Review Round 15 - Sydney Swans versus GWS Giants, SCG, 7.40pm, 28th June

Remove this Banner Ad

If we kicked straight it's not too bad. Sydney had the rub of the green. Biggest positive was the form of Nathan Wilson... Good speed and can really use it by foot. In a couple of years we'll be smashing them.

Good kicking is good football. We were also taking a lot of shots from the fringe of the 50, due to slow ball movement closing off other options.

We butchered a few in front of goals, but then again, so did they. Not really the difference. Real difference was around the ground. They got the bounce of the ball and fumbled it less. Thought the final result was about right. They're at the pointy end of the ladder for a reason.

F#€k it was cold though. I still haven't warmed up.

We butchered a few in front of goals, but then again, so did they. Not really the difference. Real difference was around the ground. They got the bounce of the ball and fumbled it less. Thought the final result was about right. They're at the pointy end of the ladder for a reason.

F#€k it was cold though. I still haven't warmed up.

Their pressure, especially their smothers, were also excellent.

And I thought Mummy had his colors lowered by Pyke.

I'm sure the swans coaches spent the week figuring out how to negate Mumford which in turn would go a long way to negating our midfield. Well done to the swans and pyke.

We'll get em next time boys!

Still standing tall!

jezzweb.jpg
Here's our report on the game..we found the Swans a little too smug to be honest post-match..Thought the GWS did OK in being competitive considering the huge loss of Heath Shaw..the boys didn't drop their heads and fought hard not to be blown away.

From noted Giants tweeter Robert Griffin, he got the story from a private GWS fans Facebook group:
3NSZEBX.jpg

Last edited:
That's terrible news, hope the attackers get their just punishments. I've had a few Twitter conversations with Robert and found him to be a very pleasant person to deal with.

Edit: my mistake it wasn't Rob that was attacked but he was just re-tweeting it. Still the perps should be identified and punished.

Pathetic - just gut-wrenchingly pathetic.

Book needs to be wrapped in a brick and then thrown at them. Absolutely no place for it.

And the swans club needs to condemn it - not enough for the police to do something (though they must) but the swans have to publicly do something or be considered complicit.

That's disgusting, hope they get caught. Should be banned from attending games and have memberships cancelled (if applicable).

Very disappointing. Hopefully he and his parents came away relatively unscathed. 3rd tweet is quite poignant, Swans lose a 15 year member as a result of this incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incident now getting picked up by the press

A Lane Cove man says he was left with concussion and still can’t fully open or close his jaw after he was assaulted by six Sydney Swans fans at the SCG on Saturday night.
Julian Wymer was with his girlfriend, mother and step-father to see the Giants go down to the Swans 8-12 (60) to 15-16 (106).
Mr Wymer, a dual supporter of both clubs, says as he was leaving the MA Noble members’ stand a man in a Swans jersey started swearing and shouting abuse at him for wearing a Giants shirt.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/scg-viole...-concussion-20140629-3b25m.html#ixzz361qUPxyq

Crazy. This is just footy...a game! This brings AFL down to the lows other codes have had great difficulty getting up from. Look at how hard the A League has had to work to get away from the ethnic based violence that marred aussie soccer for so long. Makes me wonder whether I saw these scum on my way out after the game. There was a group of likely looking lads hanging around the back of the new stands.

The worrying thing about that SMH article is that the cops inside the venue let the bastards go because they assumed the Giants supporter was in the wrong.

That to me is extremely worrying.

The worrying thing about that SMH article is that the cops inside the venue let the bastards go because they assumed the Giants supporter was in the wrong.

That to me is extremely worrying.

Last time I got a ticket I assumed I wasn't speeding...
Agree, very wrong and worrying.

Both clubs have a reputation for being family clubs. This is very worrying (more so if the police though the Giants fans were at fault just because we are from the west). Hopefully both clubs unite in stopping this type of thing before it gets worse. Nothing i love more than beating the Swans, but its a game, never should it get violent for the fans and spectators.

Both clubs have a reputation for being family clubs. This is very worrying (more so if the police though the Giants fans were at fault just because we are from the west). Hopefully both clubs unite in stopping this type of thing before it gets worse. Nothing i love more than beating the Swans, but its a game, never should it get violent for the fans and spectators.

Absolutely disgusting act if the report is accurate. I hope the guy is ok - a good mate of mine (who is also a Swans fan) knows him, and I'm hoping will give us an update on his condition soon.

Obviously we are only hearing one side of the story so far, but there should NEVER be a justification for abusing and assaulting someone at the footy. Everyone has a right to go and support their team of choice without drunk idiots getting in their face and worse.

It's disturbing to me as it is out the back of the stand that I sit in this year, and I bring my family and young kids to the footy - what if this person was with young kids and they got in the way and got hurt? Makes me angry to even think about it.

Everyone see the picture of Abbott on the GWS facebook page and the hate it's getting? Pretty funny.

Everyone see the picture of Abbott on the GWS facebook page and the hate it's getting? Pretty funny.
I don't mind politicians supporting footy teams, wearing the gear etc, if they actually support them. I know Abbott has a member's cap in his office, but I'd love to know if that was the first time he'd been to a game.

And yes, I know he's a busy man, but being Treasurer didn't prevent Chris Bowen from going to games at Spotless and sitting with his kids in the Members Reserve.

And yes, I know he's a busy man, but being Treasurer didn't prevent Chris Bowen from going to games at Spotless and sitting with his kids in the Members Reserve.

Yeah, used to see Chris Bowen there all the time. Much more than just a token supporter. Great local MP also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back