Review Round 16, 2014 - Box Hill Hawks v Coburg Lions, 27 July 2014, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, could have sworn it was Jake King wearing #28 for the Coburg Lions reserves. If it wasn't him, it was his doppelganger.

Yes, Lowden only had the one shot on goal but it was from 20 metres out directly in front and he missed very badly. Not sure if it was a bad ball-drop but it looked to me that he tried to poke it through and didn't properly kick through the ball. Consequently, it was never on-line and veered sharply away to miss to the right.

I thought his ruck work was okay but wasn't outstanding. Perhaps my views are coloured by an appalling last quarter collectively from Box Hill where they couldn't buy a clearance for much of the quarter. I wasn't taking meticulous statistics, but Coburg did win a number of consecutive centre square clearances when opposed to both Lowden and Hale at different times.

Although Clarkson had left the ground by the start of the fourth quarter, I'm pretty sure I spotted Fagan hanging around and of course Damian Carroll was present throughout, so he will be apprised of how the VFL team went yesterday.

It looks like they are giving Kelly every chance. He seems like a quality kid. He could end up a 'run with' type. He certainly is getting involved in the play more often. He does need to show a bit between now and season's end.
Anyone know about his tank, been that tall run with player that is good overhead (think Ling) would be a way to reinvent one self. Could he go through the middle?

Interesting stats there. Kelly was better than I thought and Boxer was worse than I thought. Good stats from Haler always good to see him with a couple of contested marks and four tackles.

32 was the 23rd man. In the VFL you can give a kid a run who is not on the list. Stoopid rule as it means you have 5 interchange which is too many.

I like Willsmore a lot. He is a footballer. Must be massive questions on his speed, a guy this good should never have slipped into the rookie draft.

Interesting stats there. Kelly was better than I thought and Boxer was worse than I thought. Good stats from Haler always good to see him with a couple of contested marks and four tackles.
I mentioned that to henry during the game. Played better when he was shifted to the wing found a lot of it and in contested situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me how boxer is going?seems to have drop off the rader lately

Personally I thought he was a bit average against Coburg. I think he's a fair way short of his J.J. Liston Trophy level from last season when he was really leading the way in terms of winning the hard contested football and setting up Box Hill's midfield. From what I observed last Sunday, it seemed that Iles and Lock were doing more of the heavy lifting with Hallahan less involved. With Box Hill missing Woodward due to his contribution to Hawthorn's win over Sydney, I would have thought it was a golden opportunity for Hallahan to remind the coaches of his value as an inside midfielder but I didn't think he did that particularly well.

Just guessing - Hallahan's contract runs out at season's end, and maybe he's been given the word that he's not in future plans. It's often around this time of year that players are told where they stand.

Or maybe he's just out of form.

Either way, you'd have to say he's in trouble.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Mitch. He is strong in the contest, keeps his feet, has good ball retention plus his disposal by hand and foot is usually first class. My take on Mitch's reduced output since he has returned to the BHH is he has been playing more as outside player and a forward probably to develop his versatility. Mitch is a shorter version of Joey Kennedy pre his disastrous transfer to Sydney and needs to work on his endurance running.

Yes, I would agree with that houdinihuddo. He did seem to be spending a lot more of the game away from the packs on Sunday than he has done previously. Clearly there is a development path mapped out for him but I'm concerned that Hawthorn might be trying to force a square peg into a round hole. I see him as a clearance player first and foremost and I'm concerned that if Hawthorn persists in making him play as a more outside player, that would stunt his development of his major skill in the hope he can develop secondary skills.

I'm not entirely clear on his contract situation but I have a feeling that it is up at the end of this season (unless it's been extended) so time is ticking one way or the other.

We are on the same page Dixie. Last year Mitch was a goal kicking mid hence the move forward to further develop that part of his game. I see Mitch as the ideal player to replace Brad Sewell when he retires and if he improves his endurance I believe he will bring improved goal kicking plus cleaner disposal skills.

Just guessing - Hallahan's contract runs out at season's end, and maybe he's been given the word that he's not in future plans. It's often around this time of year that players are told where they stand.

Or maybe he's just out of form.

Either way, you'd have to say he's in trouble.

If those stats of yours are any gauge, then it'd be hard to argue the point....Out of 12 kicks, 9 of em ineffective!....Burns the ball by foot too often & has shown no sign of improvement in this area. A real concern for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back