Round 15: Hawthorn vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not worried about Pav in any conditions. Patterson long and skinny / Skilled long and skinny.. Aurora is quite wide and teams struggle with the wings due to the wind which tends to blow 3/4 left to right on the screen and away from the broadcast wing. It's a very strange ground to play on and that is why we have such a pronounced advantage down there.

Agree ....that said roughy loss didn't hurt you v pies that much

Reckon that will v freo though ...

I think Hawks form this year has been far more up and down that Freos

Agree ....that said roughy loss didn't hurt you v pies that much

Reckon that will v freo though ...

I think Hawks form this year has been far more up and down that Freos

Yeah would have loved Rough in at the centre clearances against Freo to provide extra grunt. Potentially a great battle on the wings with Smith and Hill taking on Pearce & Hill. Their midfield is a powerhouse.. but our forwardline takes a nasty dump on theirs. Will be interesting to see if the intensity is cranked up to 11 in this one.. or if it is just another game.

Freo's work on increasing fitness was well publicized at the start of the year. It appears to be working well for them now as they look to have outlasted their opponents in their past 3-4 games (and had the better of the last half against Richmond despite losing).

Hawks haven't had strong first quarters or halves in many games this year. Could be close early and all the way through to the final siren. A battle of attrition. The wet slog the week prior, the longer trip and shorter break may cost Freo here. But Hawks will still be without Roughy who despite not hitting the scoreboard as much recently had still been an important cog in our forward line and I can't see us posting a "demolition" scoreline without his influence.

If you're into betting then either team under 15.5 looks like a good bet. Or under 24.5 to be on the safe side. Would be surprised if it wasn't close.

Yeah would have loved Rough in at the centre clearances against Freo to provide extra grunt. Potentially a great battle on the wings with Smith and Hill taking on Pearce & Hill. Their midfield is a powerhouse.. but our forwardline takes a nasty dump on theirs. Will be interesting to see if the intensity is cranked up to 11 in this one.. or if it is just another game.
Would love a belter. Reckon it's a good time of year to go flat out at each other and test the water. Who knows tho right. Will be interesting as hell either way.

Would love a belter. Reckon it's a good time of year to go flat out at each other and test the water. Who knows tho right. Will be interesting as hell either way.

I'm pretty sure the Hawks will have it cranked up, we can't really afford to drop any games at the moment. This is a bit of an 8 point game for us in terms of locking up a spot in the top 4. Freo have only just been going the last month and you have come off a tough Sunday battle in the wet. On the other hand Hawks 9 day break after a close but relatively uncontested outing against the pies.

Nah. Cards will be kept up sleeves until they need to be produced again in September. Freo will do their usual conservative trip to Tassie, bitch about underserviced connecting flights, and go through the motions on the back of their 12-1 buffer, Hawthorn will notch up another York Park win, and Tassie fans will keep on wishing for an all-Vic matchup because noone down there gives a f### about Freo. Clarkson and Lyon will then go home and work on their respective top secret manifestos on how to beat each other which will bear no resemblance to anything David King says, ready to be unveiled should they meet up again when it counts...

Nah. Cards will be kept up sleeves until they need to be produced again in September. Freo will do their usual conservative trip to Tassie, bitch about underserviced connecting flights, and go through the motions on the back of their 12-1 buffer, Hawthorn will notch up another York Park win, and Tassie fans will keep on wishing for an all-Vic matchup because noone down there gives a f### about Freo. Clarkson and Lyon will then go home and work on their respective top secret manifestos on how to beat each other which will bear no resemblance to anything David King says, ready to be unveiled should they meet up again when it counts...

Tend to agree..

I'm pretty sure the Hawks will have it cranked up, we can't really afford to drop any games at the moment. This is a bit of an 8 point game for us in terms of locking up a spot in the top 4. Freo have only just been going the last month and you have come off a tough Sunday battle in the wet. On the other hand Hawks 9 day break after a close but relatively uncontested outing against the pies.
Agreed that you guys will be in full flight. That said we have been down and are looking to click. From early reports it will be damp at most. We were the cleanest we have been in over a month last week in, at times, heavy duty rain.

I'm 100% sure you guys will turn up and 90% sure we will too. Here's hoping for a cracker!

Good post and I reckon it could be the way it goes

Roughy out is massive as he has been dropping back this year to help out, and doing it very well.

I wish it was at the G though

Hawthorn v Sydney is actually a pretty high drawing fixture. The preceding MCG fixtures drew -

2007 - 48398
2008 - 49529
2009 - 44464
2010 - 36003

It was also the 2011 SF replay
It only became high drawing after 2012. Freo drew more than any of those numbers when they played us in 2013. I agree with the freo fans that the tassie games need a bit more rotation the adelaide clubs don't seem to go there often (particularly crows)

Harsh

You don't hear freo players or coach bitching about two flights

Ross Lyon says "anyone anywhere" or......

I think freo will get chocolates I don't know why ....just think they will ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no connecting flights. It's a direct flight from Perth.

Tassie shouldn't get any games because it's an economic basket case that spends CGC money on propping up Victorian teams.

Our fans are so not fussed about going over for the game that the club ran a competition for two to fly over and see the game.

Looked an okay prize - but to enter you had to prove how far you've gone to follow Freo. People entered with pics of them watching Freo games on the plane and in obscure places etc

I wish it was at the G though
I agree. Hawthorn should only play Melbourne teams at that shithole. Actually shithole is a bit harsh on the ground. I actually think it is a nice place. But * me.... give them a ******* team in Tassie or play Hawthorn home games at the ******* MCG when interstate teams are involved.

It only became high drawing after 2012. Freo drew more than any of those numbers when they played us in 2013. I agree with the freo fans that the tassie games need a bit more rotation the adelaide clubs don't seem to go there often (particularly crows)
No interstate club should go there! They should all be played v Hawks at the MCG. There's enough Vic clubs to take down there without dipping into the interstate pool.

based on recent form, freo will be wiped off the park.
hawthorn by 40 points

however i hope its freo by 1

I dunno, reckon we might come play for a change. Hawks lose this one they then have to go 7 and 1 just to finish 16 and 6. Put more succinctly we knock 'em off here they are half out of the race.
I agree. Freo would be stupid to not come out fists flailing for this one.

Look, I'm not complaining, because we are at a fixtured advantage for once, but................

How the f*** does the AFL fixture Freo to travel to Tassie on a two day less break than Hawthorn?

s**t like this has happened to us plenty of times, and will happen to us, and others, many more, but no club should have to play under that circumstance IMO. It's too much of an advantage/disadvatage in today's football. Especially when it's effectively an 8 point game.

Anyway, hope the weather is ok and the Big Rough is good to go.

Hawthorn have lost their last 8 games when held to 13 or less goals.

Freo have won their last 42 games when they have scored 12 goals or more. The last time Freo scored 12+ goals and lost - rd 20, 2012, v Adelaide.

We can win this week - must not get blown away in the first 10 minutes, must not get involved in a shoot-out and must bring our defensive A game.

Fremantle in 2014 (43,583) drew less than Hawthorn v Sydney in 2007 (48398), 2008 (49529) and 2010 (44464)

I dunno, reckon we might come play for a change. Hawks lose this one they then have to go 7 and 1 just to finish 16 and 6. Put more succinctly we knock 'em off here they are half out of the race.

In terms of top 4, 15-7 should get the business done with a strong percentage

I agree. Hawthorn should only play Melbourne teams at that shithole. Actually shithole is a bit harsh on the ground. I actually think it is a nice place. But **** me.... give them a ******* team in Tassie or play Hawthorn home games at the ******* MCG when interstate teams are involved.

Why?

Why do Hawthorn have to play in Punchbowl (the uber s**t hole) next week?

There are no connecting flights. It's a direct flight from Perth.

Tassie shouldn't get any games because it's an economic basket case that spends CGC money on propping up Victorian teams.
$330 one way if you book with Virgin today. I'm sure Freo, former self-inflicted basket case, is all over that. A progressive development from the days when the Dockers couldn't hang onto either money or players...

I agree. Hawthorn should only play Melbourne teams at that shithole. Actually shithole is a bit harsh on the ground. I actually think it is a nice place. But **** me.... give them a ******* team in Tassie or play Hawthorn home games at the ******* MCG when interstate teams are involved.

Naahhh, screw off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back