthorn don't suddenly drop off and Freo sustain their phenomenal start to the season, the AFL could be looking red faced in regard to the fixturing.

I recall a similar situation in 2009.. St Kilda and Geelong went into a mid-season game both undefeated. Such a matchup would've attracted at least 80,000 to the MCG. Thing is, the Saints play their home matches at Etihad. There was much deliberation as to what the AFL should do regarding the fixture; move it to the MCG, where 30,000 more patrons would be able to see an epic contest, or just leave it, preventing any possible complications regarding memberships/ticketing/the Docklands contract?

Ultimately they chose the latter option. Channel 7 convinced the AFL to start the match an hour later in order to maximise TV ratings & upon conclusion run right into the News, but that was the only relevant alteration.

54,444 fans flocked through the Docklands gates that day, setting a ground attendance record for an AFL game which is yet to be broken.

Hawthorn/Freo wouldn't attract any more than 70,000 to this fixture if it were at the MCG, but the expectation of this fixture surely warrants an attendance far greater than a measly 20,000 which'd turn up to York Park.

129857_bcd5b5ce5d21c7f462974f658e37bb97.png

Oh and also, there aren't any other matches scheduled in Melbourne on that day...

I reckon the club would love for the game to be moved to the MCG, doubt the AFL will do it though.

Tassie deserve a decent game every now and then

I'd be really surprised if Freo are still undefeated by then, Bulldogs at Etihad is looking very concerning, as well as the Crows depending on which team turns up. Even still, I think it's really stupid that they've fixtured it in Tassie. A grand final replay from 1.5 years ago with a team that has 70,000+ members can't draw a crowd apparently.

I'd be really surprised if Freo are still undefeated by then, Bulldogs at Etihad is looking very concerning, as well as the Crows depending on which team turns up. Even still, I think it's really stupid that they've fixtured it in Tassie. A grand final replay from 1.5 years ago with a team that has 70,000+ members can't draw a crowd apparently.

It's the AFL fault scheduling it in Tasmania. Hawthorn and Fremantle have only played each other in Melbourne only three times in the home & away season since 2000.

Chances are we'll drop a few games before then, but I agree it's disgusting that we're forced to play there every other season, especially since this was a Grand Final match up just 2 years ago!

Would be a genuine blockbuster at the G but it'll likely be a boring affair at that shithole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back