Round 15: Hawthorn vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

it's our home ground, Subi is your home ground. If you want more games at the G then relocate to Melbourne
How many did your opponents play in each of those years?

In 1988 they played 12 to our 2, we won by about 16 goals.

For 100 years the Grand Final has been played at the G. 1 or 2 or 3 now 4 teams call it their home ground.

You have 11 home games and your home ground, we only get 10 this year at our home ground.

In 1988 they played 12 to our 2, we won by about 16 goals.

For 100 years the Grand Final has been played at the G. 1 or 2 or 3 now 4 teams call it their home ground.

You have 11 home games and your home ground, we only get 10 this year at our home ground.
You've offered a few incorrect facts up in this thread to conveniently back your skewed argument mate.

You have 11 home games, not 10. So don't cry poor. Go back and check your fixtures, I just did.

For starters, you only travel "on a plane" as you put it, 5 times to play at an opposition ground this year. Not 9 as you have repeatedly stated. You have 4 extra home games that should be at the G. The 1 home game you conveniently left out is at Etihad, again probably sold was it? Either way its not Port's home ground, so whose home game is it? You want to sell them, that's your choice, not the AFLs. So Tassie home games don't count as "travel" I'm afraid. Freo don't get to choose our away games you are right, but Hawthorn (inadvertently) choose Tasmania for us because of your self serving arrangement. That is the point I think us Freo fans are trying to get across to you.

I'm not big on excuses or worrying too much about other teams, but time and time again in this thread the facts being raised are incorrect and they paint a wildly different picture to the truth. My main issue with the Tassie game is that if we play you as a home game, it should be at the G. Let the Dogs, Dees, North, Saints play you down there to honour your arrangement, they get enough "away" games at the G as it is. There's your 4 games. That would actually expose Tasmania to new people who may make actually make the trip down, which would make more sense from a sponsorship side of things. Might actually get some of those people to return to Tassie on holidays, but that's not really the reasoning behind the deal is it? I think it is only fair that Freo get that extra game at the G for touch and exposing the players to a decent sized crowd away from Subi. No one made Hawthorn play home games in Tassie, your mob are paid handsomely for the trouble, why should Freo be the ones to pay the price for your club's coffers?

Chris wobblecheeks connolys spirit lives on at freo
Gee that was clever.

You're quite brilliant Shane.

If that's all you can come up with then I guess I've called you lot on your horse manure.

He said we only have 10 home games at our home ground, which is correct.
We didn't 'sell' our 11th home game as you suggested, the AFL took it off us and said you are playing at Etihad, we had no choice.
I'll give you that. It is still a home game though, whichever way you want to spin it. So both clubs have 11 home games, that was my point.

I'm not accusing Hawthorn of picking Fremantle for the Tassie games for the record, that is absolutely the AFL fixturing.

Chris wobblecheeks connolys spirit lives on at freo

Used to wobble at Injunction Oval-

"In late 1995, Connolly joined the Hawthorn Football Club as reserves coach for the 1996 season. In 1998, he was elevated to the senior assistant coaching role. In 2001, Connolly coached one senior game at Hawthorn (Round 17 vs Carlton), in the absence due to illness of regular senior coach, Peter Schwab."

It's funny how the Eagels or the Swans never cried about us or Collingwood or Geelong guaranteed to get home ground advantage in a GF. Or Port didn't when they were to play 1 of their 2 GFs there. Or Brisbane come to think of it in 3 of their 4...... Best not to use that one again Rob. I want Freo to win a flag if we don't but listening to s**t like that I could easily change my mind.

Actually you do realise that Hawthorn played at the MCG as its away ground for our first 9 premierships. You know in 1989 hawthorn only played 1 home and away game the the MCG.... Did you know that Rob? 1
In 1991 only 1 H&A at the MCG
In 1988 only 3
In 1986 only 3
In 1983 only 1

You want more... In 1998 hawthorn played the same numbers of games at the MCG that we played at the WACA. In 1999 Hawthorn played 2 games in Perth and only 3 at the MCG. In 1987 2 at Subiaco and 3 at MCG.

You know why Rob? It wasn't our ******* home ground FFS.

Remind me why I should care about what Hawthorn did in the VFL a generation ago?

I've noticed a bit in this thread people saying Freo should just bring the reserves side, rest all the stars etc.
Why would you do this? I don't get it.
Does the club want to conceed a game they don't think they can win?

It's funny how the Eagels or the Swans never cried about us or Collingwood or Geelong guaranteed to get home ground advantage in a GF. Or Port didn't when they were to play 1 of their 2 GFs there. Or Brisbane come to think of it in 3 of their 4...... Best not to use that one again Rob. I want Freo to win a flag if we don't but listening to s**t like that I could easily change my mind.

Actually you do realise that Hawthorn played at the MCG as its away ground for our first 9 premierships. You know in 1989 hawthorn only played 1 home and away game the the MCG.... Did you know that Rob? 1
In 1991 only 1 H&A at the MCG
In 1988 only 3
In 1986 only 3
In 1983 only 1

You want more... In 1998 hawthorn played the same numbers of games at the MCG that we played at the WACA. In 1999 Hawthorn played 2 games in Perth and only 3 at the MCG. In 1987 2 at Subiaco and 3 at MCG.

You know why Rob? It wasn't our ******* home ground FFS.

In fairness the 1991 GF was at Waverley...and we had a clear advantage over West Coast that season...

We played 12 games at Waverley in 1991 (for an 11-1 record) whilst the Eagles only played 6 games at the venue (albeit for an impressive 5-1 return)

I've noticed a bit in this thread people saying Freo should just bring the reserves side, rest all the stars etc.

Freo will be resting players at some stage this year. You can bet it won't be a home game so I for 1 would circle the Tassie game. If we able to win with a reserves side it would also give Freo a massive physiological advantage over the Hawks.
We have been rogered royally by the money grabbing grubs at the AFL and we dug OURSELVES out. Ironically we now hand over money with the "equalization policy" to clubs on the teet. Didn't have that when we were $8m in debt, nor massive incentives for new start up clubs in 95. I'm glad the club doesn't but I and I'm sure a lot of other Freo supporters still have a lot of contempt for these pricks. And that's why I love sending Peel Thunder to Antartica!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resting players in the second half of the season is generally a good idea, particularly with an old list like ours. A trip to Tassie is a perfect opportunity to do so. We could be playing Brisbane down there and we would still be advocating for Ross to rest the key players. There is simply no incentive to send our best side on the longest possible road trip in the country in round 15

Resting players in the second half of the season is generally a good idea, particularly with an old list like ours. A trip to Tassie is a perfect opportunity to do so. We could be playing Brisbane down there and we would still be advocating for Ross to rest the key players. There is simply no incentive to send our best side on the longest possible road trip in the country in round 15
This is what I don't get. The travel time is the same as if you were playing at the G. You get direct flights.
So sending a dud side would be conceeding you don't think you can beat Hawthorn in Tassie.
I could understand doing it in the last 2 weeks of the season if you have a home final sewn up or you can't move on the ladder, but round 15??????

Last edited:
Freo will be resting players at some stage this year. You can bet it won't be a home game so I for 1 would circle the Tassie game. If we able to win with a reserves side it would also give Freo a massive physiological advantage over the Hawks.
We have been rogered royally by the money grabbing grubs at the AFL and we dug OURSELVES out. Ironically we now hand over money with the "equalization policy" to clubs on the teet. Didn't have that when we were $8m in debt, nor massive incentives for new start up clubs in 95. I'm glad the club doesn't but I and I'm sure a lot of other Freo supporters still have a lot of contempt for these pricks. And that's why I love sending Peel Thunder to Antartica!
Why the Hawks game though? Shouldn't you rest players in games that you think you can win easily?

In fairness the 1991 GF was at Waverley...and we had a clear advantage over West Coast that season...

We played 12 games at Waverley in 1991 (for an 11-1 record) whilst the Eagles only played 6 games at the venue (albeit for an impressive 5-1 return)

I know, I was there. That was an anomaly of a year as the MCG southern stadium was being built. But I never heard the west coast supporter whinge about it. Go back and see what Rob said.mhe said he was sick of us having a home ground advantage for the GF.mi mentioned that we didn't for our first 9 flags.

Hey be careful, West Coast profits back to the WAFC then to you helped did you out of debt as well.

I'm not sure why people seem to think Fremantle are going to be resting players for this game. There's a very good chance this clash could be a battle for the top four. It could be the difference between a home final or away final if the Dockers lose.

I'm not sure why people seem to think Fremantle are going to be resting players for this game. There's a very good chance this clash could be a battle for the top four. It could be the difference between a home final or away final if the Dockers lose.
I've been trying to get an answer to this as well, it's round 15, not 22.

Youve mostly been rogered by your own clubs incompetance

Never mind, lyon will move on soon and you can scapegoat him

This is what I don't get. The travel time is the same as if you were playing at the G. You get direct flights.
So sending a dud side would be conceeding you don't think you can beat Hawthorn in Tassie.
I could understand doing it in the last 2 weeks of the season if you have a home final sewn up or you can't move on the ladder, but round 15??????

The opponent is irrelevant. We will be resting players at some stage in the second half of the season. It may as well be this one

A trip to Tassie is not the same as a trip to Melbourne, and round 15 is late enough in the season that makes it a perfect game to rest players. Whether we rest them in round 15 or 19 is irrelevant, the week off is the important thing

Youve mostly been rogered by your own clubs incompetance

Never mind, lyon will move on soon and you can scapegoat him

299348_fpx.tif

The opponent is irrelevant. We will be resting players at some stage in the second half of the season. It may as well be this one

A trip to Tassie is not the same as a trip to Melbourne, and round 15 is late enough in the season that makes it a perfect game to rest players. Whether we rest them in round 15 or 19 is irrelevant, the week off is the important thing

Excuses in advance, because the whlesale resting has worked so well in the past

Excuses in advance, because the whlesale resting has worked so well in the past

Every club that is serious about finals rests players in the second half of the year. Some clubs, like yours, just stagger them

We took a week off against St Kilda in 2013 and made the grand final

You're trying to get a rise out of Freo supporters but it's a completely unemotional issue for us. We will probably rest a whole pile of players against you because we are going to Tassie late in the season. It's just a fact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back